PDA

View Full Version : Test Track Closure up on WDW Calendar-Wrong Dates Posted

MickeysBestPal
04-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Here is a copy & Paste from today's info on the Official WDW Calendar:

(Exceprt from lower portion of Epcot's info that starts listing 10 days starting from todays' -Apr 14- date.)

Saturday, April 21 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM Future World
11:00 AM - 9:00 PM World Showcase
Sunday, April 22 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM Future World
Monday, April 23 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM Future World

Test Track - Closed For Refurbishment [ Friday, June 01 - Saturday, June 30 ]

-------------

The TT closure (for an extended refurb) has never been posted on the official calendar at all -until this morning and,
even after all this time and all of the discussion... the information on the site is simply wrong.

We have come to know from many posts from CM's and other sources, the TT's last day will be tomorrow, Sun. Apr 15, 2012.

This whole saga has been very strange!

eandrsmom
04-14-2012, 09:02 AM
I just went to the Disney calendar and saw the same thing. Since that is an official page, shouldn't it be correct? I've been hoping that it'll be open for our trip the first week of May. My DS is already dissappointed that BTMR is down. I really didn't want to tell him about TT until I knew it was definitely going to be down. Those are his two favorite rides.

MickeysBestPal
04-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I just went to the Disney calendar and saw the same thing. Since that is an official page, shouldn't it be correct?

That's my point.

Yes, it SHOULD be correct but, sadly, we know that it isn't.

The TT refurb announcements directly from Disney (or lack thereof) have been very a very curious state of affairs.

Strmchsr
04-14-2012, 10:02 AM
This Test Track thing is a total disaster. I don't know what in the world Disney is doing with this. There's confirmation the building will close on Monday (April 16) and they have announced the closing goes through September. So, not sure what's up with the website. Of course, the WDW website (unfortunately) is widely known to not be the most accurate place for info.

EeyoresBestFriend
04-14-2012, 01:16 PM
I find it interesting that so many people are bent about refurb's in general.

It seems that alot of folks want rides to be refurbed and updated . . . . as long as it doesn't happen when they are there. Got news for ya folks - it will happen during SOMEONE's vacation.

Maybe that's why Disney is so vague about time frames, because they know they can't win either way. If they are down when I am there, that's life! I will have something new to look forward to on my next trip. :thumbsup:

Ian
04-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe that's why Disney is so vague about time frames, because they know they can't win either way. If they are down when I am there, that's life! I will have something new to look forward to on my next trip. :thumbsup:Yeah, but don't forget ... for a lot of folks there is no "next trip."

I agree there's not much you can do about it, but it's easy to be cavalier about it when you go two, three, four times a year. For more people than not, a trip to WDW is a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Strmchsr
04-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, but don't forget ... for a lot of folks there is no "next trip.

:exactly: We tend to forget that on Intercot because most of us on this site are not one-timers, but there are a lot of folks like that. Still baffles me when I hear someone say I haven't been to Walt Disney World since the 80s. I'm thinking But, but, but Animal Kingdom was built since then. And MGM was built and change to DHS. How can you not have gone!? :mickey:

Seriously, though, I'm not bent about the refurbs. The concept for the new Test Track sounds interesting to me. I hate that TT and BTMRR will both be closed during our May trip since those are our sons two favorite rides, but we'll be back. What has really irked me on this TT refurb is the way Disney has handled the publicity on it. They advertised it and then have withdrawn all public info. Then today when they finally post something "public" it's the wrong information. There is no official confirmation from WDW ANYWHERE (except for the press release back in January). Which means if you don't keep up with a board like Intercot you're liable to arrive on Monday to a very nasty surprise. So, that's the issue I have, not the refurb itself.

Main Street Jim
04-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Just heard back from my contact at Test Track/Mission/Space/Universe of Energy. This guy is a trainer and a coordinator, so he knows his stuff :) Says TT will be closing after Sunday (so Monday the 16th it will be closed), going through until this fall (he tells me Sept-Nov). He's also telling me that they want to reopen for Chevrolet's (or could be General Motors) 100th anniversary. That's all the details he has right now.

DizneyFreak2002
04-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Jim, ask him if Future World East CMs have a going away party on April 15th for Test Track starting at 9:45 PM...

texas211
04-14-2012, 04:35 PM
:exactly: We tend to forget that on Intercot because most of us on this site are not one-timers, but there are a lot of folks like that. Still baffles me when I hear someone say I haven't been to Walt Disney World since the 80s. I'm thinking But, but, but Animal Kingdom was built since then. And MGM was built and change to DHS. How can you not have gone!? :mickey:

Seriously, though, I'm not bent about the refurbs. The concept for the new Test Track sounds interesting to me. I hate that TT and BTMRR will both be closed during our May trip since those are our sons two favorite rides, but we'll be back. What has really irked me on this TT refurb is the way Disney has handled the publicity on it. They advertised it and then have withdrawn all public info. Then today when they finally post something "public" it's the wrong information. There is no official confirmation from WDW ANYWHERE (except for the press release back in January). Which means if you don't keep up with a board like Intercot you're liable to arrive on Monday to a very nasty surprise. So, that's the issue I have, not the refurb itself.

I know. I'm going to miss those rides at the end of the month when we go. But, I don't understand why they do refurbs during the summer months. Isn't that a big bulk travel time?

Polynesian Dweller
04-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I know. I'm going to miss those rides at the end of the month when we go. But, I don't understand why they do refurbs during the summer months. Isn't that a big bulk travel time?
Rides are refurbed at all times of year. SSE and Space Mountain were down over several seasons. Things go down when they go down if I was to guess I think they want to be open for Oct 1, the 30th anniversary.

Basically though, a ride down at any time for an extended period of time is going to be own through some busy period. There really are very few down periods now.

DonaldDuckUSA
04-14-2012, 05:27 PM
it will happen during SOMEONE's vacation. :

Regarding people complainging about ride closures, I agree. However, I'm a little upset that Disney has been confusing with the date closing. Yes, it has to happen during someones vacation, but some people plan around ride closures.

Maybe its just a typo. Hopefully this will clear up soon. If not, I'll know when I get there in May.

TheRustyScupper
04-14-2012, 05:38 PM
. . . It seems that alot of folks want rides to be refurbed and updated . . . . as long as it doesn't happen when they are there. Got news for ya folks - it will happen during SOMEONE's vacation . . .

1) OK, some people do plan for specific rides.
2) And, yes, some people get only one vacation.
3) Or, one every very few years.
4) But, rehabs are a fact of nature.
. . . designs need to be updated
. . . designs need to be improved
. . . rides need major repair work
5) Call it "a speed bump on the road of life."
6 And simply get over it.

Strmchsr
04-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Maybe its just a typo. Hopefully this will clear up soon. If not, I'll know when I get there in May.

It's definitely closing Monday. Several CMs have now confirmed that. The website is wrong. And it looks like it will be closed through November. So why is Disney posting wrong info on the website? No idea.

DizneyFreak2002
04-14-2012, 06:06 PM
It's definitely closing Monday. Several CMs have now confirmed that. The website is wrong. And it looks like it will be closed through November. So why is Disney posting wrong info on the website? No idea.

Just confirms what we have said all along... WDW's site is extremely unreliable...

MickeysBestPal
04-14-2012, 08:05 PM
It's been a comedy of errors ever since the first announcement (in early Jan. 2012) with no specific dates.

Then, we finally see something on the Disney calendar site, and its wrong.

But, it's not just staying with the same info as posted earlier this morning...
Someone at the Disney website, during the day today, must be "playing with" (attempting to adjust?) the posted dates.

When I first posted this morning the Refurb dates for TT read:

Test Track - Closed For Refurbishment [ Friday, June 01 - Saturday, June 31 ]
-------------------

Then, this afternoon it was changed and now (as of this posting) reads:

Test Track - Closed For Refurbishment [ Friday, June 01 - Tuesday, July 31 ]

-------------------
Still not right (as far as we know) but it is a bit different.

Just very, very strange...

EeyoresBestFriend
04-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Yeah, but don't forget ... for a lot of folks there is no "next trip."

I agree there's not much you can do about it, but it's easy to be cavalier about it when you go two, three, four times a year. For more people than not, a trip to WDW is a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

I most certainly understand that, but they won't be the ones getting bent out of shape that a ride is down, because they won't have a favorite or must do ride.

Actually I think they are better off ~ they still enjoy the magic as it is instead of comparing it to previous years.

WDWdriver
04-15-2012, 08:21 PM
The following is from the Cast Member information web site:

Disney and General Motors have renewed their long-term business relationship with a new multi-year strategic alliance agreement that includes a partnership to develop a re-imagined, design-centric Test Track experience. The current GM Test Track at Epcot will close for refurbishment on April 16, 2012, with an anticipated opening of Test Track Presented by Chevrolet scheduled for fall 2012.

The re-imagined Future World attraction will transform into the sleek “Chevrolet Design Studio at Epcot” with interactive design and styling workstations where Guests will be able to create their own custom concept vehicles. Also included will be a “SimCar” ride vehicle experience where Guests can put their design through its paces on the exhilarating hills, switchbacks and straight-aways of the Test Track circuit. Guests will enjoy a post-show area filled with special effects, be scored on how well their custom concept vehicle did and see the latest Chevrolet vehicles in an all-new state-of-the-art showroom.

While Test Track is closed for refurbishment, Guests may enjoy several unadvertised “surprise and delight” offerings, including the following which begin April 16:

The Test Track Allstars travel-themed A Cappella group will be performing daily in the area near the Test Track pavilion.
On a trial basis, Character Spot, Soarin’ and all attractions, merchandise locations and grab-n-go food & beverage offerings in The Land will remain open until 10pm.

MickeysBestPal
04-16-2012, 05:04 AM
I'm up very early this morning, and decided to check the "official" WDW info again.

NOW (5:00AM EDT) the listing says-
-----------------------------------------------------------

Test Track - Closed For Refurbishment [ Saturday, September 01 - Sunday, September 30 ]

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yes, there are two separate refurb listings for Test Track, and they still don't have the correct
start date (today's date) listed at all.

So, it looks like SOMEBODY may have TRIED to "fix" the incorrect listing, but they managed to do something else a bit more confusing in the process.

Maybe (since TT's refurb closure will actually begin TODAY) someone on the Disney site will get the refurb info corrected.

Carol
04-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Maybe (since TT's refurb closure will actually begin TODAY) someone on the Disney site will get the refurb info corrected.Disney does not maintain their web site. It's outsourced.

Our rehab information via Disney was updated on 4/13/12 and states 04/16/12 - Fall 2012.

MickeysBestPal
04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Disney does not maintain their web site. It's outsourced.

Our rehab information via Disney was updated on 4/13/12 and states 04/16/12 - Fall 2012.

My issue is not with TT closing.

It's the fact that Disney, directly, has not yet told the public that it is closing on April 16.

They will finally have to be doing so today, April 16.

Also, Disney has to still be responsible for the content of what appears on their website,
regardless who actually pushes the buttons on the keyboards servicing the site.

gottaluvtink
04-16-2012, 11:15 AM
According to the Disney web site, here are the closing dates for Test Track refurb.

Test Track - Closed For Refurbishment [ Saturday, September 01 - Sunday, September 30 ]

This makes me super excited because I am going in May!!!! :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
04-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Picture on Twitter of the wall around Test Track... it features what appears to be a new logo... Test Track presented by Chevrolet FALL 2012 is what is printed on the wall, and the Test Track lettering is different that the current/previous font...

Strmchsr
04-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Picture on Twitter of the wall around Test Track... it features what appears to be a new logo...

From what I'm hearing it won't even be called "Test Track" anymore but the "Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot" so that would explain the new logo and font. As with everything with this re-do there is very poor communication. At first it was going to be "Test Track presented by Chevrolet" with just the queue area being the Design Center, but not it sounds like they're dropping the Test Track name. Of course, that could just be confusion as everything I've heard is second hand. I don't have first hand knowledge of the naming issue.

DizneyFreak2002
04-16-2012, 11:41 AM
From what I'm hearing it won't even be called "Test Track" anymore but the "Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot" so that would explain the new logo and font. As with everything with this re-do there is very poor communication. At first it was going to be "Test Track presented by Chevrolet" with just the queue area being the Design Center, but not it sounds like they're dropping the Test Track name. Of course, that could just be confusion as everything I've heard is second hand. I don't have first hand knowledge of the naming issue.

I've seen the patches for the CMs uniforms and they still say Test Track... This new logo still says Test Track but there is now, what appears to be a car.. yea, looking at the picture again, it is a car right above the T in Test.... I like it actually, it is sleek... Actually, the car drawing starts before the T in Test and ends at the R in track..

Chris, I'll PM you the twitter link... I don't want to post it here as it is, I assume, against TOS...

We may have to toss that Oct 1 opening date out the window too... People are posting online that the ride will be closed through November...

PopPhan
04-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Test Track is closed for rehab as of today, April 16th.

It may not open back up until November.......

There are a couple threads all about this...

Strmchsr
04-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Awesome. I really like that new logo. Thanks for sending me the pic!

Well, from that it looks like the original info "Test Track presented by Chevrolet" will be correct with the "Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot" being the interactive queue area.

gottaluvtink
04-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Is someone in the park to verify? There has been so much rumor on this one, that you would think the OFFICIAL Disney site, would be OFFICIAL.

P.S. if this is true, I guess I'll catch it again in January when I go back. I am taking some newbies in May and was hoping for their sake, they could ride.

Strmchsr
04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Is someone in the park to verify? There has been so much rumor on this one, that you would think the OFFICIAL Disney site, would be OFFICIAL

Yes, it is verified. The construction walls are up. The attraction is closed until the Fall (probably end of November apparently).

DizneyFreak2002
04-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Disney's website FINALLY has it updated to April 16th... So, public is now on notice...

MickeysBestPal
04-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Disney's website FINALLY has it updated to April 16th... So, public is now on notice...

Agreed.

Now, there's just a couple of other little problems.

Namely, the months of May and August. ;)

---------------------------------------------------
Test Track - Closed For Refurbishment [ Monday, April 16 - Monday, April 30 ]

Above is a Copy and Paste detail directly from the Disney Calendar site as of
April 16, 2012, 12:15PM EDT:

DizneyFreak2002
04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Agreed.

Now, there's just a couple of other little problems.

Namely, the months of May and August. ;)

Test Track - Closed For Refurbishment [ Monday, April 16 - Monday, April 30 ]

Above is a Copy and Paste detail directly from the Disney Calendar site as of
April 16, 2012, 12:15PM EDT:

Further proof the stinkin site is unreliable... Now, if they can only put the reopening date to be Dec 1, or saying it is closed through November 30th,... but then again, that is asking for too much LOL...

MickeysBestPal
04-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Further proof the stinkin site is unreliable... Now, if they can only put the reopening date to be Dec 1, or saying it is closed through November 30th,... but then again, that is asking for too much LOL...

Just NOW (1:28PM EDT) the WDW site lists the following:

Test Track - Closed For Refurbishment [ Monday, April 16 - Sunday, September 30 ]

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

cuteduck223
04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
sad day. thats the last day of our trip. oh well, maybe next time.

DizneyFreak2002
04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Just NOW (1:28PM EDT) the WDW site lists the following:

Test Track - Closed For Refurbishment [ Monday, April 16 - Sunday, September 30 ]

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

LOL... isn't it sad that the brain doesn't communicate with the hand in the Disney company and their website???

I keep reading November 30th though... I do think they will try to get this done for Epcot's 30th however... Especially since the show scenes have been prefabricated...

disneymom2000
04-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I agree with EeyoresBestFriend posts. I always look at the refurbs right before I go to see what I will be missing and always think - "oh, but that's one of my favorite rides". But then I have to think there are so many other rides that are awesome too so I will make sure I enjoy those while I am there and try not to let a little refurb blow my vacation.

DizneyFreak2002
04-16-2012, 04:15 PM
The Test Track All Stars A Capella group started their performances today... They stand directly in front of the wall showing the new Test Track logo... They have a backstory which is they are all employees of Chevrolet and since they shut down Test Track to enhance the attraction, they are going to perform for the guests... They do what looks to be a 10, maybe 15 minute set (at least the video online was a little over 10 minutes) and each song was themed around cars or transportation...

Will each performance be different?? I cannot honestly say... They didn't sound bad...

And on a side not, remember Cool Wash Pizza stand??? Well, it's gone...

DizneyFreak2002
04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
WOW... The Disney website goes from being 100% unreliable with regard to the test Track closure to now even posting CONCEPT ART for the refurb... Someone lit a fire under them apparently..

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/epcot/attractions/test-track/

Alaska Disney Fan
04-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Well at least we know what's going on with it, I do hope they finish a little early as my last day there is Sept 28th, and I will be in Epcot that day enjoying the Food and beer (not much of a wine drinker) fest activities. I'll keep my finger crossed!

DizneyFreak2002
04-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Well at least we know what's going on with it, I do hope they finish a little early as my last day there is Sept 28th, and I will be in Epcot that day enjoying the Food and beer (not much of a wine drinker) fest activities. I'll keep my finger crossed!

If the reports online are true (and they were about the closure), then the ride could be open on October 1... or December 1...

If it does reopen for October 1, I think soft openings on Sept 28 may not be out of the realm of possibility...

KathyMO
04-17-2012, 08:13 AM
From the Walt Disney World webpage: "Test Track Closed For Refurbishment [Monday, April 16 - Friday, November 30]"

I hope they will open Test Track early. We will be there Nov. 9th o Nov. 14th.

Scar
04-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Food and beer (not much of a wine drinker) fest Can I have your consent to use this term from now on? :beer:

MickeysBestPal
04-17-2012, 10:12 AM
From the Walt Disney World webpage: "Test Track Closed For Refurbishment [Monday, April 16 - Friday, November 30]"

Only time will tell.

The scary thing to remember about Test Track is that it actually missed its very first original opening date by...

over a year and a half!!

DizneyFreak2002
04-17-2012, 11:14 AM

That is what was floated around online yesterday along with the originally rumored October 1 date...

I'd prefer TT stay closed as long as it takes to make sure this refurb is done right and completed unlike Spaceship Earth's half-(you know what) refurb....

Alaska Disney Fan
04-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Can I have your consent to use this term from now on? :beer:

Absolutely :thumbsup: :beer: