PDA

View Full Version : have you ever been fired?

Tiggerlovr9000
04-29-2012, 03:41 AM
My ds gave 2 weeks notice at his job. Things have been very tense and his boss has been impossible. Anyway so the day after he gave his notice she made up some ridiculous excuse to fire him. My question is what do you say at a job interview about being fired?

Cinderelley
04-29-2012, 06:10 AM
I know that here, employers aren't allowed to ask if you were fired or not. Only when you worked there and if you are allowed back or not. If asked about his previous job, I would just talk about reasons why he gave his notice . . . giving it a postive spin like an opporrtunity to grow or something.

DizneyRox
04-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Ummm... If he gave his notice first, he wasn't fired in my book. In my field, they usually don't let you work out your two weeks anyway. Too many security risks.

BrerGnat
04-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Ummm... If he gave his notice first, he wasn't fired in my book. In my field, they usually don't let you work out your two weeks anyway. Too many security risks.

Yep. This is commonplace. He was not fired, he was "let go".

The two weeks notice thing is a joke nowadays. Most people resign "effective immediately."

Ed
04-29-2012, 09:16 AM

:ditto:

Many employers don't want to take the chance of having an employee who is on his/her way out possibly doing things that might damage the company or who might influence others to also resign. In most such cases, they just pay the employee for that two weeks and have them leave the same day they submit their notice.

micky95
04-29-2012, 09:21 AM
i've been fired a few times in my 36 years of employment.(started building houses during the summer with an uncle at 14yrs old)sometimes i deserved it other times it was personality conflicts.the most memorable one was when my supervisor called me on christmas day to fire me.i was 28 with 2 kid and the whole young adult responsibility thing going on.the branch manager kept me on the payroll for 4 weeks while he investigated and 2 weeks later i was rehired.i 've been self employed since 1998 when i took my part time business full time.tell you son that its part of life. i've always found greener grass on the other side so ihope he does too.:thumbsup:

SBETigg
04-29-2012, 12:51 PM
I would be honest about the situation. Present it without any hard feelings, or assumptions. just the facts. I think future employers would understand. This happens all the time, and I don't think anyone would hold it against a qualified job candidate.

NewDVCowner
04-29-2012, 01:57 PM
At least out here in California if you're fired you qualify for unemployeement benefits. If you quit I think it's a little bit more of a grey area. He should look into that.

Tiggerlovr9000
04-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Before he gave his notice she accused him of not emailing her certain information which resulted in missed dead lines etc. He did send them to her but unfortunately she took his lap top before he was fired and now has no proof. It is her and her husbands company so it doesnt matter anyway. Well he definitely got an education with this job. It was his first after graduating from college. I am sure he will have no problem getting a new one but it still makes you angry to be treated this way. :mad::mad:

MPTimon
04-30-2012, 08:45 AM
So, he gave notice without having another job lined up? Awfully risky in this economy, don't you think?

Tiggerlovr9000
04-30-2012, 08:56 AM
So, he gave notice without having another job lined up? Awfully risky in this economy, don't you think?

He has been working 2 jobs since Dec. of 2010 without out taking one sick day and only 3 personal days. He works 30 plus at the other job. When I said first job since graduating I ment using his degree..

BrerGnat
04-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Before he gave his notice she accused him of not emailing her certain information which resulted in missed dead lines etc. He did send them to her but unfortunately she took his lap top before he was fired and now has no proof. It is her and her husbands company so it doesnt matter anyway. Well he definitely got an education with this job. It was his first after graduating from college. I am sure he will have no problem getting a new one but it still makes you angry to be treated this way. :mad::mad:

Sounds like he isn't missing out on anything by NOT working for this company anymore. I have worked for a couple "small" family owned companies. BAD experiences all around. I recommend not doing that for a long term job.

Disney Doll
04-30-2012, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't even mention it as a firing. He gave a notice so he initiated the parting of ways and that's how I would present it if it comes up.

My husband is in retail management and it's very common in his line of work. It's an LP issue and nothing personal. You make yourself an easy scapegoat when you give notice. Anything that goes wrong in those last weeks can be pinned on the guy who's on his way out. Letting someone go early is in the best interest of both parties. Most companies will go ahead and pay you so as to avoid any wrongful termination stuff, but will let you know not to report to work.

ElenitaB
04-30-2012, 08:59 PM
I have worked for a couple "small" family owned companies. BAD experiences all around.
:exactly:
I've been "downsized" twice but only fired once and it was from a family-owned company. Never again!

Glad your DS was able to learn on that job. Onward and upwards, I say!

DizneyRox
05-01-2012, 06:20 AM
So, he gave notice without having another job lined up? Awfully risky in this economy, don't you think?Depending on the field, not really a concern. I get calls from headhunters daily. The tech sector is hiring like mad!

joonyer
05-01-2012, 01:05 PM
He should be prepared to be completely honest about everything. If a new employer does a background check, they may get the previous employer's position/opinion as to why he is no longer employed there. He can't risk not being completely candid with a new employer if they ask him about it. Being deceitful and dishonest will get you in a lot more trouble with a new employer than any mistakes you may have made on a previous job.