PDA

View Full Version : World Showcase Hidden Gems

Urbss
04-15-2012, 05:32 PM
What are some of the hidden gems at WS that surprised you when you found them?

Every now and then we find something that we never knew existed (thanks Kim Possible) and we are looking for that sort of thing again on our next trip.

My plan this next trip is to do things completely different; to eat at new restaurants, go on attractions that we wouldn't normally go on, and just try to have a completely different experience instead of doing the same things we always do.

If it matter, it will me, my wife, her parents (in their early 60's,but act like they are in their 40's) and my 2 sons that will be 8 and 14 months.

Altair
04-15-2012, 06:10 PM
The dead Bonsai Tree that comes to life in Japan over by the candy lady. It seems to come to life at random. Not a big deal, but just something we stumbled onto.:mickey:

TiggeRia
04-15-2012, 06:45 PM
The dead Bonsai Tree that comes to life in Japan over by the candy lady. It seems to come to life at random. Not a big deal, but just something we stumbled onto.

I never saw that before...I'll have to check it out! Thanks! :thumbsup:

GAN
04-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Pam Brody and Carol Stein that perform at the Rose and Crown Pub later in the afternoon ....true gems

TinkerbellT421
04-16-2012, 08:49 AM
DBF and I a few trips ago decided to do the same thing you plan on doing. We ended up getting an Epcot map and made it a point to start and Norway and work our way around and checked out each country (if applicable because not all have one) and ride available at every country. We were pleasantly surprised by a few like Canada was highly enjoyable except I did get a little dizzy! lol 90% of the time on other trips we never took the time to enjoy the movies of each country, again the ones that do have them, there are only a couple that don't. So we went to each country and checked out whatever show, movie, ride or all that were offered. It was a lot of fun.

Aurora
04-16-2012, 10:25 AM
In many of the pavilions, if you keep going back into them and explore, there are nooks and crannies that tend to be overlooked. Japan has many, including a bridge in back that, when you look at it through the windows in the shop, you'd never know was actually in Florida.

United Kingdom, France, Canada and Japan come to mind as having gardens or nature pathways tucked away to enjoy. Morocco's walkways resemble a little walled labyrinth, and China has a lovely water-lily garden.

You can't appreciate these by keeping to the fringes of these countries -- you have to journey in.

ransam
04-16-2012, 12:30 PM
If you haven't tried it, Norway has a nutty pastry in the bakery store. it is incredible.

RBrooksC
04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
I learned this when I was playing Kim Possible. Go to the back of a pavilion. I realized I NEVER went to the back of some of the pavilions. It's amazing how well they set the story and envelope the visitor in the country.

Also, take the time to explore Morocco. That is an amazing pavilion. I made sure I took my time there because it is so well-made.

I loved stopped and watching the street performers in each country. It was just a nice way to enjoy the time spent there.

WS is a big area to traverse. It is nice when one can take their time and explore.

kurt
04-16-2012, 03:59 PM
there is a small museum in the church in Norway. there is also a museum in Morocco.:cool:

Daisy'sMom
04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
While you are in Morocco, stand quietly and listen to the family in the apartment above.:mickey:

spinnerf
04-16-2012, 07:23 PM
We once sat in China watching an indoor acrobatic show and that was followed by a live music show. The kids liked it so much and it was so hot out, we sat there for over an hour. You have to check the time guide for all the shows that are going on, I really never paid attention to this before that trip.

Tigerinvestigator
04-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Listen to the conversation of two invisible people at the end of Maelstrom. The bench which is located right after you get out of the boat and before you enter the theatre has a conversation going on between a man and woman. We always thought it was supposed to be inside the house but a castmember translated on our last trip. They are talking about the woman's son (i think) who is about to visit. The old man is talking about his life at sea. Pretty cool and most people never notice.

SandmanGStefani24
04-25-2012, 11:20 PM
one hidden food gem I discovered last trip...

I just wanted a snack and a soda, so I stopped at the deli type stop in France. I had a simple ham and cheese croissant and ate it while sitting on the brick fountain outside.

It was stellar! I know it was very basic, but it was phenomenal! Light and airy, ham nicely salted and smoked, and cheese melting perfectly. It was something most people take for granted or skip over but it was memorable. Give it a try!

dizneydeb22
04-26-2012, 11:17 AM
This is a great thread! On our upcoming trip, I am going to grab a drink and meander through each country. This, I'm sure, will put a great spin on "Drinking Around the World"!:marg:

CuteAsMinnie
04-26-2012, 09:14 PM
This is a great thread! On our upcoming trip, I am going to grab a drink and meander through each country. This, I'm sure, will put a great spin on "Drinking Around the World"!:marg:

Sounds delightful!:marg:

azcavalier
04-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Pretty much just ditto to everything that everyone else has said.

The World Showcase is our Sunday activity for whenever we're there. Not to be pious/religious, but we try to do more reverent activities on Sundays (hard to do on vacation at a theme park), and the World Showcase is awesome for that. So many museums and beautiful pavilions, that we just "Wander the World" and "Eat Around the World" those days. China's Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit is fascinating, too.

Frog
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
The Phone Booths in England work!
Use Google to get the numbers, (don't know if it is ok to post them on Intercot) then use your imagination with your group as you pass by!!
We use this to get a quick Disney fix while waiting to return on our next visit.
I also have been known to call during my History class to see if any one in "England" can guess the U.S. History question of the day!!

Tink#64
04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
The Phone Booths in England work!
Use Google to get the numbers, (don't know if it is ok to post them on Intercot) then use your imagination with your group as you pass by!!
We use this to get a quick Disney fix while waiting to return on our next visit.
I also have been known to call during my History class to see if any one in "England" can guess the U.S. History question of the day!!

:waycool: We've done that too! Very cool! We all took turns calling the numbers just to see if someone would answer! Great fun for us Disney freaks! :blush:

LoriSan
04-30-2012, 09:48 PM
I love sitting somewhere in the UK pavilion and calling the phone booths, then hanging up as soon as someone answers, then calling again when they start to walk away, then hang up as soon as they answer, then calling again when they start to walk away,...

I find it hysterical :haha:

Husband, not so much :confused: