PDA

View Full Version : 20K Under the Sea vs Nemo Submarine Ride

dntccc
04-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I have read the reasons why WDW decided to close the 20K ride - slow-loading, expensive to maintain, not handicap accessible... However, I am curious why the submarine ride at DL got refurbished/re-themed (Nemo) and is still operating. Did that ride not have some of the same problems as the 20K ride had at WDW? Why did they not decide to do something similar with the 20K ride as they did with the DL sumbarine ride?

Stu29573
04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
I have heard that in addition to the points that you highlighted, there were issues with the lagoon leaking... Not sure how true that is, but I did hear it from a CM friend (not that that means much)...

That being said, its in my top five "lost attractions." That they changed the area into a playground was just insulting! Now, at least something worthwhile is going in... I hope...

disneynarula
04-05-2012, 03:07 PM
I went to Disneyland for the first time this summer and loved the Nemo Ride. I can't imagine that the Lagoon was beyond repair at WDW but maybe I am wrong. I agree that the change to a playground was a real shame.

IMHO Disneyland has done a spectacular job of improving that park. I am a die hard WDW fan but I think I might like DLR a little more. Epcot is still my favorite park but the California Adventure is a close second.

DVC2004
04-05-2012, 03:15 PM
I can't answer the differences between because I remember riding 20K at WDW, but I was a kid. I do remember a long wait. But then again, everything was a long wait back then.

I have ridden the Nemo Voyage at DL and really like it. I think from what I remember it seems very similar to 20K but of course updates scenes from Nemo and I am sure they enhanced the subs for accessibilty. My family loves it. We will be riding it again very soon when we are out there in May.

dntccc
04-05-2012, 03:57 PM
I have heard that in addition to the points that you highlighted, there were issues with the lagoon leaking... Not sure how true that is, but I did hear it from a CM friend (not that that means much)...

That being said, its in my top five "lost attractions." That they changed the area into a playground was just insulting! Now, at least something worthwhile is going in... I hope...

I actually was told by a WDW employee at the MK about the lagoon leaking. When we went to WDW back in 2004, I asked a worker at the MK why they closed the 20K ride. He said that the lagoon would leak into the employees' locker room.

Main Street Jim
04-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I actually was told by a WDW employee at the MK about the lagoon leaking. When we went to WDW back in 2004, I asked a worker at the MK why they closed the 20K ride. He said that the lagoon would leak into the employees' locker room.Correct :) I experienced it first-hand in the men's locker room right underneath 20K when I first started at the park back in 2001-2002, before the lagoon was drained and removed.

Not only did the lagoon "leak", but a few of the 12 subs were "leakers", too. There's a "legend" about how when they (Corporate) were trying to decide what to do with the ride, that the ride operators and Maintenance guys made sure that these upper-management types rode through in the most-leaking sub that they had...LOL...Maintenance was tired of fixing the leaking subs, and operators were tired of calling Maintenance. On top of all that, the lagoon had to be drained and cleaned out at least once a year, much like the water parks, Splash, and other water rides.

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2012, 05:31 PM
At least the leak was one story that is true... Unlike the sink hole under Horizons..

TinkerbellT421
04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
All I know is when I was in WDW for the first time and they had it there, I was extremely claustrophobic as a child. Got in there and then I freaked out and had to be let out of it, that's all I remember of it lol

lindique
04-05-2012, 08:45 PM
I have ridden the Nemo Voyage at DL and really like it. I think from what I remember it seems very similar to 20K but of course updates scenes from Nemo and I am sure they enhanced the subs for accessibility.
Hi, I have ridden the new Nemo ride at DL too. They couldn't enhance the subs for accessibility, but they added an under-water viewing area for guests who are unable to climb down the circular staircases in the submarines.

P.S. I read somewhere that the original ride had live "Mermaids" in the lagoon. Anyone know if that was true or legend?

2Epcot
04-05-2012, 08:54 PM
I only have vague memories of 20K at both WDW and Disneyland. I've only been on the Nemo Subs a couple of times since they reopened at Disneyland. They are OK, but not something I will usually wait in line unless I'm with someone who has never been on them. They do look nice, and I'm glad they're running as opposed to having a play area.

Fangorn
04-05-2012, 10:31 PM
P.S. I read somewhere that the original ride had live "Mermaids" in the lagoon. Anyone know if that was true or legend?

The original Disneyland version did indeed have live mermaids in the lagoon at some point. I don't know the timeframe for sure, but I seem to associate it with the the New Tomorowland opening - 1966-67 ish? They weren't there too terribly long though - maybe a couple of summers?

Steve

Stu29573
04-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Correct :) I experienced it first-hand in the men's locker room right underneath 20K when I first started at the park back in 2001-2002, before the lagoon was drained and removed.

Not only did the lagoon "leak", but a few of the 12 subs were "leakers", too. There's a "legend" about how when they (Corporate) were trying to decide what to do with the ride, that the ride operators and Maintenance guys made sure that these upper-management types rode through in the most-leaking sub that they had...LOL...Maintenance was tired of fixing the leaking subs, and operators were tired of calling Maintenance. On top of all that, the lagoon had to be drained and cleaned out at least once a year, much like the water parks, Splash, and other water rides.

Well, I guess they were right on this one, lol! Thanks Jim!

Main Street Jim
04-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I read somewhere that the original ride had live "Mermaids" in the lagoon. Anyone know if that was true or legend?True.

Do a Google image search for "live mermaids at disneyland submarine ride".

There's an article on USAToday.com titled "The Disneyland Mermaids", dated 4/6/2011. According to the article, the mermaids performed for the grand opening of the attraction in 1959, and appeared throughout that first summer. They didn't return until 1965. They then again only appeared for that one summer season.