PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West opinions

Mickey052501
04-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Hello Intercot Friends:

My DH and I are going to be staying in a 3-bedroom Grand Villa with our friends and wondered if you could recommend a location and what you thought about the resort. Such as suggestions, pros and cons, etc.

Thanks,
Jen

LoriSan
04-23-2012, 04:11 PM
We stayed there in Jan and decided that we loved it IF we had our own transportation. The villas were great, but the Disney buses made many stops before even leaving the resort.

disneykidsince1970
04-23-2012, 06:23 PM
We stayed in grand villa at Sara springs
Sat year and it was great- lotsnof space forninteracting and hanging out without being crowded. We were not happy with our particular unit at all - for the money, I wanted everything t be shiny and new and it wasn't. Clean yes. Worn down ....also yes. I rented points and the owner assured me that the wear and tear i had described was unusual. I just got back from bay lake tower (2 bedroom) and I am not so sure. ??

That being said, it doesn't stop me from continuing to go and stay in dvc units! :mickey:

faline
04-23-2012, 06:37 PM
We stayed in a two bedroom in December and greatly enjoyed our stay. We were right across the street from Hospitality House. Our stop was the last one before heading to the parks which worked well. On the way back, we could get off at the first stop and walk back to our unit so we didn't have to make the multiple stops all the way around - worked well for us.

We didn't spend much time enjoying the resort amenities but did have dinner one night at the restaurant where we enjoyed excellent service and decent food.

MickeyMousse
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree with Faline, the villas across from Hospitality seem to be the best location for access to restaurants, main pool, and the bus stop.

However, we loved our quiet corner in building #39. Far enough away to not be in the midst of everyone but close enough to walk to the bus stop and Hospitality.

We only had breakfast at Olivia's...DH and DS10 loved their omlettes, DS15 had their cuban breakfast sandwich (fantastic!) and I had the banana bread french toast, which was very good but VERY sweet, so I couldn't finish it. Service was good, even sent us packing with complimentary coffees for everyone!

They don't seem to have very many boats in stock to rent at the marina. Even first thing in the AM, before the marina opened, they only had a total of about 7 boats.

Pirate Granny
04-25-2012, 07:43 PM
There is only one GV by HH...we had a GV in bldg 22, Miller Road... All GV's are on the second and third floors...the master down the other two bedrooms are upstairs...we loved it...so much that we bought into DVC after that visit. Been back in a wonderful Studio, last Nov. Going back in June to a 2 bedroom.

Mickey052501
04-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Thank you everyone. It sounds like being near HH is a good idea.

Jen

CosmicRay
04-26-2012, 12:05 PM
We are hoping to get a GV at OKW. We got to walk through one during our last trip and they looked nice!

Ed
05-04-2012, 08:56 AM
We're at OKW right now in a 2BR villa in building 34 - Turtle Pond area. The villa is great, the area quiet (even though we're right across the street from a bus stop), and the wireless 'net works great. This is our fourth or fifth stay here in the last few years; the fact that we keep coming back clearly says something positive about the resort.

epceddie
05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
We love everything about Old Key West. We stayed in Building 14 right across from the Hospitality House on our last trip and enjoyed the river and golf course view. We spent a quiet afternoon sitting out on the patio during a thunderstorm and it felt like we were the only ones at the resort.
We also like Buildings 45 or 46 with a river view. My wife loves sitting on the patio with her morning coffee watching the boats headed to Downtown Disney go by.