PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Tour in Mexico - Your Opinion

ImagiAsh
05-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Last week was the first time in four years that I have done the Fiesta Tour in the Mexican Pavilion. Having not remembered anything from my previous trip, I thought I'd give it a try. I was completely unimpressed. To me, it felt completely tacky. I wish they had stayed away from the animation route and went for a ride more centered around the Mexican culture and not Donald Duck. It almost felt like they were mocking Mexican traditions. How do you feel about this ride?

#1donaldfan
05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I loved it !! I like the older version as well, but who doesn't like Donald and his antics !!!???? :thumbsup:

Tinkerbella16
05-01-2012, 03:41 PM
I do miss the original version of this. I feel like its just a crazy chase to get Donald, and you aren't really learning anything about Mexico.. but still I don't mind that too much. Just don't get rid of the boat ride altogether!! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
I know a lot of people truly hate the Stitch attraction at MK and I never quite understood why they felt that way until I rode the revamped fiesta ride in 2008. I absolutely hate it:( I don't really know why except it seems so cheesy and out of place in the pavilion. Really it needs to go:mad:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I agree - it feels so cheesy now! There are so many fairly easy and cheap cool things they could do!

darthmacho
05-01-2012, 05:36 PM
I like both versions, and want them to keep the ride in some form. :mickey:

SBETigg
05-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I love it! I will happily ride it a few times a trip. It lifts my spirits because it is so fun, happy music, nice little boatride, Small World style dolls without the Small World creepiness, bright colors, fast-loading and rarely a line. Plus, Donald and friends. I loved it before the Donald Duck makeover and still love it after. It fits the pavilion. I think World Showcase needs more ride attractions.

slottedpig
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Count me as a loathe. Right up there with Stitch on the what were they thinking scale for me. The original was better but nothing special.

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Honestly, I love it... :)

DizneyRox
05-01-2012, 07:13 PM
We usually just walk right by the whole Pavillion these days. Without the ride, I think you would be hard pressed to get a lot of traffic in there.

The ride itself is really no worse than what was there, it's no better either (frankly, isn't it just a Donald overlay over the same films from yesteryear? I guess the 'finale' is different, but if that's where the majority of the budget was spent, someone got robbed.

SBETigg
05-01-2012, 07:37 PM
We usually just walk right by the whole Pavillion these days. Without the ride, I think you would be hard pressed to get a lot of traffic in there.

The ride itself is really no worse than what was there, it's no better either (frankly, isn't it just a Donald overlay over the same films from yesteryear? I guess the 'finale' is different, but if that's where the majority of the budget was spent, someone got robbed.

So, obviously, El Cava del Tequila holds no appeal for you, but... trust me, it has longer lines and way more apparent interest than the ride. The Mexican pavilion is almost always crowded since Cava opened.

texas211
05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I like the new one, as well as the old one. I agree, it does cheapen the pavilion, as it doesn't offer anything educational. But Epcot as a whole has shifted away from the educational/inspirational theme (TT, Soarin, Mission, etc).

DizneyRox
05-01-2012, 10:50 PM
So, obviously, El Cava del Tequila holds no appeal for you, but... trust me, it has longer lines and way more apparent interest than the ride. The Mexican pavilion is almost always crowded since Cava opened.
Had to look up what it is, haven't been to the world in a while...

Nope, no interest...

jaredkari
05-01-2012, 11:13 PM
I love it! I will happily ride it a few times a trip. It lifts my spirits because it is so fun, happy music, nice little boatride, Small World style dolls without the Small World creepiness, bright colors, fast-loading and rarely a line. Plus, Donald and friends. I loved it before the Donald Duck makeover and still love it after. It fits the pavilion. I think World Showcase needs more ride attractions.

I agree. I like the ride, never much wait if any, it is relaxing and fun. Yes it is cheesy and maybe makes light of some of Mexico's culture but I feel overall it depicts an uplifting impression of Mexico.

I also feel that more pavilions need a ride attraction. Water rides are always great! It doesn't have to be a thrill ride. Those pavilions need something though.

Tink#64
05-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Honestly, we like it! We liked the older version too. Don't get me wrong, not a major fav, but I do think it's a happy little boat ride & we enjoy it. Could it be more educational - sure, but there's some & it's relaxing! It's always on our "To Do" list! :thumbsup:

Gator
05-02-2012, 02:05 AM
I rode it once when it was the old version. BOR-RING! But when the added Donald to it, then it became fun. It still has Mexico elements to it, but it has Donald acting crazy, which I love. And my kids always beg to go on the "Donald Ride". I guarantee no one begged to go on the other ride. Plus the old musical score could make you want to drown yourself in that 18 inches of water:crazy:. Now the music is from a Disney classic, which is more than acceptable.

azcavalier
05-02-2012, 05:58 AM
My DW and kids think i'm nuts, but I really enjoy it. Don't know why exactly. Not a huge Donald Duck fan, but it's just kind of a fun ride. I also love the whole pavilion. I love how it's always twilight there, and it's set up like a Mexican market (albeit, a super clean one).

I love to wake the kids up in the morning by playing the soundtrack to that ride, really, really loud.

Aurora
05-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Plus the old musical score could make you want to drown yourself in that 18 inches of water:crazy:. Now the music is from a Disney classic, which is more than acceptable.

I LOVED the old music. :yay:

I don't care for the new version.

JerseyDad
05-02-2012, 08:39 AM
...although somewhat "dated", I liked the older version much better. Wait...let me re-state that....I really liked the older version...I hate the newer one. There! Much better!!

...the older version seemed to be more of a tour guide view of Mexico...touching on some of the culture, and sights. The newer version is just a lead-in to a sales pitch. And I say that because the FIRST time I rode the new version....as I exited the ride...right there...in front of me.....was a display of plushie 3 Caballeros characters. It just could not be more blatant.

Stu29573
05-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I liked the old version, but I also like the new one. The old version was more dramatic and serious (the educational part is up for debate, as it was seriously outdated) but the new version is lighthearted and brings in some great classic Disney animation. Therefore, in my opinion, its a wash. We hit it once every trip and enjoy it...

DVC2004
05-02-2012, 01:46 PM
I like them both. It's a must ride each trip: brief, light hearted and fun. True, this one isn't really educational but then again I really didn't think the old one was as well. It seemed more like it was a promo for Mexico tourism (remember the people snorkeling in the underwater scene, and the one where the merchants were trying to sell there wares "chasing" the boat?)...some of the aspects are the same really. I don't know that Disney wants to be in the business of promoting other vacation destinations that don't have a Disney connection.

Laughin' place
05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
I like the current version, but really miss the original. Yes some of the scenes were dated, the film was faded, and the whole bartering scene was mildly racist..but I liked it :S

BhamWriter
05-03-2012, 01:25 PM
The new one is the best ride in World Showcase. Of course, there's not much competition (Maelstrom is okay, but too short, and it would have been great had the backwards boat ride turned into a five-story drop a la Splash Mountain!), but it's a fun ride. This is Walt DISNEY World, and Donald Duck is a Disney character, so it seems to me to fit. Plus, the original version was so very, very dated.

disneynarula
05-03-2012, 02:42 PM
I like it and I would hate to see what they would change it too and how long the changes would take.

TheVBs
05-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Couldn't vote because I need just a "like it" option. We enjoy it and the girls like to go on it once or twice every trip. Can't say that I love it.

Jeniflower
05-04-2012, 09:34 AM
I've been on both versions, and when the new version came in, i wasn't sure but i've grown to love it. its a nice relaxing boat ride with Donald and Friends within a beautiful setting.

brownie
05-04-2012, 10:54 AM
I can't say that I love it, but I do enjoy it. So for me, somewhere between indifferent and love it.

AmyCasanova
05-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Hate it. Hate the new ride in Mexico. The screens feel so cheap and dumbed down from what they had before. Granted, I still love the Mexico Pavillion the most (the beautiful scenery in that place is breathtaking) but I have the ridethru of El Rio Del Tiempo on my iPod.

Ian
05-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Indifferent ... liked the old one a little better and think they could have done a lot better with the overlay (feels disjointed to me), but my kids like it and we typically ride it a few times per trip.

It's fun enough, just not a super fan.

Fastpasssteve
05-09-2012, 02:59 AM
I have no strong feelings about the ride...except that I do love a boat ride. I do like the mosaic painting on the walls towards the end of the ride.

Each trip, I make a point to ride it...along with Maelstrom. Same kind of thing. And I AM Norwegian, so I feel compelled.

goofy-4-disney
05-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I voted "indifferent". It's not a ride that we make sure we don't miss. We pretty much just use the ride to rest our feet for a little bit. I did like the older version a little better, but not enough to keep me from riding the new version.

Diznee4Me
05-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Nice break in a restful atmosphere. Like them both about equal - try to ride it about once a trip.

SandmanGStefani24
05-09-2012, 03:19 PM
i can't believe how many likes this ride got!

I can't stand what they did to this ride! It is almost annoying now with the "kiddie" ride aspect going now. No history, no culture anymore, just sillyness.

That being said, if the majority of the WDW fans like it, it should stay as is. I may not like it, but cest la vie. I still ride the ride, but mostly to remember the old version, and to take a relaxing boat/dark ride. Plus I still like the carnival/festival scene and the fireworks at the end. Donald is just at a 10 on this ride, and we need him on about an 8. :D

texas211
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
i can't believe how many likes this ride got!

I can't stand what they did to this ride! It is almost annoying now with the "kiddie" ride aspect going now. No history, no culture anymore, just sillyness.

That being said, if the majority of the WDW fans like it, it should stay as is. I may not like it, but cest la vie. I still ride the ride, but mostly to remember the old version, and to take a relaxing boat/dark ride. Plus I still like the carnival/festival scene and the fireworks at the end. Donald is just at a 10 on this ride, and we need him on about an 8. :D

I think you hit it dead on. I remember when they had more boat/dark rides. A losing icon. I wish more pavilions had something similar.

Joannelet
05-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I have to say the ride is cute and my 3 year old son likes it. :) So it can stay! We do go on it every visit. The old version well I don't remember too much because it was a bit boring to me for some reason. I think Donald spiced it up some. :)

Buttercup
05-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Indifferent ... liked the old one a little better and think they could have done a lot better with the overlay (feels disjointed to me), but my kids like it and we typically ride it a few times per trip.

It's fun enough, just not a super fan.
Exactly what Ian said.
I would enjoy it more if the final scene had some AA's of Donald and his buddies. That would be neat.
I miss the old El Rio de Tiempo music! It was catchy, like the repeating Pirates of the Caribbean music. :thumbsup:

Jared
05-10-2012, 07:01 PM
I kind of like it, I guess. It's a pretty minor attraction that I don't really care about one way or the other, but I prefer it slightly to the old version. Maybe. It's a toss-up.

LudwigVonDrake
05-11-2012, 08:18 PM
I like it!! You can't go wrong with Donald :donald:

finaldynasty
05-12-2012, 09:06 AM
We ride it every time we are in the World...

Crow
05-12-2012, 05:36 PM
I was unsure how to vote..ok it doesnt tell you much about Mexico..and we need more informative things on the countries.
probably appeals to more people now though.
I usually go on it once or twice a visit.
and the pavilion itself is about the best atmosphere wise...
we could use some more rides in the countries
ohh theres tequila there:marg:..that wouldnt make me stop..no not at all...umm

AmandaChan
05-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Okay, I was upset when they changed it b/c I am interested in Mexican culture/spanish language (took 5 years of it, love to speak it) and I thought it was so quirky (the old version) and I thought it was special.. even though a lot of people thought it was trippy and didn't like it. When they changed it to Donald Duck I was not impressed and veryyy disappointed. After seeing Saludos Amigos I kind of fell in love with it again (what an underrated film.. also I'm a huge Mary Blair fan)... I wouldn't say that I agree 100% with the change but I didn't dislike it as much the 2nd time around (after seeing the film) as I did the first. Let's just put it that way. And in my opinion it's nice to have little cozy attractions that do not attract huge lines and are just litte fun things to do. These types of rides are what makes WDW a little more special to me.

