PDA

View Full Version : Nation's Capital - here we come!

Melanie
04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
For those of you who don't know, my hubby is a Marine and our 3 wonderful, Disney-filled years here in Florida have flown by and are coming to an end. We (finally) got official orders this week and we're headed to DC. We lived in Maryland right outside of DC for 3 years back in the early '00s, and loved it. We're huge history buffs and can't wait to be in the middle of it all again, and also the easy opportunity to travel to NY, New England, etc. And can't wait for the change of seasons. I love fall and winter! We're looking to live in Virginia this time.

That all said, this will be the first of our many moves where I'll be crying hysterically as we drive away. Usually I'm ready to move on, but we've absolutely loved it here. Tampa is a great place to live! We've fallen in love with all the sports teams (well, except the Bucs - lol), found great friends and love my job. My boys (particularly my 8th grader) do not want to leave. And then there's this theme park about an hour away. :mickey: In all honesty, the weather is really the only negative. Christmas just isn't the same in 80 degree weather. :unsure:

With my boys growing up and my hubby most likely retiring in 3 years, big changes will be upcoming for us. It should be interesting seeing where we end up. My constant through all my life changes is always INTERCOT and Disney though. Can't wait to see so many of you in October for ICOT15!

TinkerbellT421
04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
For those of you who don't know, my hubby is a Marine and our 3 wonderful, Disney-filled years here in Florida have flown by and are coming to an end. We (finally) got official orders this week and we're headed to DC. We lived in Maryland right outside of DC for 3 years back in the early '00s, and loved it. We're huge history buffs and can't wait to be in the middle of it all again, and also the easy opportunity to travel to NY, New England, etc. And can't wait for the change of seasons. I love fall and winter! We're looking to live in Virginia this time.

That all said, this will be the first of our many moves where I'll be crying hysterically as we drive away. Usually I'm ready to move on, but we've absolutely loved it here. Tampa is a great place to live! We've fallen in love with all the sports teams (well, except the Bucs - lol), found great friends and love my job. My boys (particularly my 8th grader) do not want to leave. And then there's this theme park about an hour away. :mickey: In all honesty, the weather is really the only negative. Christmas just isn't the same in 80 degree weather. :unsure:

With my boys growing up and my hubby most likely retiring in 3 years, big changes will be upcoming for us. It should be interesting seeing where we end up. My constant through all my life changes is always INTERCOT and Disney though. Can't wait to see so many of you in October for ICOT15!

Sounds like it is going to be a bittersweet move! I can understand your love for Florida and also your love for the season change. Being a New Englander that is one thing I know for sure I would HATE to lose moving anywhere else. I love the season changes. And the whole 80 degrees at Christmas, due to our unseasonably warm winter I can say that I can understand where you are coming from, have 60+ degrees for the month of Christmas was a total mood killer for me :( I couldn't imagine having 80+ for Christmas day, I loved but hated the fact I was walking to my DBF's Aunts door without a jacket on :/ It was a little depressing. As much as I love Christmas it didn't feel like Christmas this year which was really heart wrenching for me.

If you come to visit New England be sure to hit me up so we can meet!!

Good luck with the move!

wildernesslady
04-06-2012, 10:40 AM
It seems like a very bittersweet move for you. At least you are going somewhere familiar to you and DC is wonderful.

I can't imagine being so close to DW and then having to leave it. You will probably only be about a 10-11 hr drive away though.

Good luck to you and your family. I have a feeling Tampa may be your home again someday.

DVC2004
04-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Awww! Good luck with your move and the new adventure. It seems exciting though I would be very sad to leave FL too! We visited the Capital about a year and half ago and we loved it. Busch Gardens was alot of fun, but the rich history was even more amazing. The Smithsonian, all the monuments, Georgetown, Colonial Willamsburg...lots of great things to explore.

Best wishes to you and your family and maybe it will be just a few short years until you are back in Tampa!

BrerGnat
04-06-2012, 11:07 AM
That all said, this will be the first of our many moves where I'll be crying hysterically as we drive away.

I can totally relate to that. I still cry sometimes (in my head, but not really) when I think about how much I miss living in CA. It's pathetic, really. I AM a grownup, but I really miss Disneyland. :mickey:

We can be homesick for Disney together in VA. :D

Mickey'sGirl
04-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I wish you and your family all the best during your transition, Mel. When do you move? Will you be able to take advantage of the parks through the summer, or will you be Smithsonian bound by then?

Disney4us2
04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Glad the official orders finally came in. Good luck with the move.

TinkerbellT421
04-06-2012, 12:46 PM
By the way! I almost forgot until I saw this, how are your migraines???

Dopey's Girl
04-06-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm glad that you finally have your orders Melanie. Can't imagine having to wait in info like that.

:pixie:for a safe move, and that you all get settled in quickly.

I spend time in the Tampa area every year, I love it. Sorry you have to leave, but at least the area you are moving too has some pretty amazing places to explore!

SBETigg
04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Wishing you a successful and happy relocation. It has got to be hard. Especially when you have had a good time in the Tampa area and kids are at those hard-to-move ages. We moved from MA to MI and back again during my son's middle school years and it was really a hard time to move for him, but things work out. You must be a pro at packing/moving by now!

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2012, 06:49 PM
So, will you become a Redskins fan? ;)

Seriously, so glad that you finally know where you're going and that it's someplace so exciting! Good luck with your packing and preparing--wish I could be there to help! :shop: (I know that's the shopping smiley, but we don't a packing/moving boxes smiley, so it'll have to do!)

vizsla
04-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Good Luck with your move.

Kairi_7378
04-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Best of luck to you with your move!

I will miss your first hand reports of all of the goings on at WDW... but not as much as you will miss giving them, I'm sure!

buzznwoodysmom
04-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Good luck with the move Mel. I can't believe those 3 years have flown by already. Seems like you guys just arrived in Florida about a year ago. I'm sure your going to miss it, but you know you'll be back as often as possible. And like Natalie said, you guys can be Disney homesick together. Who knows, maybe you will decide to retire to Flordia in a few years!!!!

White Rose
04-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Sorry to hear you're leaving, but glad you're coming to an area you'll be happy in! Also, if your hubby does end up retiring in 3 years, he'll do so in a GREAT area for jobs for former military (I live in MD, myself--I'm sure you know).

Hope the move goes safely and smoothly! <3

bleukarma
04-07-2012, 09:26 PM
I can't believe the 3 years has flown by so fast! Seems like you just got here. I'm glad you got the best out of the area while you were here, and I know you will get the best out of the D.C. area. Tampa would love to have you back one day, there are many great opportunities for retired military down here! :mickey:

hoop de do
04-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Good Luck and health to you and yours in all your future endeavors. I'm really going to miss your on-scene updates. I've enjoyed those posts.
See you at ICOT 15.

:tink::pixie::tink::pixie:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Good luck with your move.

princessgirls
04-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Melanie,

Prayers for you and your family as you move and readjust your life! Not only does your husband sacrifice for MY freedom, it is a family sacrifice as well. That becomes harder as your boys get older and make friends.

If you come up to NYC I'd love to hook up with you!
I'm sure you will love being in Virginia after you all settle in. Three more years...Three more years...and then you can move where YOU like!

Julie:mickey:

diz_girl
04-16-2012, 12:01 PM
God luck with the move. I don't know how you do it every three years. We had to move last year because my base closed and I hated it. We've been here almost a year and it's barely tolerable (that's being generous). As much as people knock NJ, I lived in a great place (great beaches, parks, restaurants, shops, schools, concert venues, etc.), so I feel your pain.

minnie-mouse
04-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Welcome Back Melanie! DC/MD/VA area is wonderful. Where in VA will you be looking? Wait til you see the many changes in this area? So many areas have been so built up and changed. Good luck to you and your family with the move.