PDA

View Full Version : Fantasyland Expansion Queue Lines?

jaredkari
04-18-2012, 09:26 PM
The other day my wife and I were discussing how queue lines are so important to an attraction experience and how they are really lacking theming in Fantasyland. I was wondering if anyone knew, in the new attractions being built in the expansion is there going to be more theming to the queues or are they going to remain simple to match other queues in the existing fantasyland attractions?:mickey:

MickeysBestPal
04-18-2012, 11:19 PM
The other day my wife and I were discussing how queue lines are so important to an attraction experience and how they are really lacking theming in Fantasyland. I was wondering if anyone knew, in the new attractions being built in the expansion is there going to be more theming to the queues or are they going to remain simple to match other queues in the existing fantasyland attractions?:mickey:

Dumbo will have a very special NextGen Queue.
It is designed so that guests do not have to wait in line to board the attraction.
They will be given "flight numbers" (or some such) and they are free to roam around the large interior area of the new Dumbo queue building (interactive games, maybe a shop and/or refreshments, some places to sit down, (likely) restrooms available in the building) until they are notified (TV monitors?)
that their boarding time is approaching.

Winnie the Pooh has already had a complete queue makeover with interactive elements.

Peter Pan's queue area is being completely overhauled to add interactivity.

The new Little Mermaid ride will have a "special" queue.
And, although we don't KNOW for sure, I must figure that the new 7 Dwarf's Mine Coaster will offer an interestingly-themed queue.

DizneyFreak2002
04-18-2012, 11:26 PM
The 7DMT will have an interactive queue as well...

lettripp
06-10-2012, 12:21 PM
It is designed so that guests do not have to wait in line to board the attraction.
They will be given "flight numbers" (or some such) and they are free to roam around the large interior area of the new Dumbo queue building (interactive games, maybe a shop and/or refreshments, some places to sit down, (likely) restrooms available in the building) until they are notified (TV monitors?)
that their boarding time is approaching.

Winnie the Pooh has already had a complete queue makeover with interactive elements.

Peter Pan's queue area is being completely overhauled to add interactivity.

The new Little Mermaid ride will have a "special" queue.
And, although we don't KNOW for sure, I must figure that the new 7 Dwarf's Mine Coaster will offer an interestingly-themed queue.

I just saw the video on the Disney Park's blog that shows the new Dumbo experience... and it looks AMAZING!!!!! Hands down - best interactive queue idea ever.

Ian
06-10-2012, 04:12 PM
that their boarding time is approaching.Now see THIS is a great idea. This is innovative and "next gen" in a good way instead of the lame-o, corny, carnival-ish way they've done interactive in some of the other queues.

I could get behind this idea ... I find it very intriguing!

Dulcee
06-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Huh the Dumbo queue is a genius idea. A whole lot less toddler melt downs on hot days!

DizneyFreak2002
06-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Now see THIS is a great idea. This is innovative and "next gen" in a good way instead of the lame-o, corny, carnival-ish way they've done interactive in some of the other queues.

I could get behind this idea ... I find it very intriguing!

Did you see the new Dumbo waiting area??? it is lame-o, corny, and carnival-ish... Done on the cheap, looks like a glorified McDonalds play area... Nothing interactive or NextGen about it..

The call system is a pager you get at a restaurant.. Now THAT is some hi-tech equipment there... Something that has been around for how many ten's of years already???

Will it occupy 3 years old and 30 year old with 8 year old mentalities?? yes... but that doesn't excuse the slop job Disney did with the waiting area..

ANG
06-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I also saw the video on the Park's blog.

Very cool but it still seems overwhelming to the younger kids (my 1 yr old and autistic 3 yr old). Inside, while I'm glad it should be cooler, what about the sound and lights? People all over the place.....

And I just love how they show maybe a dozen kids in there?

jennsky
06-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Wow! The Dumbo queue looks unbelievable! My family will totally love that! Let's hope all the other new Fantasyland queues will be just as awesome!

Ian
06-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Did you see the new Dumbo waiting area??? it is lame-o, corny, and carnival-ish... Done on the cheap, looks like a glorified McDonalds play area... Nothing interactive or NextGen about it..

The call system is a pager you get at a restaurant.. Now THAT is some hi-tech equipment there... Something that has been around for how many ten's of years already???

Will it occupy 3 years old and 30 year old with 8 year old mentalities?? yes... but that doesn't excuse the slop job Disney did with the waiting area..I haven't seen the execution, no. I was only commenting on the concept.

Dulcee
06-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Will it occupy 3 years old and 30 year old with 8 year old mentalities?? yes... but that doesn't excuse the slop job Disney did with the waiting area..

Does everything have to be high tech and next gen? My 3 year old nephew is far more amused by a slide and a ball pit then he is by an ipad and a tv screen.

