PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Blu-ray player

Mr. Brass Bonanza
04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm going to buy my first Blu-ray player...nothing fancy...a Panasonic on amazon.com for $65 until I get a new 3D TV...then I'll get a really good one. But for now, this will do.

What do I need to buy to hook it up to my TV, as it doesn't come with any cables?

Thanks!

Ed
04-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Make sure the TV has a HDMI input, and buy a good quality HDMI cable in order to get the best quality out of the BluRay player. Using anything other than HDMI will produce poor quality.

DizneyRox
04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Hook up in the following order from best to worst:

HDMI
Component
S-Video
Composite

HDMI will carry both audio and video, the others are audio only. You don't have to spend a mint on cables, I use $10 HDMI cables I got off newegg and they work great.

You'll need either HDMI or Component to support HD video.

For 3D you'll need something to work with HDMI 1.4a which is a measurement of bandwidth rather than the connector on the end.

If you have a receiver, you need to figure out what it accepts. The above are video hookups. There are a number of audio hookups too.

Personally, 3D isn't worth it for the home, nobody I know wants to wear glasses, and it seems the better they work, the more expensive the glasses.

GAN
04-24-2012, 05:30 AM
If you'll be using HDMI and are already picking up the BD through Amazon -they have very good cables for around $10 as well. Regarding 3D(down the road), be sure you're receiver will convert 3D -not all mid-high range units will do this.

I have a 46" Samsung LED, and it's a 3D unit. I wasn't necessarily looking for 3D, but seemed all the best displays were coming with it -so I went with what was the best irregardless of 3D. I must say, the TV itself is stunning ...the 3D is simply AMAZING. Yeah, my wife said who wants to wear those stupid glasses -apparently she does and is sold. It's the depth that it provides that brings you into the story, not really the gimmicks(although there are some) that are interesting. We hardly know the glasses are on. This is for 3D movies I'm talking about, not general TV viewing -although I could/have used it for that purpose .. that hasn't really intrigued me.

VWL Mom
04-24-2012, 09:01 AM
If you'll be using HDMI and are already picking up the BD through Amazon -they have very good cables for around $10 as well. Regarding 3D(down the road), be sure you're receiver will convert 3D -not all mid-high range units will do this.

Recently got the metabridge HDMI through Amazon for $11.59. What a difference in quality from the component cable and what a difference in price from what they wanted around here.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-24-2012, 10:29 AM
As others have said - check for the connections on your current TV and if you have HDMI - that's the best way to go and getting a cable on Amazon is the cheapest way to go.

Have fun. We have a 3D capable TV, but have chosen not to upgrade our blu-ray player to 3D capability as of yet.

Mr. Brass Bonanza
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
So if my TV has a HDMI connection, a HDMI cable is all I need?

BrerGnat
04-24-2012, 11:24 AM
So if my TV has a HDMI connection, a HDMI cable is all I need?

Yes, and no need to spend over $10 on one. Amazon has plenty of good ones for about $10. Electronics people will try to convince you that you need to spend $100 on a gold plated Monster Brand HDMI cable. Nothing could be further from the truth.