PDA

View Full Version : Yachtsman or Shula's Steakhouse

VWL Mom
04-06-2012, 06:27 AM
We'll be staying at BCV for F&W this year. It'll be DH's first time at an Epcot resort and I'm a bit nervous so I want everything to be just right since he is a foodie. We don't do DDP so that's not a factor.

If you had a choice, which one would you choose?

SBETigg
04-06-2012, 09:52 AM
I have been to both. Yachtsman was a huge disappointment. Huge! I can't even begin to tell you how much we were let down. Shula's was far and above the superior steakhouse. With superior prices to match, but so so so much better than Yachtsman. I wouldn't even consider Yachtsman again. If you want a good classic steakhouse meal, the choice is Shula's. If you want an acceptable Disney Signature meal that even pales in comparison to the other Disney Signature restaurants (my opinion, of course) Yachtsman.

My prediction, and I could be wrong, is that your poll will be heavily skewed toward Yachtsman, simply for the fact that most people would usually pick the Disney restaurant to try over the outside restaurant, and many have tried Yachtsman and not Shula's. If you get responses from people who have actually tried both, I believe the result would be heavily in Shula's favor. I know there are people who love Yachtsman and they might disagree, but as a foodie and a fan of Disney's Signature restaurants in general, I hope you trust me on this one.

Scar
04-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I've been to both one time each. I give Shula's the vote, but Yachtman's was also very good. We were a party of three and we all enjoyed the food and service. Not sure what happened during Sherri's visit, but I would go again. :shrug:

SBETigg
04-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I've been to both one time each. I give Shula's the vote, but Yachtman's was also very good. We were a party of three and we all enjoyed the food and service. Not sure what happened during Sherri's visit, but I would go again. :shrug:

Aha, see! I knew there were people who enjoy Yachtsman. I suppose some people might like it. Fine.;) I'm perhaps judging harshly. But...

My Yachtsman experience: They show lovely steaks in the window that were nothing like the fatty meat on my plate.The side dishes were overcooked (limp and mushy veggies) with the exception of the sweet potato beignet (which were delicious, but not a good match for the savory steak). They made cheap substitutions on the cheese plate and my bisque that made them both disappointments (advertise high end ingredients, but don't serve them). The atmosphere is airy and bright, and I like my steakhouses dimly lit and romantic. Velvet is a plus. Our server would not stop telling us personal stories about her kids and her cat, and forgetting to bring us ordered food or refill drinks. Overall, it failed to impress.

My Shula's experience, far different. The steak was amazing, as shown. The ingredients advertised were all present and accounted for. The service was impeccable. The atmosphere, impressive. At Shula's, we felt like we were in a very fine dining establishment, with food and service to match. At Yachtsman, we felt we were at the Outback Steakhouse (but even they know how to cook vegetables). If you want to impress a foodie, Yachtsman is not the place to do it. Even if you don't choose Shula's there are better Signature dining experiences that serve good steak and other things (California Grill, Flying Fish, Jiko, Citricos, Narcoossees) with impressive service and atmosphere to match.

TinkerbellT421
04-06-2012, 11:25 AM
They made cheap substitutions on the cheese plate and my bisque that made them both disappointments (advertise high end ingredients, but don't serve them).

Oh no see!! That's just not right!! You do NOT mess with this girls Cheese! :mad::-o I have an unhealthy obsession with cheese.......that would have made everything good bad in my eyes, DBF would have had to peel me off the ceiling. lol

To OP I have never eaten at either. I wouldn't eat at a Shula's in Disney because a) We have like three within drivable distance of us and just can't seem to justify that much money for a steak. Yachtsman, eh, DBF and I never have the desire for those types of meals I guess when we are in Disney. But maybe one day for a special occassion or something, just nothing we will go out of our way for. I'm interested to read the opinion here though.

Belle of the Ball 051411
04-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Shula's!

