PDA

View Full Version : WDW Airline??

jaredkari
04-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I know this might be a goofy post but has Disney ever considered starting their own airline? It would be pretty cool if they had an airline that was along the lines of magical express with disney videos playing during the flight or imagine even some characters on the plane? I mean they have enough area at WDW to build their own airport and everything. Has anyone else ever considered this, I know it is probably just a pipe dream :mickey:

Bethanymouse
04-12-2012, 09:42 PM
I believe in the 80's they had some sort of an agreement with Delta. Can anyone confirm this? I was a child at the time, but recall "Mickey" planes.

DizneyRox
04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
I think it was considered, but not much came of it. It Hooters couldn't succeed in getting off the ground, Mickey cant either.

There is/was an airstrip to the right as you go through the parking entrance o MK and head to the right towards the contemporary. It's not for large aircraft, but it's an airstrip.

Used for construction staging these days. I also heard at one point it was used to test an idea to produce a musical number when riding the busses (Zip a dee doo da is the tune I heard) via carefully spaced bumps on the roadway. Maybe a tall tale from a bus driver though...

Ian
04-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I have to say that, although I would never pretend to understand all the complexities of running an airline, it would seem like this is a very natural extension of Disney's business.

I'm sure a very high percentage of folks who visit WDW would consider using WDW Airlines if the price was right.

Really the way to do it is just to license out your name to an established carrier (like Southwest) and let them run the whole thing.

I believe in the 80's they had some sort of an agreement with Delta. Can anyone confirm this? I was a child at the time, but recall "Mickey" planes.In the early 80's it was Eastern Airlines until they went belly-up. I think Delta was the official airline of Walt Disney World for awhile after that (I know they took over sponsorship of If You Had Wings), but I don't really know for how long or what the details were.

Alaska Disney Fan
04-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Alaska AIrlines has a few Disney themed planes, we have ridden them on occasion coming down. Do internet search and you can see pictures of them.

brownie
04-13-2012, 10:12 AM
I think we've had this discussion in the past. I think it would be a bad idea. Disney provides entertainment, not transportation. I think an airline would fall outside the core of what they do well and would not be a good business for them to be in.

Wolf
04-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I would love this, mostly because I :ack: Delta and its our only way down to orlando

brad192
04-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Given the state of the airline industry today, Disney would be crazy to do this.

Remember the old saying: " If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars & run an airline". ;)

LudwigVonDrake
04-15-2012, 11:40 AM
All it would take is, God forbid, a crash and the Disney company would be sued to the moon. Plus, I would think, the cost of insurance would be prohibitive for them.