PDA

View Full Version : No DP for us.........

olivegirl
04-07-2012, 03:44 PM
We will be in Disney for vaca on Tuesday :cloud9:!!!! First time not on the DP. We wanted to see if the DP is a deal for us. My DD13, and myself are not big eaters but DH is another story! We are going to save receipts and do a comparison. I have always wanted to do this but it was just easier to do DP. I have read many posts that people have done this and alot of them find that there are no savings for them on DP. I know that everyone is different though!!!!

SBETigg
04-07-2012, 04:22 PM
I've decided to stop using the DDP in hope that Disney restores some quality. It could be an exercise in futility, but I feel better about it.

TinkerbellT421
04-07-2012, 04:47 PM
First year DBF and I went together we did mostly counter services as it was a last minute trip and there was no budget time. Second trip together we did the regular Dinning Plan, we did a bunch of restaurants, after coming home we felt like complete utterly full pigs after all the deserts, meals and snacks, and we left behind two counter services and found ourselves running around the gift shop the day we were leaving to use the remaining 5 snacks we had! The third trip we decided to do the dinning plan and decided to save all our receipts. We did the math, minus the deserts and the everyday snacks (and we again left two counter services behind) we figured out we could have saved $200 not on the dinning plan and still eat where we ate. The calculation of the dinning plan cost includes desserts, we are not dessert eaters at every meal minus the two counter services and snacks we bought just for the sake of buying them because we had them we were shocked at what we actually didn't save. The "convenience" of the cost of the dinning plan just cannot convince us to not save $200! So the fourth trip, we ate everywhere and I mean including Fulton's, Cape May, OHana, we did not skimp on meals or places, never once worried about price, we budgeted our money as if we were paying the Dinning Plan but instead used cash, so whatever the cost it was going to be for us to be on the dinning plan we saved that much money in cash, instead of purchasing something you cannot receive a refund from, we used the cash, we came home with $200, and put it back in the vacation fund for our fifth trip. I would rather have money left over than struggle HAVING to use something because it is already bought and you can't refund it. Cash is better than convenience in my book :) Hope you find out which way is best for you and your family and that it works out that you come home with cash for your next trip too :)

And we still eat where we want, eat what we want, and eat snacks when we feel like it, but minus the pressure of the "have to's" because we "have to".

BrowncatP
04-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Last time I used the DDP, I paid for it thinking I was saving money. NOPE! It cost about $100. more for the plan. I too am not a dessert person, so I really would not be buying them when eating in the restaurants. IF it's FREE, it is worth looking into though.

BugeyedMuggy
04-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Every family is different. For some the dining plan is a plus for others it is a room discount. The one thing I frown on reading is when someone will choose it because they don't want to worry about the cost of dining. Sometimes the savings of a room discount is worth more. Then you can purchase gift cards in advance with the savings to pay for dining. We also purchase the TIW which also saves us 20%.

Seasonscraps
04-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I tracked our meal costs from our last trip without the DP:
The DP would have cost $412 for the two of us.

We spent a total of $364 on meals including tip, appetizers and drinks. The costs which would have been covered by the DP came to $256.

We had 4 TS lunches, 1 TS dinner and 2 QS dinners - it's just how it worked out. We weren't looking to save by eating lunch, it was just how it worked out.

Airblue1
04-07-2012, 09:48 PM
It didn't save us $ and we had flexible dining choices. Plus I only drink H2O and like desserts from non restaurant areas!
We ate a TS everyday!

AJ Springfield
04-08-2012, 09:40 AM
I did the math in 2010 and we came out ahead by NOT using the DP. Many items we wanted would not have been covered and we would have paid out of pocket for them. I think it's worth noting that they may say the DP is a certain price, but when it is added to your resort reservation it is considered a "package" and the price suddenly goes up. I am glad I had a calculator with me when I called the night I made reservations. I would recommend that if anyone calls to make a reservation, to price the room only and then get a price of room plus DP and see the difference.

CuteAsMinnie
04-09-2012, 06:33 PM
We have also done the math and we save a ton of $$ NOT choosing the DDP. Also, we by now have our favs and we don't eat three meals plus snacks each day. That is just way too much food.

:mickey:

tdk316
04-09-2012, 07:49 PM
The only time we get DDP is when it's "free" or we're traveling with extended family. We've kept track in the past and it isn't worth it for us especially when we stay DVC and have the kitchen.

Tink#64
04-09-2012, 11:55 PM
We have never done a dining plan! I've done the math every trip & we always come out ahead NOT having a dining plan! We're not big eaters & I think that WDW is generous with their portions! Typically I nosh off my DS's & we get something to share, ie: salad, fruit, bread sticks, etc & all walk away satisified. I hate to toss those leftovers in the trash! Money thrown away! I'd much rather be a little hungry a couple of hours later & treat ourselves to a mickey bar or dole whip! :cloud9:

I'll take this a step further, last year was the first year that we've visited WDW with NO ADR'S!
:drama::rub: And I must say, it was fantastic! We didn't have to be anywhere at a certain time!
(Except park openings of course! :yes:) :mickey: