PDA

View Full Version : 2 points for that kind of service??

PinKy
04-15-2012, 02:03 PM
We recently got back from our annual spring trip and I can safely say it will be several years before we give Le Cellier another go. I absolutely understand why they made this super-popular restaurant a 2-pointer, but I think maybe what they forgot about was the service that goes along with that kind of a price tag. The food was pretty good - but we had a terrible time finding our server, getting our food, and asking any questions while we were there. Our whole family (there were 7 of us) was an exhausted and frustrated mess by the time we left. Definitely definitely not kid friendly.

I would like to note here that this was previously one of our must-do's at WDW. But good heavens not for 2 points.to put this in the same category as Narcoosee's or CA Grille is far fetched.

Dopey's Girl
04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
That stinks! Our last trip to Le Cellier, we hadd one of the best servers we have everr had, in or outside of WDW.

DizneyRox
04-15-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm thinking the biggest reason for it being 2TS is because of its popularity.

It's way too cramped in there, and unless they have a server shift change and the better servers work dinner, this should be expected.

I can't imagine quality of meat can justify doubling the price. No way, no how...

SBETigg
04-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Le Cellier is not one of my favorites. We had service issues when we were there as well, but it wasn't a Signature experience then. Maybe consider lunch next time? It's still 1 credit for lunch, and looks as good as dinner.

Fastpasssteve
04-15-2012, 08:56 PM
If there is one common theme I see again and again, it is this:

Service suffers when it is a large party.

I have experienced this same phenomena...even at restaurants I have had great success with when our party was smaller.
I don't know exactly why this is. Is it the fact that when they see kids in the group, they assume the tip will be smaller? Is the space too cramped for good large-group service?

It is a mystery.

TiggeRia
04-15-2012, 10:06 PM
While I've not really had a bad experience at LeCellier and I do like their food, it's definitely not a place I would spend two credits on. Or eat dinner at, even, with the increased prices. No way it is on par with the other Signature restaurants. I'll stick with just eating lunch there.

TheDuckRocks
04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
When they changed it from a 1 TS credit to 2 for dinner, I immediately put Le Cellier in the lunch group. Le Cellier is one of the only 2 places (the other being Kouuzina's) I had a truely very bad meal and terrible service.
I also tend to agree with the poster that mentioned the fact that you are more likely to get bad service for large parties. With Disney's policy of a required automatic 18% tip on parties of 6 or more I feel many servers don't feel they really have to play their A game for the payoff.

joonyer
04-16-2012, 12:44 PM
I have always felt that LeCellier was Over-Rated. Not bad, but thought of by many as better than it actually is. Quite frankly, I can get better steak at local chain steakhouses (but to be fair, the same can be said of the food at a lot of WDW restaurants). I never understood why it was so hard to get an ADR for LeCellier. It's reputation outstripped it's actual quality. We tried it, it was OK, but we were not as impressed as we expected to be based on it's reputation. Now, it's been there, done that, no desire to go back.

BelleBeauty
04-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I think it is an issue of service because of the DDP property wide. We tried CA Grill on our last trip and there were only 2 of us. While we got a fantastic seat, we were shoved in less than 3 feet from another table and we felt the service was a bit lacking (not to mention the room was bright and loud). With so many people doing DDP and booking sit down meals, I think they've pretty much destroyed the idea of a romantic meal with great service except for V&A's.

BeansMom2012
04-16-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience! My husband and I noticed a marked difference in service (not just at Le Cellier, but at most restaurants) this past May depending on party size/composition. Unless it was a character meal - when it was just the 2 of us we had great service - 4 adults mediocre service, and when it was all 6 adults and a 2 year old - we had the worst service of all... unfortunate!

JROriole8Fan
04-17-2012, 11:03 AM
I agree 100% about LeCelliar. We were only 4 and 45 minutes after seating, we still did not have water or anything on our table. The server was horrible and we are on TiW, so for the first time I told the manager, at the 45 minut mark, that I wanted the automatic tip removed. The steaks were incredible, as they always are, but the service is well below Disney standards. It will be a long time before we go back, there are too many other excellent dining opportunities. I think they are reading too many of their "press clippings" and have become lax.

Kenny1113
04-17-2012, 12:51 PM
When they changed it from a 1 TS credit to 2 for dinner, I immediately put Le Cellier in the lunch group. Le Cellier is one of the only 2 places (the other being Kouuzina's) I had a truely very bad meal and terrible service.
I also tend to agree with the poster that mentioned the fact that you are more likely to get bad service for large parties. With Disney's policy of a required automatic 18% tip on parties of 6 or more I feel many servers don't feel they really have to play their A game for the payoff.
:ditto:
I think with the automatic tip they feel they will get a big tip in the end regardless. Shame for them because I don't usually tip less than 20% , however if there is a lack of effort I will not add an additional tip to the required 18%. Or if it is really bad I will ask mgr to remove it.

I hate I think that this is the case because having been a server in my past life ;) I never felt this way or worked with others that did either (that I was aware of).

I am disappointed to hear of the poor service at le cellier, it is on our list to try next time. We had really bad service during our last trip at Kouzzina.Now I fear le cellier may be the same. :(

LVT
04-17-2012, 04:19 PM
I thought the Dining plans were causal. When the prices are fixed and do not relate to the cost of business, the business will have to cut a lot of corners. Can anyone out there to correct my guess?

disneynarula
04-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I agree that Le Celier will be a lunch choice for us as well.

PinKy
04-18-2012, 01:32 AM
I agree with everyone! What a good idea to switch it to a lunch - maybe we'll do that. Also agree about the large party. Not much to be done about that for us unfortunately except maybe hit the buffets?

DizneyRox
04-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Yes, I do believe there is a set reimbursement for a TS credit, CS credit, etc. it would be up to each restaurant to provide a meal within that reimbursement otherwise lose money.

That is exactly why I think dining has gone way down hill in recent years. As a cash customer, I would rather have a nice steak (filet) but sadly it is not offered bar a few "exclusive" locations. Surf and Turf? Yeah right!

Altering the menus was easy, now they are onto the hard ways of squeezing money from a stone. Appetizers and tip were next to go.

What's next you ask? Is it unreasonable that they might be cutting staff putting more tables per waiter? I don't think that's a stretch.

VWL Mom
04-18-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm sorry your service was subpar and took away from the food. I know we have some never returns on our list not because of the food but because of the service.

We were fortunate to have a wonderfully energetic server when we had dinner there in November. We had a 415P ressie and it was not crowded. Our meal was wonderful, especially the appetizers. Paid OOP and thought the food was on par with the other 2TS we ate at during that trip.

VWL Mom
04-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Yes, I do believe there is a set reimbursement for a TS credit, CS credit, etc. it would be up to each restaurant to provide a meal within that reimbursement otherwise lose money.

That is exactly why I think dining has gone way down hill in recent years. As a cash customer, I would rather have a nice steak (filet) but sadly it is not offered bar a few "exclusive" locations. Surf and Turf? Yeah right!

Altering the menus was easy, now they are onto the hard ways of squeezing money from a stone. Appetizers and tip were next to go.

What's next you ask? Is it unreasonable that they might be cutting staff putting more tables per waiter? I don't think that's a stretch.

Well said :thumbsup:

Katzateer
04-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Have not eaten there in years-though the food was good, didn't like the atmosphere and the service was bad. I will stick to Cal. grill, BrownDerby and other favorites.

CuteAsMinnie
04-18-2012, 09:47 AM
We have been to LE Cellier once and only once.

The entire experience was so bad, from the food to the service...it truly was the most horrible dining experience we have ever had at WDW. Actually.... anywhere... ever!

The only good think to come out of the experience is I was able to get the ENTIRE meal... Over $300...comped.

mom2morgan
04-18-2012, 09:54 AM
I've been dying to try it - hope I'm not disappointed! But I definitely can't face paying 2 credits, so we're booked for lunch.