VWL Mom
04-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone, I think Sherri convinced me to try Shula's. Substituting and bait & switch just doesn't cut it with me.

We're doing CaliGrill and Narcoossee's in June, Citrico's was a bust for us last November, would love to try Jiko's but can't find anything DS16 would eat. I had been looking at Flying fish so I think will do that too.

Any opinions on Il Mulino?

BugeyedMuggy
04-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Yachtsman's service and food was not up to par if you are looking for a good steakhouse. We have never eaten at Shula's but we went to the first wine and food fest at the swan & dolphin 2010 and the steak at Shula's was amazing.

SBETigg
04-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks everyone, I think Sherri convinced me to try Shula's. Substituting and bait & switch just doesn't cut it with me.

We're doing CaliGrill and Narcoossee's in June, Citrico's was a bust for us last November, would love to try Jiko's but can't find anything DS16 would eat. I had been looking at Flying fish so I think will do that too.

Any opinions on Il Mulino?

I've never tried Il Mulino, but have heard good things. I'm impressed that the voting is equal so far, but I think you made a good choice (obviously). :D

Fangorn
04-06-2012, 08:25 PM
I've eaten at both, and Shula's is far superior (and the prices reflect it). Yachtsman is something of a family tradition for us and all but one meal there was excellent - both food and service. The one exception was, shall we saw, "less than adequate". The server was rude and the steak was not even edible. A long chat with the manager resulted in no charge for the meals. But if I hadn't already had many great experiences there, I'm pretty sure I'd be echoing Sherri's sentiments about not returning (for me, that award goes to Citrico's). On the flip side, the best server I've ever had at a Disney Signature restaurant was at Yachtsman.

Hammer
04-07-2012, 10:04 AM

I've eaten at both Yachtsman and a Shula's (not the one at WDW but menu and quality are usually the same, like Ruth Chris', the Palm and Morton's, at most locations). While my experience at Yachtman was fine, I would say go to Shula's.

The atmosphere is airy and bright, and I like my steakhouses dimly lit and romantic. Velvet is a plus.

Sherri, if you like velvet at your steakhouses, you need to go to Bern's in Tampa! One of the best steakhouse experiences I have had. It is a tradition for my Mom, my sister and I to eat there when we go down to Tampa for Christmas. Save room for dessert in the Dessert Room, though!

Scar
04-07-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm impressed that the voting is equal so far, ...I'm shocked that it's equal. Not one poster has said Yachtsman's yet.

MNNHFLTX
04-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Okay, I will say that the steak at Shula's is somewhat better, but not enough to justify their prices, IMO. The one time I ate at Shula's I was underwhelmed by the service, that's for sure. Guy acted like he was dng us a favor by refilling our water glasses (my guess is that we would have gotten prompter service had we ordered from the wine list). In any case, we were glad we went to the Disney World area Shula's (we've eaten at the one down in Miami too), but I feel no need to go back. Especially when we've been served very good steaks at Yachtsman and even Jiko (lovely Filet Mignon!) for less.

SBETigg
04-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Sherri, if you like velvet at your steakhouses, you need to go to Bern's in Tampa! One of the best steakhouse experiences I have had. It is a tradition for my Mom, my sister and I to eat there when we go down to Tampa for Christmas. Save room for dessert in the Dessert Room, though!

Thanks Christine! If I am in Tampa, I will give it a try.

mymickeymouse
04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Have been to shula's. Excellent meal and service. Compares favorably to mortons and ruth chris. Will be going during june trip. Cant wait:cloud9::thumbsup:

PlutoPlanet
04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
We ate at Yachtman's once and we said never again. The steaks weren't worth the price. The service was just okay. I would take a foodie somewhere else.

Belle of the Ball 051411
04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
@Christine & Sherri: I LOVE Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. It's one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. If either of you make it to Cincinnati, Louisville, or St. Louis, you must dine at one of Jeff Ruby's steakhouses. It's right up there with Bern's! Shula's is also right up there.