PDA

View Full Version : The lovebugs are back

WDWdriver
04-26-2012, 06:16 PM
They're baaaaaack! Yes, the lovebugs -those annoying but harmless little bugs that fly aimlessly around hooked together in pairs. They are a bit early this year, as their normal "seasons" are May and September. They usually stay around for three to five weeks. You might not see many in the parks, but those driving along Florida roadways may find the front of their cars covered by black bugs, particularly during mid-morning hours and just before sunset. It is best to remove the critters from cars as soon as possible because the acid contained in their bodies can pit the car's paint.

The most annoying thing about lovebugs is that they are totally aimless. If you encounter some of them in the parks they may fly into your drink, food or hair. They will stick to sunscreen. There's not much you can do about it.

Disney Hungarian
04-26-2012, 06:34 PM
I must admit; every time I have love bugs swarm me, I am so thankful that they don't bite. :thumbsup:

Melanie
04-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Really? Haven't seen any in the Tampa area yet.

faline
04-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Are there loads this year? Or is it a light season?

AgentC
04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
I saw a few on Sunday before we left. Pretty light so far.

We haven't gotten them here yet.

Christine
04-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Oh my yes! They're definitely out- not as heavy as last season (when our white patio furniture looks black because it's so covered), but enough to annoy the snot out of you! Sitting in my patio today I was swatting then out of my hair and face.
Really dislike those things! :sick:

AgentC
04-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh my yes! They're definitely out- not as heavy as last season (when our white patio furniture looks black because it's so covered), but enough to annoy the snot out of you! Sitting in my patio today I was swatting then out of my hair and face.
Really dislike those things! :sick:

Yuck! We never get them that bad here. Mainly they annoy me when I drive and pump gas. Maybe it is because I live closer to the water?

MNNHFLTX
04-27-2012, 10:38 AM
We haven't seen any here in Texas (at least not where I live). They don't bother me that much--I'll take them any day over mosquitoes!

Sylvia
04-27-2012, 12:54 PM
ONE WORD - UGH!!!

But they won't keep me from enjoying myself in only 13 days.

HOOAH!!!

Nascfan
04-27-2012, 01:02 PM
It is best to remove the critters from cars as soon as possible because the acid contained in their bodies can pit the car's paint.

This is very good advice, thank you Ron. We drove down to Sanibel last May and didn't know about the acid. The front of our van has noticable spots where they were and we didn't get them removed in time.

grumpyguy
04-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Ah yes...the time of year that I'm REALLY glad not to be the front of a Disney bus!!!
They must use some kind of industrial strength,secret Disney windshield washer solvent to keep the bus winshield's clean!

mom2morgan
04-30-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm REALLY dreading this in September, because I've always been quite afraid of bugs :-(

ImagiAsh
04-30-2012, 06:30 PM
I've been at the Polynesian all weekend and only saw a handful of love bugs at the resort. I haven't seen a single one in any of the parks yet. Maybe Disney sprays something to eliminate them or maybe the season hasn't kicked into high gear yet.

sportsguy2315
04-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Ah yes...the time of year that I'm REALLY glad not to be the front of a Disney bus!!!
They must use some kind of industrial strength,secret Disney windshield washer solvent to keep the bus winshield's clean!

When I bussed on Electric Umbrella's patio, the bugs (pardon the pun) loved the tables! One or two squirts of the liquid we use to clean tables was enough to paralyze them and then I picked them up with some paper towel. In the trash they went.