PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

Scar
04-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Last night I got takeout from a local restaurant. It’s a family owned Ice cream/sweet shop that is also a full menu restaurant. I ordered a cheeseburger and fries and when I got home there were fries, a bun, lettuce and tomato but no burger. Now, I know the owner and he graciously donates a gift card and a large trey of chocolate covered strawberries every year to a fundraising event we run, so compensation is out of the question even if he offered. My question is should I let him know what happened? I don’t know if he would want to know so he can let his staff know they messed up. What do you guys think? Anyone here ever owned a restaurant and if so would you want to know?

VWL Mom
04-07-2012, 05:07 PM
I grew up in the restaurant business (my dad owned a diner) and yes, IMO, you should absolutely let him know. You're a repeat customer and he would appreciate it. Let him know you're not looking for anything but just wanted to make him aware. If he offers the next burger on the house check the bun before you leave :D

TinkerbellT421
04-07-2012, 05:34 PM
I would say yes, there is no reason why you shouldn't. You stated you aren't looking for a refund or even a comped meal. It's one of those things where if he doesn't know about it, he can't address it with his staff. If his staff did that now, they will do it again, even though I am sure it was by accident. Oye, the things I forget I was doing when a phone call comes in :blush: But it is definitely something as an owner's perspective, I am sure he would want to know. Because if it is a habitual habit of one or so of his employees then it is definitely something he would want to address. He would much rather hear it from a non-judgemental friend than a really rude stranger. Let him know, and I am sure it will be obvious that you didn't want your meal comped or else you would have run back there the second you noticed. Just tell him in a "hey, just so you know" sort of way. :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
04-07-2012, 09:45 PM
I agree. You're someone who will be returning to this restaurant in spite of this incident. Someone else might not, and the owner would definitely want to know so that this type of thing doesn't happen again.

mgmnut
04-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I think you might have hit on a one time thing here. Sounds like someone in a rush jumped the gun and pulled the to go container early to complete the order. I would hate to think something like this happens on a regular basis and goes unnoticed.

If you are friendly with the owner, and it sounds like you are, the next time you see him I would bring it up in a light or joking manner. Not sure if I would seek him out to let him know. I myself would have gone back as soon as I noticed, but not really sure how upset I would have been about it though. I think I may have thought it was pretty funny that they could have missed the key "burger" ingredient.

SBETigg
04-07-2012, 10:53 PM
I would definitely say something. I would want to know. In fact, I would have called the restaurant immediately. That's a pretty big mistake and they should have the chance to rectify it. I'm sure they would have wanted to make it right, given the chance and opportunity to know there was a mistake.

Scar
04-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Thank you all. I will say something. I am friendly with the owner, but not friends. And I do plan on returning many times. The best ice cream I've ever had. I'll just have to check my bag from now on. ;)

DizneyRox
04-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Should have gone to Wendy's... :D

Where's the beef, get it? get it? Ahhh, I'm dating myself...

Ed
04-08-2012, 08:51 AM
I ordered a cheeseburger and fries and when I got home there were fries, a bun, lettuce and tomato but no burger.

Are you sure it wasn't a vegetarians-only restaurant? :D

Should have gone to Wendy's... :D

Where's the beef, get it? get it? Ahhh, I'm dating myself...

Step away from the jelly beans, Rox....;)

TheVBs
04-08-2012, 09:02 AM
I agree with PPs. Any good business owner would want to know this happened.

brownie
04-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes, you should let him know. There was a breakdown in a process, and he can't fix it if he doesn't know it happened.