PDA

View Full Version : Difficult Haunted Mansion question

dulyjs
04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
If anyone can answer this question it is an Intercotee.

The Haunted Mansion has always been my favorite attraction in no small part because of the music. I have listened to the ride-through many times and there is one thing that has always perplexed me. It may sound odd but here goes.

In the graveyard there are several scenes where the ghosts sing Grim Grinning Ghosts in their own way, harmonically, muffled, operatically, etc. Well one of them (on the soundtrack it the one right after the Phantom Five) is a couple who sing in kind of a high society tone of voice. I cannot think of the ghosts who sing it. Anyway, after the final line of "Restless bones etherealize, rise as spooks of every size" on the two triplet chimes the female mumbles something starting with "Oh, ..."

I do not know what she is saying and it bugs me every time I hear it. Anyone know what she says?

Main Street Jim
04-11-2012, 05:47 PM
*Oooo*. I *know* what part you're talking about, and, listening to the HM audio CD that I have, i can't *really* figure out what they say, either. It *sounds* like it's, "Oh, it's an idea" or something similar, but I just *know* that's not the exact words. *However*...I'll look up my favorite HM Web site and see if they have the lyrics.

**Edit**: Every hit for "Grim Grinning Ghosts lyrics" I'm coming up with on Google is coming up empty - specifically for that *one line*. <Sigh...> Even my favorite HM site doesn't turn up anything.

darthmacho
04-11-2012, 05:48 PM
I know exactly the lyric you're talking about and it has confounded me for years. For some reason it sound like she's saying "oh, that's right, he's dead." but that doesn't really make sense to me. I hope someone can provide the real answer...sorry. :blush:

Strmchsr
04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
The high society voices are the king and queen on the see-saw with the duchess beside them.

The mumbling that you're hearing, I believe, is the mummy. The mummy is singing, mumbling, but can't be understood because of the bandages. That's why the old guy with the ear trumpet is trying to understand the mummy.

Main Street Jim
04-11-2012, 06:38 PM
The mumbling that you're hearing, I believe, is the mummy. The mummy is singing, mumbling, but can't be understood because of the bandages. That's why the old guy with the ear trumpet is trying to understand the mummy.I don't believe that's the part the OP is talking about. It's right after the lyrics, "Rise as spooks of every size..." It really *sounds* like she says, "Oh, that's an idea..." or something similar, but my lyric searches haven't turned up anything yet :\

If you do a YouTube search for "Grim Grinning Ghosts Singalong", the lyrics are almost all presented on the screen along with a ridethrough of DL's Mansion - right up until this particular point. It's a 6:30 video; this particular part would be at the 4:19 mark.

Disney Hungarian
04-11-2012, 06:50 PM
It sounds to me like she says, "oh yes they do."

goofy89
04-11-2012, 06:58 PM

This is what I have always thought it was! :mickey:

badkitty
04-11-2012, 07:20 PM

That is what I thought as well! :hmghost:

dulyjs
04-11-2012, 07:26 PM
See, I knew you folks would know exactly what I was talking about.

Of the ideas so far, "Oh, yes they do" sounds the most right and seems most plausible given the lyric immediately preceeding it. Unless we find out otherwise I'm going to go with that and put my mind at ease. And I love the way she says "When you hear the knell of a requiem bell". It's so weird.

I'll be driving down there on the 22nd so I'll be able to see this strange ghost one more time pretty soon.

Fangorn
04-11-2012, 08:21 PM
On the Disneyland 50th anniversary CD, it's clearly "Oh, yes the do".

Steve

MrPeetrie
04-12-2012, 12:09 AM

That's what I thought, as well. I'll have to listen more closely next time.

Stu29573
04-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Oh yes it is, "Oh yes, they do." lol :D

Ms. Mode
04-12-2012, 12:10 PM

This is it! I listen to in on my way to work every day! :thumbsup:

darthmacho
04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Well, I was kinda close...right? :blush:

dulyjs
04-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Well, I was kinda close...right? :blush:

I don't know about close, but it was the funniest, as if she had forgotten that someone was dead.

It just makes me laugh for some reason.

jaredkari
04-12-2012, 09:41 PM
I have listened several times and what she is saying is "Let's fix the Yeti on Expedition Everest already. I mean come on it has been like five years!"

E-OR
04-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Wow, can't wait to listen to this tomorrow. I have the CD in my car and have been listening to it getting ready for our trip in 14 days:cool:

FriendsofMickey
04-13-2012, 07:49 AM
I have listened several times and what she is saying is "Let's fix the Yeti on Expedition Everest already. I mean come on it has been like five years!"

:thumbsup:

Buttercup
04-14-2012, 11:22 AM
That's what I always thought she said. :)