PDA

View Full Version : help saving money

kangan2roos2
04-12-2012, 11:05 AM
we are going in May and on a tight budget. Any suggestions for ways of saving money on food? I appreciate all suggestions. We splurged with our DP and are eating at CRT since it will be my 4 year old princess first visit

Mickey'sGirl
04-12-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. If you have already purchased the dining plan, what other food will you need to save money on? Please excuse me if I'm a little slow! :mickey:

cuteduck223
04-12-2012, 01:57 PM
if you have the dining plan, I would suggest just having some granola bars and water that you keep in the room if you need extra snacks on the go.

kangan2roos2
04-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Yes, we are on the dinning plan but we are using 2 credits a piece on CRT and with a 14 DS who is ALWAYS hungry, I was wondering what people did to make those meals and snack credits stretch (more bang for the credit). I got one suggestion to eat at Casey's because my DD and I could share a hotdog and fry giving us an "extra" CS meal. I like the granola bar ides Thanks

FriendsofMickey
04-12-2012, 04:28 PM
To help out with the cost and stick with the plan:

Cosmic Rays is a great CS meal that is more like a sit down meal.

Not sure where you are staying, but I know this holds true of Coronado Springs and French Quarter (so, I would guess at any resort, but not sure about that); however, we usually order a Pizza at the resort our first night. It costs 2 CS, but you get the pizza, two desserts, and two drinks. The pizza is an 8 piece. We are a family of four (two 9 year olds, and two adults). It is a great way to extend our meals.

We (the adults) usually do not eat breakfast, but often will use a snack credit to get our girls oatmeal for breakfast.

Have a great trip!

mickeys_princess_mom
04-12-2012, 05:15 PM
I bet you and your four-year old daughter could share many QS meals. My grown daughter and I often do! We also bring blueberry muffins and such to have for breakfast many days. :wave:

DizneyRox
04-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Actually, you would probably make out better paying OOP for CRT overall. 2TS meals are a horrible waste of DDP credits.

You can have two other full dinners for everyone...

ElenitaB
04-12-2012, 09:39 PM
And rather than order out pizza as room service, I'd just order from Domino's or Pizza Hut and not use the DP credits.

For your 14 yr old DS, there are several places where the CS meals are quite substantial, including the chicken/ribs meal at Cosmic Ray's, any of the meals from the "rotisserie" counter at Sunshine Seasons, several of the options at Tangierine Cafe.

Also, if you save your DD's credits, you'll only be saving children's credits which will not be able to be used for adults' meals.

I would consider taking the suggestion of paying for that meal at CRT out of pocket, at least for some of you if that's possible.

Alaska Disney Fan
04-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Pizza at Wolfgang Puck express is only 1 CS, most of the meals there will feed 2 people. DW and I share quite a few meals. Cosmic rays is a good place for a big meal - chicken and rib combo platter ( also available at Flame tree BBQ). Fish and Chips at Columbia Harbor house (and Yorkshire county fish shop) will feed two. Yak and Yeti have some Combo meals that can feed 2. There are many options for sharing a CS or two, you won't be "stuffed" but it will fill you up enough to make it to your next meal. Snack credits can be used for some pretty big items too, especially for a light breakfast. Lots of bakery items, muffins, cinnamon rolls, croissants, fruit, etc.

#1donaldfan
04-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Eat breakfast in the room each morning. Pop tarts, granola bars, etc.....:cool:

biodtl
04-13-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure if you are staying in a resort with room fridges, but they are lifesavers for us. We always do dining plan and we stock the fridge with snacks, drinks and things to eat for the non-DP meals. We always buy single cereals and milk, plus snack bars, water, etc. And beer.

kangan2roos2
04-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks! Those are some great ideas! Especially suggestions for "bigger" meals for my DS :thumbsup: