PDA

View Full Version : May Have to Cancel my trip this week.

julyjewel
04-22-2012, 09:06 PM
We were slated to leave for Disney this Wed. My 9 yr old son got sick and he ended up having surgery this weekend for his appendix. His grandparents are willing to take him while we take our daughter. If he doesn't get out of the hospital by Tuesday, we will not go all otgether. My question is..If we do get to go..what would you reccomend as a spectacular/ unique present to bring him back. By the way, we r taking him this fall.

JoDisney
04-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Won't Disney allow you a refund on this trip because of this emergency with your son? Or at least, won't Disney let you reschedule this trip for another date or apply money reserved for Fall trip?

BrerGnat
04-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Wow, what horrible timing! That stinks. :(

Why would you go without him? That doesn't seem fair. Not to mention, you don't think you should be around during his recovery? What if he has some sort of complication (it does happen...I had a "simple" laprascopic gallbladder removal and one of my incisions had a serious complication a week later).

I'd call Disney and see what they can do. Even if you have to cancel and reschedule, that seems like the best option. You might be out some money, but that's just how it is. Did you not purchase trip insurance? We always do now that we have kids...this kind of stuff always seems to happen right before vacation. ;)

An uncomplicated appendectomy doesn't require more than 24 hours in the hospital following surgery, so I hope everything goes okay and he is released soon. Ask his doctor about taking him on the trip. He might clear him to go with restrictions.

brownie
04-23-2012, 11:35 AM
That's a bummer, but family first. If it were me, as much as I'd hate to, I'd cancel and re-book for another time. I hope your son has a speedy recovery.

minnie04
04-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Wow poor kid , but thats a no brainer... Cancel and rebook the trip. I wouldnt be able to go knowing he is not feeling well while im gone. That might just be me, but I dont think I would have a good time with out him. I think the age has something to do with it. If he were older (15 or 16). I might not think about it so much, but 9 is still young to me to be home after something like surgery. I know his grandparents will take the best care of him, but still. I would want to be home just in case. Maybe let you DH & DD go alone on the trip what a nice way for them to bond while you take care of your Son...

As far as a gift for not going. I wouldnt have a clue. I(DS) would just want to be there with you guys!!!! It would stink to hear how much fun everyone had while I (DS) was home..

julyjewel
04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
The good news is that my son came home today! We aren't going but we did call Disney and asked what we could do. They are offering my son a free trip for 2 at a Value for the fall. The airline isn't as cooperative. Eventhough we are out over $5,000, I'm glad he will get to go.

dnickels
04-23-2012, 07:36 PM
... Eventhough we are out over $5,000, I'm glad he will get to go.

Disney didn't refund the money? I'd call back and keep going up the food chain until you get someone who would offer to refund the money. Disney is usually pretty good about these sorts of things in a situation (emergency surgery) like this.

BrerGnat
04-24-2012, 09:09 AM
The good news is that my son came home today! We aren't going but we did call Disney and asked what we could do. They are offering my son a free trip for 2 at a Value for the fall. The airline isn't as cooperative. Eventhough we are out over $5,000, I'm glad he will get to go.

How are you possibly out $5,000???

Did you book a package? If so, you should get all but $200 back. If you booked a room only, you will only be out one night's deposit.

EVERY airline allows changes to be made, unless you booked some sort of "no change, no cancel" fare. They charge about $100-150 per ticket to make a change, and you have to fly within a year of the ticket being issued, but you can reschedule.

I'm just not getting why you are out so much money?

I'm very confused about this...

minnie04
04-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Happy to hear he is home. I also dont understand why the money is so high:confused: . I hope you can figure out how to make it work to your advantage. If Disney is working with you. There has to be something the airline can do.

Kenny1113
04-24-2012, 06:38 PM
I would keep trying with the airlines. Several years ago DH was diagnosed with cancer and would be going through his chemo treatment at the same time we had a trip booked. I called th airlines and after speaking with (and emailing) several people we got a refund on the non-refundable tickets. We were very grateful! :)

julyjewel
04-24-2012, 06:48 PM
We got things squared away and have rescheduled for September. We found out we will be there for Free Dining. I'm glad everything is worked out and we have decided to stay a little longer in September. My son was so happy to know that we are going to stay longer. I meant 5000 including airfare. We had booked a 7 day stay at a moderate and then the airafre was figured into that.