PDA

View Full Version : 911 Nightmare

Disney4us2
04-23-2012, 02:57 PM
We had a real scare on Friday night. I was in bed around 11:45pm when I heard a crash. My (91 almost 92yo) father was going into the shower and the bath mat moved. He fell backward and hit his back and head on the cabinets. He also bruised his right thigh. Luckily we have a bathtub room separating our bathrooms so I could get to him since the door was closed and the shower door open. He finally managed to scoot so I could get the bathroom door open.

There was no way for me to lift him. I could try, but don't know if my back was strong enough. Called 911 and they were there withoug the lights and sirens. Had him lifted up in just a few seconds. Checked him out and left,

He had an appointment Friday morning with his doctor. He was sent for a CAT scan after the visit. If there was a subdural hematoma he would be sent across the street to the hospital for admission. Luckily, his scan was clear. My father is like the Energizer Bunny... he just keeps going and going,

Yesterday he left with the seniors for a trip to Laughlin, NV. He was so determined to go and I really didn't want him to.

This prompted me to go and get some grab bars for the shower as well a a new bath mat. From now on (or at least for a while) I think I will have to assist him in & out of the shower, even though it is a walk in type. You still have to step into it. That night was quite a nightmare. Things could have been soooo much worse than a scrapped shoulder and bruised hip. I am determined to get him to 92 this June and beyond.

I had the house baby proofed once... now I need to elder proof. Any suggestions/ideas for elder proofing?

Lizzy
04-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Wow I am glad he is ok. What a scare.

I have no senior proofing experience but am wishing you all the best with your dad!

Disney Doll
04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Google Active Forever. There are all kinds of handicap aids that may be useful depending on his situation. My mom uses a bath chair and a handheld shower head.

VWL Mom
04-23-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm glad your dad's okay, it must have been very scary.

Can he roll a metal walker in the shower type you have? He would then have it with him to maintain balance in the shower too.

Disney4us2
04-23-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm glad your dad's okay, it must have been very scary.

Can he roll a metal walker in the shower type you have? He would then have it with him to maintain balance in the shower too.

My brother has a folding metal walker from his back surgery. It is a good idea. :thumbsup: I did put some grab bars in the shower. I have to check them each use as they are the movable suction cup type.

clausjo
04-23-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't really have and suggestions, but wanted to say I'm glad he's okay!

Scar
04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Replace the bathroom door with an acordian door.

dnickels
04-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I have to check them each use as they are the movable suction cup type.

It might be worth it to have actual grab bars installed and not the suction cup type. Those suction cup ones can provide a false sense of security until someone leans on them a little too hard and they give way.

Ed
04-23-2012, 10:21 PM
It might be worth it to have actual grab bars installed and not the suction cup type. Those suction cup ones can provide a false sense of security until someone leans on them a little too hard and they give way.

Exactly. If the wall has any texture to it, the suction cups will not hold very long. The safest type screw firmly into the wall studs with long screws. Don't trust any kind of "wall anchors" that simply expand in the tile and drywall; they will quickly fail. It may take some effort to locate the studs and drill through the tile, but the extra support is well worth it. Better safe than sorry.

Glad your dad is okay! :thumbsup:

Tiggerlovr9000
04-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Marcie this had to be so scary for you. I am so glad that he is okay.

laprana
04-24-2012, 09:59 AM
I dont' have any advice to offer, but just wanted to say that I'm so glad your dad was OK! How scary that had to have been for all of you. A fall like that can be so dangerous for someone his age. Sounds like he had a little guardian angel on his shoulder that night! :thumbsup:

minnie04
04-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Glad to hear he was ok. I would suggest making sure the lights are bright and he can see were things are (maybe tape) to show the way or where there might be a step or two. just little things to help him. Make sure someone is around to help (if you can) bath chair, suction cup rails, no clutter around, easy access to the things he needs, and maybe a monitor in the room when he is in the shower or bathroom. this way he can call for help if he needs it.

Wolf
04-25-2012, 10:40 AM
I have no help about how to make the house easier for him, but I wanted to tell you I'm so glad he's okay!!