For a ride that's really targeted towards young children and more "traditional" type attractions I don't see anything wrong with it being a place for kids to let off some steam. And really, the whole idea of not waiting in a typical line is pretty far off from standard theme park mentality.

DizneyFreak2002
06-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I haven't seen the execution, no. I was only commenting on the concept.

Too bad they didn't carry out the concept as described.. I.E. they cheapened out...

DizneyFreak2002
06-10-2012, 10:47 PM
I also saw the video on the Park's blog.

Very cool but it still seems overwhelming to the younger kids (my 1 yr old and autistic 3 yr old). Inside, while I'm glad it should be cooler, what about the sound and lights? People all over the place.....

And I just love how they show maybe a dozen kids in there?

Too be fair, one video was a set up, those were CMs and their kids... Another video shows some soft openings and again, only a handful of people... When it is fully opened, it will be a major headache causing area... A bunch of screaming 3 year olds in a small, tight space spells disaster somewhere...

DizneyFreak2002
06-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Wow! The Dumbo queue looks unbelievable! My family will totally love that! Let's hope all the other new Fantasyland queues will be just as awesome!

No, let's hope not.. Cause is they are, then New Fantasyland will be a fail...

Jared
06-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I actually think the Dumbo queue looks fine, at least based on the videos and photos currently available. I'm a little surprised there has been such a strong reaction against it. It's a huge improvement over the old Dumbo queue, and the target audience -- small children -- will love it. Works for me.

ANG
06-11-2012, 04:27 PM
When it is fully opened, it will be a major headache causing area... A bunch of screaming 3 year olds in a small, tight space spells disaster somewhere...

This is my thought!

I'm assuming stroller parking is outside.

Patricia
06-12-2012, 10:39 AM
I have a feeling kids will love it.

DizneyFreak is correct, it's an indoor playground, glorified. Built to safety standards, geared towards children. I don't think it's trying to be anything else and it's still better than standing in a boring hot line.

The crowd problem is something most people are used to in theme parks.. I can recall the early days of Honey I Shrunk The Kids play area being insanely crowded, but we always had fun.

RBrooksC
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM

I respectfully disagree. I think it is designed to be a playground. It is air conditioned and it is playground. Parents can sit or play with their kids until it is time for them to ride Dumbo. This is MUCH better than standing in the hot sun or outside waiting in a line to board a notoriously low capacity and slow loading ride.

Yes, while it may be using technology that has been used for many years now, it is not usually used in this type of setting.

cuteduck223
06-12-2012, 01:08 PM
the reactions are funny. I worry a little about crowds too, but im sure that there are still crowd control measures, for safety and because it's not something they would want to fail. Of course there are less people in a video version--primarily to highlight the different areas.

My BIGGEST CONCERN: will my 3 year old want to leave the area to actually ride dumbo? :party:

RBrooksC
06-12-2012, 01:24 PM
My BIGGEST CONCERN: will my 3 year old want to leave the area to actually ride dumbo? :party:

I am quite sure that will be a problem for most parents. But when waits can be 40 minutes or so for Dumbo (may change with two running), they kids are going to get their fill.

Wolf
06-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Oooh this sounds so cute!! I can't wait to see it in action!! Such a great idea having somewhere the little ones can bounce around while they wait!! Sooo much better then them having to just stand in the cattle corales, this will be great!!

DizneyFreak2002
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I respectfully disagree. I think it is designed to be a playground. It is air conditioned and it is playground. Parents can sit or play with their kids until it is time for them to ride Dumbo. This is MUCH better than standing in the hot sun or outside waiting in a line to board a notoriously low capacity and slow loading ride.

Yes, while it may be using technology that has been used for many years now, it is not usually used in this type of setting.

Umm, isn't that what I said??? I said it was a glorified playground... Nothing more... Even though Disney PROMISED it would be more.. Even thought they had DESCRIBED this would be more... All it is is a McDonald's playground on steroids... And it could wind up being a lawsuit waiting to happen because we all know kids have a tendency to get hurt on the simplest things... Isn't that why Tigger's Jumping Spot was closed?? Because of the potential for kids to get hurt???

Yes, this area is LAME... but honestly, my first thought was, DISNEY LEGAL SIGNED OFF ON THIS LAWSUIT WAITING TO HAPPEN???

Aurora
06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes, this area is LAME... but honestly, my first thought was, DISNEY LEGAL SIGNED OFF ON THIS LAWSUIT WAITING TO HAPPEN???

No worse than the play area in Dinoland at AK, or Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area in DHS, or the play ship in Sweden at Epcot. Have there been a lot of lawsuits related to kids playing in these spots? :confused:

As to the original poster, interactive queues, in which guests are able to do things rather than just see things (or snake back and forth between chains) seem to be the rule going forward.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
06-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I think Dumbos Queue looks awesome!

Butters
06-16-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm going to save my opinion on it until I see it in action with my DD