PDA

View Full Version : Tom Sawyer Island: Hidden Gem? Or Avoid?

MrPeetrie
04-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Hello, Intercotees. We will be returning this October to WDW. (Yah!)

Our DS will be 2 1/2 and is very active and we thought he might enjoy TSI. What do you think? Do you visit it? Or do you avoid it?

In all our trips, my DW and I have only taken the raft ride there once, and that was to relax. I can't remember much about it except some caves and peanut butter sandwiches. what is your feeling?

Aurora
04-10-2012, 10:25 AM
What's nice about Tom Sawyer Island is that it's really a place where kids can blow off some steam.

Bouncy bridges, caves, a frontier fort with "shooting" guns, rock climbing, a water mill, etc.

No standing in lines or seeing things from a seat, but really running around, touching, climbing and exploring. It's great for active children of any age.

AmandaChan
04-10-2012, 10:28 AM
There are plenty of areas for them to run around. The bridge, which goes over to the little cabin thing. Just depends if they're good with rugged terrain. My son is almost two and I would take him, but I would probably be careful when it comes to running around the little rough parts. But I think he would love it though. We love TSI so much. I hope they never try to get rid of it.

buzznwoodysmom
04-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Definitely take your son and give it a try. We've been visiting WDW since my boys were 2 years old, and 9 months old. TSI is still a favorite and they are now 10 and 12!!! We used to take them there to get them out of the stroller and let them run off some energy, but they still ask to go back on pretty much every trip. It's like stepping out of the parks for a bit and just slowing down!!!!

dizneydeb22
04-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I read your question earlier and was eagerly waiting the responses. Our family has never been to TSI either, but we are definitely putting this on our list of new things we are going to try this year!

Thank you for asking the question and thanks to all that replied!

joonyer
04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Our two boys, who are older teenagers now, absolutely loved Tom Sawyer Island. They were 6 & 9 on our first family visit and they would have stayed for hours if we had let them. DW and I took a break at Aunt Polly's (rocking chairs!) while the kids ran around and had an old fashioned rootin'-tootin', exploring adventure. Of all the attractions at WDW, it was the one they most wished we had in our back yard at home. :)

DVC2004
04-10-2012, 01:29 PM
We visited it a few times when my boys were smaller, they really liked it. I think your 2 1/2 will love it but it probably won't be too relaxing for you as parents (chasing him around). But, it's a fun place and my boys really enjoyed running around and playing pretend.

Dopey's Girl
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
When I go as a solo adult, I avoid it. When there are kids on the trip with me, it's a must do. The kids love being able to run off some energy and explore the island. I say give it a try!

KAJUNKING
04-10-2012, 02:16 PM
We enjoy tsi, we don't go every trip but probably every other :mickey:

Stu29573
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Its a "must do" for our family....even if no kids are along! It's just a great rustic environment with lots of stuff for kids to discover. Very well done.

MrPeetrie
04-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice.

brownie
04-10-2012, 04:18 PM
I've never set foot on it. I've always had other higher priority things to do. If we were closer and spent a lot of time in the parks, I'd probably make an effort to explore it.

spoiledraf
04-10-2012, 04:49 PM
We're taking the grandkids and their moms in June and have never stopped at the Island. I have always wondered about it. Sounds like a great play area for a 4,5 and 7 year old and a great place for a pregnant mama, my daughter, to sit back in the shade and watch the kids run!

K8screen
04-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Whenever I need to go to a happy place in my mind, at dentist or yoga or if I just cant sleep, the rocking chairs on TSI are where I go. I love the place with or without kids and cant imagine visiting MK without going there. Its one of the things that make WDW so much more than just another theme park

Mr.Boardwalk
04-10-2012, 08:42 PM
After reading all of these posts think I'm going to have to have my little guy try it out this trip.:thumbsup:

Mousemates
04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Its a great place for young and pre-teen boys...our son loved it back in the day.

TheVBs
04-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I agree with everyone, it's a great part of the park! You even feel a little removed from the crowds there.

PlutoPlanet
04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
With a young child TSI is a lot of fun. Don't miss it.

ANG
04-11-2012, 01:18 PM
We've only done it once. DS1 was 1.5 at the time and he loved it. So we will make sure to do it again for him to stretch

Main Street Jim
04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Fort Sam Clemens - guns in the towers to "shoot' at the riverboat, Big Thunder trains, and river pirates :) Gotta cross that *loooong* suspension bridge!

Secret caves and tunnels to explore - Injun Joe's diamond mine is one of 'em. Make sure to check out the "secret exit" from the fort :thumbsup:

Barrel bridge. Take some time to admire Master Gracey's mansion from this side of the island. :thumbsup:

Look for the owl in the water mill.

Climb up into the windmill.

Explore the hill on the main island (there *are* two islands, ya know ;) ).

It is a shame, though, that Aunt Polly's is no longer open. :( Cold fried chicken and *the best* PB&J sammiches this side of Mississippi! ;)

Fastpasssteve
04-11-2012, 11:39 PM
If I had kids, we would go over to the island. I think it's important for younger people to see and experience life from a simpler time...without handheld electronics.

As it is, my friends and I don't set foot on the island. :cap:

CzepielCrew
04-12-2012, 09:17 AM
It was a great break from the park for my boys. You can give them some extra freedom to run and like others said, gives them a break from unending lines.

kohlby
04-13-2012, 12:26 PM
It was not a priority for us during our first three with-kids trip because we only had one day at MK. That meant we didn't get to it. We had two MK days this last trip and did get over there. The kids did enjoy it. We're planning another trip and the plan is the same - it's not worth it for us to do on a 1-day MK trip but is for a 2-day MK trip.

The Dad
04-13-2012, 12:29 PM
I think that your little guy would love it.....you might consider getting him geared up for it by watching some of the old Fess Parker "Davey Crockett" episodes....."Davey Crockett and the River Pirates" comes to mind, where they are headed downriver on kielboats similar to the ones used to get to Tom Sawyer Island. Be sure to get him a coonskin cap and brace of pistols to fend off the bad guys! Come to think of it....you may never get him off of the island! Have a great adventure!

Main Street Jim
04-13-2012, 06:59 PM
I think that your little guy would love it.....you might consider getting him geared up for it by watching some of the old Fess Parker "Davey Crockett" episodes....."Davey Crockett and the River Pirates" comes to mind, where they are headed downriver on keelboats similar to the ones used to get to Tom Sawyer Island. Be sure to get him a coonskin cap and brace of pistols to fend off the bad guys! Come to think of it....you may never get him off of the island! Have a great adventure!Hi, "TheDad" :) Welcome to the boards!

Just wanted to let you know, that the keelboats haven't been in the Magic Kingdom since about 2002. Rafts - not the keelboats - are used to ferry guests across the river to TSI. :thumbsup: Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, just passing along some information. :mickey:

Also, I'm not even real sure they still have the coonskin hats any more. Haven't seen them for quite some time, unless the Frontier Outpost or Big Al's (kiosk) has 'em.

MrPeetrie
04-13-2012, 09:21 PM
I want to thank everybody for their suggestions. We are DEFINITELY scheduling some Tom Sawyer Island-time for my little man!

Mrs Bus Driver
04-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Seems everyone keeps talking about how boys will love TSI. As a 50 something woman I just want to add that girls love it to. Went to DL lots when I was a child with my 2 sisters (no brothers) and we had a great time, caves, bridges and shooten guns. We don't all want to be princesses when we grow up. Some of us want to be the hero and save the day.:D:goofy: