PDA

View Full Version : Fast Pass Etiquette

EeyoreFan
04-11-2012, 01:56 PM
My DH, DS 4y, and I will be at WDW in 22 days...not that I'm counting :). We are formulating a touring plan now. We had planned on one of us going to get fast passes for an attraction while the other waits in line with DS for another attraction. How will the people in line with us feel when the one that went for fast passes "cuts in line?" Will they be angry or understanding? I don't want to tick anyone off.

Thanks for the advice!

biodtl
04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
I think you'll see people on both sides of this one. I generally don't mind if it's only one person (I do get upset when it's a whole group), but there will be people who will see it as line cutting. Your best bet would be to try an pick up FPs for a ride that is on the way to another one whenever you can - that way you can stay together.

dnickels
04-11-2012, 02:10 PM
I can't say I would be thrilled with it. I think the general consensus is that groups should wait until all members of their party are ready to enter a line before going in.

Disney Doll
04-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I don't think it would bother me for one person to do that, but it's certainly not widely accepted. Personally I think it's easier to stick together anyway. Usually we walk together to the attraction and then one of us hangs back with the kids and the other gets the passes so we don't have to deal with the congestion at the fast pass distribution area. It really only takes a minute so splitting up seems counter productive.

ChipNDale79
04-11-2012, 02:42 PM
My DH, DS 4y, and I will be at WDW in 22 days...not that I'm counting :). We are formulating a touring plan now. We had planned on one of us going to get fast passes for an attraction while the other waits in line with DS for another attraction. How will the people in line with us feel when the one that went for fast passes "cuts in line?" Will they be angry or understanding? I don't want to tick anyone off.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not really a fan of one or two people holding a place in line for others, the only time I'm really ok with it is when a little has to go to the bathroom RIGHT NOW, and an adult has to get out of line to take the child. In cases like that, its totally understandable to let that person and child out of line while another adult stays in line and holds their spot.

My wife and I were inline to wait for Toy Story, there was an older gentleman in line in front of us, sure enough 30-45 mins after we had been waiting his entire family of 6 came and got in line with him. We were NOT happy about that.

Not2Loud
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm ok with spouse or such, but hate when its one person waiting then the whole group. Rides where the late person isn't having to go through a ton of people is best.

Generally, I stop and get fast passes while DW and DD go onto the ride we are riding next. I am usually no more than a min or two behind them and can get to them without bother too many.

But most of the time, the three of us stick together.

Ms. Mode
04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
We never line jump, even two or three people up from the end of the line...we just wait until we're all together and go in.

Our first trip to WDW my DH would run to other parts of the park to get FPs while DD and I sat and waited for him...he said it was quicker. :blush:

Aurora
04-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I personally don't mind all that much, but think about it this way: What if there were 20 different parties in line in front of you, and each one had someone out getting FPs and then joining their party in line? After the fifth or sixth time letting someone through, it would get annoying.

My general rule of thumb is to be polite and considerate of others, and that usually means waiting 'til we're all together.

LudwigVonDrake
04-11-2012, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't be happy and would consider it line cutting. Just being honest :wave:

DizneyRox
04-11-2012, 06:36 PM
We get the next fast pass before entering the line. It's just easier that way. I know there are more times than not that I don't hear the person behind me saying excuse me to get through. They should have stuck together too I think...

FaithTrustPixieDust
04-11-2012, 07:49 PM
We do a hybrid of these ideas. We send DH to get FP, while we make our way to the next ride (go potty, look at duckies, etc). However, we wait at the end and do not get in line until he arrives. It still saves time, without line breaking. It's amazing how much faster a single person can navigate a crowd without family in tow!:blush:

goofy89
04-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Like others have said we usually send one person to grab a fast pass and then all meet up right outside the entrance and all get in line together.

Gator
04-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I'll give it a thumbs down. Especially if you're doing this multiple times a day, everyday. If you do it that way, expect trouble. You can't roll the dice over and over and expect people to keep calm. Eventually it will cause some rude comments, yelling, and maybe even a confrontation. There's no telling what the Florida heat can do to a person's mood toward line jumpers.

cfoshe
04-11-2012, 09:39 PM
It is not right. Say every 5 families in line do this at TT or TSM, and there is 50 families inline. That would be 10 people cutting inline, and that is if only one person cuts. At TSM that would be a total of 3 cars filled.

We have always went together, even to get the FP. I am at WDW to have a vacation and not get in a hurry.

EeyoreFan
04-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all of your replies! Great advice. :rocks:

texas211
04-11-2012, 11:07 PM
What we do, i send the fastest person (her) to run and get the fast pass, while I walk my slow self to the ride. She's generally fast enough to run and get the pass and meet me at the entrance of the next ride, and we wait together.

Fastpasssteve
04-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Perhaps, to optimize your time, one adult could run for fastpasses while the other takes the kids to get a snack or do a round of bathroom breaks. Then all can proceed on to the next ride. :thumbsup:

Mendelson
04-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Ian made a good point once about people moving ahead of you to join part of their group - it's going to have a negligible impact on your wait time, since quite often it's a group-unit that is going to be sharing the same ride vehicle anyway. And even if that group gets spread out over, let's say, two ride vehicles, that may delay your getting on to the ride by, what....15 seconds to one minute, depending on the ride?

Even given that, I'm less enthused about people doing it as a planned strategy than on an as-needed basis. But you're very unlikely to be outed as a family that is doing this over and over.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
04-12-2012, 09:07 AM
To be honest...I would not recommend it. I have seen some people get very verbal with others attempting this and it made it uncomfortable for us (who were not even involved). I think that your little 4 year old may get scared, embarrased, confused at someone who gets loud or verbal toward you for attempting this (even tho as many have mentioned, it would not bother me either way especially not knowing what the circumstances were that you were split up in the first place). I would be more concerned with my son or daughters fragile feelings than I would be about someone getting lippy, but I don't think I would wager my child's hurt feelings or being scared just to save a few minutes of waiting in line.

MNDisney Dad
04-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Wait until FP fetcher returns, then get in line.

mydisneygirls
04-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I don't mind if it's one person or an adult who needed to take a child to the bathroom, but on our last trip I was very annoyed that a family of about 6 (from an organized tour group) cut in front of us on Buzz Lightyear just as we were going in the door. I said to my daughters, I bet they do it ALL the time!!!!

They should have signs that all parties need be in line to board an attraction.

Belle of the Ball 051411
04-12-2012, 10:39 AM
I don't mind if it's 1 person and/or a child. Most of the time they will be riding together in the same car so it doesn't matter anyway. I do get annoyed if it's a group but I would never say anything. DH and I always get in line together.

dnickels
04-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Is one person or five people cutting in front of me going to impact my vacation in a big way? No, but it's also not going to impact them in a big way to wait 5 minutes outside the line for the FP retriever to arrive either.

Also, keep in mind that it's "just one person" until the family in front and the family in back and 10 other families in line get the same idea as well. Just like peeing in the pool or throwing a piece of trash out the window, none of those make a big impact in isolation, but if we all take that view then it really has a negative impact on everyone else. If it wouldn't be right for 100 people to do it, then it's probably not right for me to do it either. :twocents:

ransam
04-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I can say that I would have no problem at all, why worry about something so minor? it's your vacation. Enjoy!

JRocker
04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I compare it to not holding the door for someone two steps behind you.

Does it have an impact? Sure. Minor, ultimately insignificant, but still an impact.

Does it bother me? Minutely for about two seconds, then it is forgotten.

Is it rude? Yes.

spoiledraf
04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
As many have said, one or two people cutting won't affect my vacation. But then again, those same two going to the end of the line won't really affect theirs. Conclusion. Go to the end of the line.

PopPhan
04-12-2012, 03:58 PM
This thread is rapidly deteriorating from the original poster's question into a 'line jumping' discussion....

To the original poster: In terms of etiquette, the procedure would be for one person to get the FastPasses for the group while the rest of the group makes their way to the ride/attraction you are going to take in while you wait for your FastPass window to open.

The group going to that attraction should NOT get in the queue until you (or whomever is the FastPass "runner") can catch up to them. At that point, you can all get in the queue together.

Enjoy your trip!!!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
This thread is rapidly deteriorating from the original poster's question into a 'line jumping' discussion....

To the original poster: In terms of etiquette, the procedure would be for one person to get the FastPasses for the group while the rest of the group makes their way to the ride/attraction you are going to take in while you wait for your FastPass window to open.

The group going to that attraction should NOT get in the queue until you (or whomever is the FastPass "runner") can catch up to them. At that point, you can all get in the queue together.

Enjoy your trip!!!

:thumbsup:

Besides - as narrow as many queues are - line jumpers always end up stepping on my toes, putting backpacks in my face (I'm only 5'3") or in my chest. It can be painful to those of us already waiting in the line.

spoiledraf
04-12-2012, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Enjoy your trip!!!

Here's the question that is asked in the original post.
""How will the people in line with us feel when the one that went for fast passes "cuts in line?"

I believe she is asking what will people think when someone jumps them in line, thus it has become a "line jumping" thread. The reason it seems that way is because thats how it started out! :D

Looks to me like the vast majority of posters would really like you and your party to stick together and join up at the END of the line. While most if not all would bite their tounge, line jumping is not accetable in THIS case.

DonaldDuckUSA
04-12-2012, 09:57 PM
The real annoyance someone "line cutting" is that everyone has to move aside and push against other people in an already relative tight space. I understand what you're going for, and yes, it is only one person, but it disturbs the balance of the que. This is especially annoying if its a crowded hot day. (No offense) :D

We try to condense our time by one person getting the fastpasses while the other grabs a quick breakfast/popcorn/soft drink/whatever supplies are needed at that moment.

Sometimes it works out that one of us has to use the bathroom and the other doesn't. It's my way of DBF being less annoyed by my frequent bathroom breaks, but that is another story. Too much info?:secret:

disneymom2000
04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
You know - I wish everyone was as considerate as you to even think this might pose a problem. I see a lot of people at theme parks that don't even consider other peoples feelings. :secret:

MNNHFLTX
04-12-2012, 10:37 PM
You know - I wish everyone was as considerate as you to even think this might pose a problem. I see a lot of people at theme parks that don't even consider other peoples feelings. :secret:
I agree. And truth be told, if this happened to me in line I would think about it for all of a fraction of second. Just not that important.

BrerSchultzy
04-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I will add my voice to saying it isn't wrong, but it's not quite right either. I don't think most people mind when it happens (we've done this when our son just could not wait to get in line, but one of us had to park the stroller), and as long as you're polite, most people have been very courteous. But this does fall into the category of "if you have to ask...".

Quadstriker
04-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Use this as a rule.

My time is not more important than the time of the people next to me.

Here's another one.

Just because someone chooses not to escalate the situation and overlooks my rude behavior, it does not make my rude behavior acceptable.

A Big Kid
04-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Use this as a rule.

My time is not more important than the time of the people next to me.

Here's another one.

Just because someone chooses not to escalate the situation and overlooks my rude behavior, it does not make my rude behavior acceptable.

:thumbsup: this.

Seasonscraps
04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I think everyone should get in line together.