PDA

View Full Version : Requesting an Upgrade

lizerbug
04-30-2012, 04:04 PM
I am planning my 4th trip to WDW for April 2013. I have never asked for an upgrade. I was always just happy to be there. I thought I would try my luck with my next trip. When is the best time to ask, at check in?

LynneM
04-30-2012, 06:18 PM
If you're wanting to pay to upgrade your room, I'd just book the upgrade now. Availability may be limited to non-existent for the room type you want by the day of check-in , and you may lose any discounts you had on your reservation - upgrades are often at rack rate.

If you're planning to ask for a free upgrade at check-in, you're not likely to be successful. I've seen enough posts from current and former front desk CMs saying that even if they had a complimentary upgrade to give out, they'd never give it to someone who asked for a freebie.

At Disney resorts, upgrades are generally done for the resorts' own operational needs, and are assigned before you even check in. It's pretty unusual for a front desk CM to be able to upgrade someone, and when they can, they much prefer to spread a little pixie dust and surprise someone.

If you look at the upgrade threads, you'll notice a common theme - guests saying 'we were SO surprised!'.

faline
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
If you ask for an upgrade, be prepared to pay for the upgraded room.

BrerGnat
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
When you ASK for an upgrade, a CM will happily offer you one, so long as you cough up the extra $$$ for the upgrade. You will never get a "free" upgrade at Disney by asking. Not unless you are tagged for an upgrade anyway, and that would be quite an unlikely coincidence.

I once asked for an upgrade that I was WILLING to pay for. I wanted to go to CL at the Wilderness Lodge. I was quoted a junior suite upgrade for an additional $350/night because that was all they had left! Um...no thanks, I said.

greengeen
04-30-2012, 07:13 PM
If you ask for an upgrade when you check, you'll have to pay for it.

If you don't ask, you may get one; but the chance is about 1 in a million at the values, 1 in 100,000 at the mods, and 1 in 1,000 at the deluxe... it's just not common.

Polynesian Dweller
04-30-2012, 07:33 PM
As a hotelier, I can tell you that all upgrades are given for the business reasons of the hotel and losing revenue is not one of those reasons. Asking for a free upgrade is the number one best way to ensure you don't get one industry wide.

SBETigg
04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I've asked for an upgrade that I was willing to pay for, and it didn't work out. We booked the Poly for our anniversary and we were hoping for MK or lagoon view club level. Unfortunately, nothing was open in club level when we booked. We checked again at check-in in case, but still no luck. Though we did get a wonderful room with a lagoon view at garden view rates (not an upgrade, just a good room in Fiji). I would never ask for an upgrade that I wasn't prepared to pay for. We did get a complimentary view upgrade once at the GF, which was a nice unexpected bonus that we did not request.

waymickey
04-30-2012, 08:51 PM
I have never asked for a upgrade but got one twice! We were at WL both times.

Now that I see that you never ask unless you want to pay extra I feel extra lucky to have gotten upgraded! :mickey: Thank you Disney !!!

lizerbug
05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm just going to be so happy to be there again I won't mind if we're not offered one. There's no place like WDW!!!!!!

Mousemates
05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
we've been complimentary upgraded several times but have never asked for one (that we did not fully expect to pay for).