Crow
05-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Okay, I was upset when they changed it b/c I am interested in Mexican culture/spanish language (took 5 years of it, love to speak it) and I thought it was so quirky (the old version) and I thought it was special.. even though a lot of people thought it was trippy and didn't like it. When they changed it to Donald Duck I was not impressed and veryyy disappointed. After seeing Saludos Amigos I kind of fell in love with it again (what an underrated film.. also I'm a huge Mary Blair fan)... I wouldn't say that I agree 100% with the change but I didn't dislike it as much the 2nd time around (after seeing the film) as I did the first. Let's just put it that way. And in my opinion it's nice to have little cozy attractions that do not attract huge lines and are just litte fun things to do. These types of rides are what makes WDW a little more special to me.

thats a good way of putting it. i agree, not everything has to be a fast attraction..sometimes its the smaller ones w atmosphere that make a diff between Dis and other amusement parks

IamBelle
05-14-2012, 03:57 PM
I love the newer version with Donald...he's just so cute! I liked the older version too but I think the newer one is better at keeping smaller children interested in the ride, where they can learn a little about Mexico as well....and the song at the end just remains in my head for the rest of the day!

Goes4FastPass
05-15-2012, 10:54 AM
My grandson like this ride but he's 5 and easy to please and he like that there's never a wait. Why is there never a wait? Because this tired travelogue needed a real update instead it got some tres caballeros added in what must have taken a week and cost roughly the amount equal to 23 tacos.

But it's a pleasant moment to sit down in a park where we all walk zillions of steps,

ANG
05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I could take it or leave it. We go back to it because it's an easy ride for me when I was pregnant and our young sons

AJ Springfield
05-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Not a fan of the ride, but not an enemy, either. Yes, it's cheesy...but it was sunny and hot outside and the quiet, cool ride was a welcomed relief!! It brought us into the building and the shopping kept us there for a loooong time. Yes, I think they could re-do the ride and make it better.

DisneyDINK
05-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Better? Worse? I'm not really sure. What I am sure of is that I really like to be able to walk onto attractions here and there and not have to wait in a 45+ min. line every time I want to do anything. I really like attractions like CoP, Tiki Room, SE, JII(wF), etc. Some rides are always going to be more popular than others. I would prefer they hung onto the Grand Fiesta Tour for a while and expanded the park with a new pavilion/ride.

If you're going to redo an attraction begin with Sounds Dangerous at DHS. (Actually, it looks like they just closed this one on May 18th according to that Wiki-somethingorother-site.) website.)

DonLefNY
05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
I'll take some time to ride it if it is real hot outside and need an AC break. Or I'll ride it during a downpour outside. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2012, 03:13 PM
I have been reading all the comments and opinions... I do prefer and like the new version... I love the music... I'd take this version of the previous version...

I do agree with those who said the first version was cheesy... I don't know if anyone meant cheesy in a good way or bad way... I prefer to think of El Rio del Tiempo ad cheesy in a good way... I cannot explain it...

I don't wish for the old version to come back... But I do find myself listening to the theme song over and over on my iPod :)

DNS
05-29-2012, 05:55 PM
It is not a thrill ride in any way, but I think it is cute. We almost always ride it.

c&d
05-30-2012, 09:21 AM
It's kinda like Country Bears not one I need to see every year but when we do it after having not seen it for a while it's fun.

TexasRoni
06-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I like this ride for two reasons. (1) There's almost never a long wait for it and (2) it's a good "starter" ride for little kids who aren't ready for thrill rides but want to feel like a big kid going on rides with everyone else. I can't tell you how excited they are to have gone on the "boat ride in the dark" and how they "weren't even scared". :)

ImagiAsh
06-02-2012, 01:58 PM
I am impressed by the amount of responses this thread has brought in. While I do not like the ride as is, I still go on it at least once every time I am there. I can hop on without a wait and relax for a bit (especially on a hot day). I would still vote to keep a boat ride in Mexico, but I would just love to see a complete change in the story and design of the ride. :mickey:

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
06-02-2012, 04:16 PM
I really love this Ride its a fun little look at the Three Caballeros cartoon and the characters. I wouldnt say its making fun of Mexican culture I mean you have to take into fact this is disney world they are going to put disney characters in some places like (The seas pavillion). I mean it just happens sometimes but I personally enjoy the change to this ride. :dumbo:

Jillirose
06-02-2012, 08:30 PM

We feel the same :thumbsup: