PDA

View Full Version : Online WDW Forum Fan Cliches You're Tired of Reading

Super Ninja
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Recently started reading a couple forums. Strangely I see the same things repeated over and over again. Just getting tired of reading the same exact things repeated over and over. For me:

1. Complaining about Journey Into Imagination

I don't know I've just heard enough. There's so much nostalgia worship on this one ride, it's pretty nuts. Frankly, I didn't even like the original ride as a child. It was sensory overload. Too much gaudy designs all over the place, too much music. I disagree with the parallels to It's a Small World, which was far better designed imo. I honestly liked Spaceship Earth more. I don't mind the current version honestly. Maybe if I had to wait in line for an hour for it, but usually I ride on it twice in a row and enjoy it. They could re-do it, but I'd honestly rather have a new ride in World Showcase.

2. Trying to Revive Very Dead Imagineering Ideas that Will Never Be Brought Back

There's two in specific, Beastly Kingdom and Muppet Land in Disney Hollywood Studios. They're not going to do these plans ever. Hearing middle-aged adults crying for more Muppets in DHS I think is worse though. The Muppets have such limited appeal at this point, and the park is based on Hollywood. Seriously, the only attraction people can come up with when you can choose from the entire history of films for a serious investment is the Muppets? Even if you want more kiddy attractions, there are far better choices out there.

Jeri
04-04-2012, 12:51 PM
I guess I never gave any of these things much thought.:confused:
I never saw the original Journey Into Imagination so couldn't compare it. I don't mind this ride, but that is maybe because my kids like it.

As far as people wanting a Muppets Land, well this is the first I have heard anyone mention it. I think with the Muppet Movie that just came out they will be more popular for a bit. I like the Muppets & so do my kids, don't think they need a whole land, but wouldn't get upset if they did.
I have heard people talk about Beastly Kingdom, but again I don't know if I would care either way. I have heard some other rather odd wishes, but tend to just read and move on. I save judgemment for when I see the actual project done. We all can wish and dream for certain things in the parks, but it doesn't mean it will happen. I enjoy reading it all.

I think you are going to find many things re-talked about and debated on this and any board, it happens with new members coming on. I don't mind I rather enjoy reading other peoples comments & on the off chance I get bored with it I move on to another topic.
Believe me, on here these topics are not as heavily debated as some others.:blush:
But that is the joy of Intercot, look at the title of a thread, if it doesn't interest you , don't read it.:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
04-04-2012, 01:04 PM
getting tired of reading the same exact things repeated over and over.

Not trying to be mean here, but if your really tired of a topic that's brought up again and again just don't read it! That's what I do. With so many different topics it's not that hard to avoid ones that I'm either not interested in or that have been discussed in excess!

zipadeedoodah
04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Not trying to be mean here, but if your really tired of a topic that's brought up again and again just don't read it! That's what I do. With so many different topics it's not that hard to avoid ones that I'm either not interested in or that have been discussed in excess!

Agreed! This just comes across as an angry post. If you are tired of hearing about it, then why bring it up again!:confused:

Super Ninja
04-04-2012, 01:26 PM

That's kind of impossible. Imagination is talked about in every thread about Epcot, and every thread about the Avatar area eventually turns out to be about Beastly Kingdom. I've come across probably several hundred comments in threads that weren't about those subjects.

It's not an angry post. It's just constructive criticism I think. At some point, things become over kill I think. I'm not really talking about this forum in specific either.

SBETigg
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Actually, I don't see as many references to Imagination as I see about Horizons, but still not in even a quarter of the threads dealing with Epcot. And I rarely see Beastly Kingdom mentioned (though, yeah, it would have been better than Avatar-land, sorry). And sometimes, but rarely, see commentary on a potential Dark Kingdom. Haven't seen Muppet Land come up. Have seen some commentary on potentially redoing Muppets 3D. But... also, I see a lot of things come up time and again and it doesn't bother me. It's the nature of the boards. But you're entitled to your annoyance. I used to get tired of seeing 'Ohana referred to as O'hana. But I got over it. Mostly. :)

Strmchsr
04-04-2012, 02:09 PM
You won't read those things too much here on Intercot. Other boards are known for their complainers and whiners. We try to keep a different atmosphere here. While you will definitely find plenty of folks (myself included) who think the current Imagination pavilion is a waste and wish they would bring back Dreamfinder or at least some semblance of the original ride, you won't find that discussed ad nauseum here. Same with Beastly Kingdom. It's hardly every mentioned. That, in general, is why I avoid a lot of the bigger WDW fan sites. Too much non-helpful discussion and, honestly, there's never anything legitimate reported on those boards that we don't have here, too.

DonaldDuckUSA
04-04-2012, 02:11 PM
...just comes off a little harsh...

I think HS should be investing more money into the Muppets now that the movie was a box office hit. Heck, I can't wait till I can buy a Miss Piggy shirt on my next WDW trip!

Disney Doll
04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
I think I get where you are coming from. Some people get so wrapped up in the shoulda coulda woulda that they miss out on enjoying what Disney is now. It's nice to vent with other people who can relate so it does come up on forums a lot. I just ignore it for the most part unless it's a post about Imagination. I'm not outraged or anything, but let's be honest, the original really was so much better. ;)

spoiledraf
04-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Not to stir the pot but i really do wish they would bring back the original Figment!!! :(

Sylvia
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Not to stir the pot but i really do wish they would bring back the original Figment!!! :(

DITTO!!!

I actually came across a photo of myself with Figment. It was talen several years ago. :blush:

zipadeedoodah
04-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I think I get where you are coming from. Some people get so wrapped up in the shoulda coulda woulda that they miss out on enjoying what Disney is now. It's nice to vent with other people who can relate so it does come up on forums a lot. I just ignore it for the most part unless it's a post about Imagination. I'm not outraged or anything, but let's be honest, the original really was so much better. ;)

Well said! :)

KathyMO
04-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Not to stir the pot but i really do wish they would bring back the original Figment!!! :(:ditto::exactly:

JRocker
04-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I think they should bring back the original Figment, only he should move to the Beastly Kingdom.

:tiptoe:

Melanie
04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm not really talking about this forum in specific either.

Glad you clarified this, because being around here as long as I've been, the topics you mentioned are hardly ever discussed. Sure, there is casual mention of the fabulous JII that was, and there is occassional chatter about awesome projects that could have been, but neither are discussed ad nauseum. :rocks:

Super Ninja
04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Just thought I would mention a third thing.

At the other forums nitpicking seems to be out of control. On one hand it may be useful in a way I guess if it's actually aimed at getting Disney to improve things. But I can't help but feel some of these people have OCD with how they go over everything like with the tenacity of a food critic with a bad attitude. Here's a quote I just saw:

This video is the perfect example of why I stopped going to the Disney parks.

A reference to animatronics not working on a ride. This is from someone that obviously spends hours a day just criticizing and criticizing, and he doesn't even want to go to parks anymore? O___O Then why is he even bothering? This kind of reminds me a of a phenomena where the internet zaps the fun out of everything. Who goes on vacation to be a critic?

Ian
04-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Just curious ... when was your first visit to a Disney theme park?

DizneyFreak2002
04-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Just thought I would mention a third thing.

At the other forums nitpicking seems to be out of control. On one hand it may be useful in a way I guess if it's actually aimed at getting Disney to improve things. But I can't help but feel some of these people have OCD with how they go over everything like with the tenacity of a food critic with a bad attitude. Here's a quote I just saw:

A reference to animatronics not working on a ride. This is from someone that obviously spends hours a day just criticizing and criticizing, and he doesn't even want to go to parks anymore? O___O Then why is he even bothering? This kind of reminds me a of a phenomena where the internet zaps the fun out of everything. Who goes on vacation to be a critic?

I know the site you are talking about and I know the person who made that comment... Are you OK with bad show??? And by bad show I don't mean a paint chip that no one would see.. By bad show I mean that video he was referencing... You know, the ghetto version of Splash Mountain in WDW... When an entire show scene is allowed to go broken for weeks, when effects are NEVER fixed, when profit is put ahead of show, safety, efficiency then there is a problem and people, you know, the paying customers, have a right and dare I say a DUTY to complain... You may not like it, but hey, the complaining will not stop until the people in TDO who have Walmarted WDW are gone... Starting with Meg Crofton and Phil Holmes...

Not everything can be all pixie dust... reality needs to be brought up, and the "complainers" are only trying to point out the failing of TDO management and reality that WDW is not what it used to be, and I don't mean it is better... it has gotten cheaper... And attitudes like WELL IT IS DISNEY SO WHAT only plays into TDO's hands...

I really wish more people on Intercot would complain... The more eyes that are opened to the reality of how TDO is ruining WDW while Universal and now SeaWorld are the new innovators in theme park business, the better us WDW fans will be...

Sorry if this is too hard to take... But hey, truth hurts sometimes...

Super Ninja
04-04-2012, 11:29 PM
I know the site you are talking about and I know the person who made that comment... Are you OK with bad show??? And by bad show I don't mean a paint chip that no one would see.. By bad show I mean that video he was referencing... You know, the ghetto version of Splash Mountain in WDW... When an entire show scene is allowed to go broken for weeks, when effects are NEVER fixed, when profit is put ahead of show, safety, efficiency then there is a problem and people, you know, the paying customers, have a right and dare I say a DUTY to complain... You may not like it, but hey, the complaining will not stop until the people in TDO who have Walmarted WDW are gone... Starting with Meg Crofton and Phil Holmes...

Not everything can be all pixie dust... reality needs to be brought up, and the "complainers" are only trying to point out the failing of TDO management and reality that WDW is not what it used to be, and I don't mean it is better... it has gotten cheaper... And attitudes like WELL IT IS DISNEY SO WHAT only plays into TDO's hands...

I really wish more people on Intercot would complain... The more eyes that are opened to the reality of how TDO is ruining WDW while Universal and now SeaWorld are the new innovators in theme park business, the better us WDW fans will be...

Sorry if this is too hard to take... But hey, truth hurts sometimes...

It's just obviously exaggerated. I think this has to do with fandom psychology. Only the negative can be focused on. The positive eventually gets overpowered. Eventually, that develops into a doom and gloom philosophy. Then you have people who aren't really fans, but are critics going to the parks looking everywhere for things to critique instead of to enjoy themselves. And they get so bitter and angry over it they "quit" the parks. I'm sorry, but this is just a bit deranged. At least the guy would need to stop spending several hours a day at a forum about it if he actually did quit it. That tells me it's not really all about the parks.

Would it be really nice if Disney fixed every problem with Splash Mountain? Sure. But each time I ride it, I still enjoy the heck out of it and want to go on it again and again. I don't get fuming angry that that turtle on the geizer thing doesn't work.

It just doesn't seem like some of these people are very productive at all. I actually pretty much doubt 90% of these people have actually sent in any kind of complaint to Disney about things not working. I doubt any of them have done things like organized petitions or whatever else that can actually effect change. Some of them assume they're so important that Disney actually reads their forums so they should know, which is kind of laughable in itself.

Just curious ... when was your first visit to a Disney theme park?

Before I was born. I've been there plenty.

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2012, 12:38 AM
It's just obviously exaggerated. I think this has to do with fandom psychology. Only the negative can be focused on. The positive eventually gets overpowered. Eventually, that develops into a doom and gloom philosophy. Then you have people who aren't really fans, but are critics going to the parks looking everywhere for things to critique instead of to enjoy themselves. And they get so bitter and angry over it they "quit" the parks. I'm sorry, but this is just a bit deranged. At least the guy would need to stop spending several hours a day at a forum about it if he actually did quit it. That tells me it's not really all about the parks.

Would it be really nice if Disney fixed every problem with Splash Mountain? Sure. But each time I ride it, I still enjoy the heck out of it and want to go on it again and again. I don't get fuming angry that that turtle on the geizer thing doesn't work.

It just doesn't seem like some of these people are very productive at all. I actually pretty much doubt 90% of these people have actually sent in any kind of complaint to Disney about things not working. I doubt any of them have done things like organized petitions or whatever else that can actually effect change. Some of them assume they're so important that Disney actually reads their forums so they should know, which is kind of laughable in itself.

Before I was born. I've been there plenty.

You are missing the point, as does all the other ones who want to call the people who bring to light the Walmarting of WDW and the cheapness of TDO "doomers and gloomers"... WDW needs a voice... WDW needs to have that person or persons who bring out the problems in WDW... Al Lutz has managed to help bring to light issues in Disneyland, and wound up actually affecting change... People is, too many people view things through pixie dusted glasses after taking an unhealthy does of the pixie dust and can't seem to think anything can ever be wrong in WDW...

Imagination is just a part of the problems with management in WDW... The not so stellar food options, cutting of entertainment, shuttering restaurants and attractions with no replacements, slashing refurbishments for the sake of not having to spend money, and let us not forget the idiotic decision to shutter Pleasure Island with no real plan on any replacements...

Those are just some of the issues plaguing WDW... And it all comes down to management... Did you know that TDO had to have the Star Tours refurb shoved down their throats by the higher ups in Glendale??? Did you know Phil Holmes has cancelled a much needed Jungle Cruise refurb for the last 5 years???? How about the Space Mountain refurb that MK should have gotten being cut by Phil Holmes to its bare minimum??? MK's Space Mountain would have been the best Space Mountain if Phil wasn't too dag cheap.... Or, how about the new FLE, which is really just land reclamation??? They are 1) lying that it is the largest in MK history and 2) if was forced down their throats by higher ups in Glendale, and even so, TDO has managed to cut out some of what was planned, as well as cut down the 7DMC ride track...

Epcot is a shell of its former self... Soarin's film is disgustingly dirty with black spots appearing all over the film... The descent in Spaceship Earth is ghetto... The burning of Rome smell has been shut down for the last 2 years... Imagination is horrible... Now the dog in the farm scene in Living With The Land is gone... Speaking of, removing the skippers can also be listed as part of the cost cutting measures of TDO... And there is now the fiasco with the Test Track refurb (it is either happening or not, no word from Disney at all)...

There are lights out on the roof of the Grand Floridian (been like that for months already)... There is mold growing in the queue of Small World... But where does WDW spend their money??? NextGen... They rather track their guests than give their guests more bang for their buck... They have no issues removing a show or two and then raise prices 5%... And forget about the merchandise... Horrible beyond definition...

These are just some of the issues.. And yes, people need to bring this stuff out... People need to be brought up to speed about the slow but steady decline of WDW under the current management regime... And yes, Universal has surpassed Disney in bar raising attractions and immersing environments...

But I as long as their social media drones and pixie dust inhaling podcasters and bloggers who need to live the Disney lifestyle continue to spew how perfect WDW is and pretend there are no issues what so ever, then others have to take to Disney forums to make sure the truth gets told...

By the way, Disney DOES read the internet forums... And they DO know who the people who bring out the truth about the behind the scenes going on in TDO are...

Super Ninja
04-05-2012, 07:38 AM
By the way, Disney DOES read the internet forums... And they DO know who the people who bring out the truth about the behind the scenes going on in TDO are...

They absolutely don't. Which is what is preposterously sad about this whole thing. A bunch of miserable people hating the thing they're supposed to love, and they're not even directing it at fixing anything.

I'm sorry there is no corporation on Earth that has fixed anything due to people complaining on a forum the company doesn't own. None. Important people do not have the time to read online whining. You have to do it through the proper channels, the ones that every company at least has to pretend to take seriously. Other wise, you're doing nothing but spreading negativity with no positive benefit.

I've never seen a fanbase that again drinks their own koolaid so much. A few lower level employees spreading rumors, and suddenly they think upper management reads their forums. You're trying to give me a wake-up call, this is mine for you.

Strmchsr
04-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I've never seen a fanbase that again drinks their own koolaid so much. A few lower level employees spreading rumors, and suddenly they think upper management reads their forums. You're trying to give me a wake-up call, this is mine for you.

Two things 1.) Chill out on the snarkiness. That's not what this board is about.

2.) Actually, yes, they do read the boards. Not all of them, nor all the time, but Disney actually does scan the boards, especially on specific issues, looking for what fans are saying. This is not "lower level employees" spreading rumors. I have friends in upper management and teach for Disney on occasions so this is a fact. Maybe not as much as some people think, but they still do it.

wdwfansince75
04-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Back when I was young...really young, we had a toaster...pre-pop up...which only toasted one side of the bread at a time....You had to open the toaster, and turn the bread around to get the other side toasted...I learned at an early age that to get a perfect toast, you had to heat both sides. So it is with debate...the best subjects (and the reason I stay on this site, while staying of certain others) receive heat on both sides of the toast.

Oh, by the way, if you butter the toast first (with a strong bias), you may not only ruin the toast, you may burn up the toaster!

DVC2004
04-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Just wanted to add-Disney management does scan the internet chat boards from time to time to see what people are saying. Especially when a change is made. I know this for a fact. I used to work for Disney not that long ago and I was not a low level employee nor did I work at the theme parks.

Super Ninja
04-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Two things 1.) Chill out on the snarkiness. That's not what this board is about.

Not being snarky. Just completely honest. Some of these ideas are preposterous.

As far as non-official forums mattering because of paranoia bout Disney officials with power lurking in them or being reported to them by underlings, I don't buy it. I just don't. And not everyone is an employee. I think so many people have falsely claimed to have high level connections that people accept it as truth.

You want the dog at the Land back? Form an online petition, get over a thousand signatures and mail it in. But if that's suggested I'm sure it will be laughed off because "TDO" doesn't care by several people with Comic Book Guy atttitudes at other said forum, when that's probably the most likely way to get it fixed.

DVC2004
04-05-2012, 10:05 AM
As far as non-official forums mattering because of paranoia bout Disney officials with power lurking in them or being reported to them by underlings, I don't buy it. I just don't. And not everyone is an employee. I think so many people have falsely claimed to have high level connections that people accept it as truth.

I agree.

zipadeedoodah
04-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I LOVE wdw, and I won't stop loving it - maybe partly because I remember the way it started out, and I'm not a negative person. But, it is impossible to not see the decline in the company's desire to provide nothing but excellence in their theme parks. I'm not saying it's gonna stop me from spending money to make trips there yearly, or that they don't still provide magical vacations and memories for millions of people. But, it does make me sad when I ride Splash and see a number of effects neglected. For instance, I am bringing a first timer in September, and I would like to show her WDW in all its glory....not be building up all this hype to her on how AMAZING Soarin' is....only to have it not live up to everything I said because the film is filled with dust spots....etc, etc.

ransam
04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
back to the topic at hand.
One thing that annoys me more than anything is people talking about the cost going up. Of course it has, everything costs more today.
But it takes money to continue to produce what disney offers.
for me, and trust me, I am in the low middle class income, Disney will always be worth the money.

PirateLover
04-05-2012, 11:30 AM
What you call being honest comes off as negative, and you won't find much support for your attitude on things around these parts. The main draw of Intercot is that it is very different than other message boards in that the moderators go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome and create a family friendly environment. Very little flaming occurs, and when it does, threads are often shut down.

Yes, some things DO come up time and time again, and that is the nature of message boards; however,having been a member of this board for almost 10 years, I really have not seen these topics come up very often. And, if you weren't referring to this board, then you shouldn't have posted about it here. I would venture to say the vast majority of Intercotees do not often venture over to other boards because we don't enjoy the atmosphere.

This statement in particular bothers me: "Hearing middle-aged adults crying for more Muppets in DHS I think is worse though." Sorry, that's not being honest, that's snark. I am one who wants to see Disney do more with the Muppets. Do they justify a land-NO! A big new attraction-NO! At least not at this point, but it's fun to speculate. While I may have made references in other posts to the original plan for 20 years ago, I personally have not called for it to be dusted off and reinstated, and don't know anyone who really believes that would happen :confused: And for the record, I think it's also out of line to include attacks on age. You can be as young as 13 to post on these boards, and I know for a fact we have posters in their 70s, so you really have no idea about someone's age... and unless I die at or before 50 (knock on wood) I am not middle-aged :cool:

ChipNDale79
04-05-2012, 11:42 AM
One thing that annoys me more than anything is people talking about the cost going up. Of course it has, everything costs more today.
for me, and trust me, I am in the low middle class income, Disney will always be worth the money.

I can agree with cost going up, however the cost increases in the past 5 years doesnt match inflation. I guess that's why they've had to continue to offer discounts.

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2012, 01:45 PM
They absolutely don't. Which is what is preposterously sad about this whole thing. A bunch of miserable people hating the thing they're supposed to love, and they're not even directing it at fixing anything.

I'm sorry there is no corporation on Earth that has fixed anything due to people complaining on a forum the company doesn't own. None. Important people do not have the time to read online whining. You have to do it through the proper channels, the ones that every company at least has to pretend to take seriously. Other wise, you're doing nothing but spreading negativity with no positive benefit.

They don't?? Disney doesn't read the fan forums??? Proof??? How about Disney shutting down a few of the smaller sites due to forum content??? How about Laughing Place being a ghost town since Disney laid the smack down on that site owner for people posting certain things about the inner workings of Disney, especially about the social media??? Disney MOST CERTAINLY DOES read internet fan forums... To believe otherwise is either 1) trolling for an argument or 2) hidden Disney social media agenda or 3) blindly following the pixie dust.... Which one are ya???

And ya, you are right, Disney pixie dust brigade, those who snort the pixie dust as a drug, the foaming at the mouth fanbois who think DISNEY IS PERFECT AND CAN DO NO WRONG drinks too much of the Disney social media kool aide....

And i don't need a wake up call... I have seen the slow demise with my own eyes...

Ohh and something else you need to understand, certain things are leaked by Disney on purpose to gauge fan reaction.... Jim Hill has been used, as has others, who have admitted to being used by Disney... Why??? To gauge fan reaction...

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2012, 01:48 PM

2.) Actually, yes, they do read the boards. Not all of them, nor all the time, but Disney actually does scan the boards, especially on specific issues, looking for what fans are saying. This is not "lower level employees" spreading rumors. I have friends in upper management and teach for Disney on occasions so this is a fact. Maybe not as much as some people think, but they still do it.

Thank you Chris.. Some people just cannot handle the truth and cannot face facts that Disney is run by a well oiled propaganda machine.. Or maybe they just cannot handle the fact that they are easily lead by a mouse...

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I LOVE wdw, and I won't stop loving it - maybe partly because I remember the way it started out, and I'm not a negative person. But, it is impossible to not see the decline in the company's desire to provide nothing but excellence in their theme parks. I'm not saying it's gonna stop me from spending money to make trips there yearly, or that they don't still provide magical vacations and memories for millions of people. But, it does make me sad when I ride Splash and see a number of effects neglected. For instance, I am bringing a first timer in September, and I would like to show her WDW in all its glory....not be building up all this hype to her on how AMAZING Soarin' is....only to have it not live up to everything I said because the film is filled with dust spots....etc, etc.

Zip, you are 100% correct in your post... Fans complain because they see their beloved WDW falling apart... Fans complain because you no longer get the bang for the buck with WDW... I have seen the decline myself over the last 5 years... others have seen it over the last 10, 15 years... A ton of things in WDW have become a joke...

And never mind Soarin's film being filled with dust spots, did you know Disney maintenance never cleans the projectors??? The fact they close WoL without any plans... Nope, they leave it there for what purpose?? To make more money and NOT provide extra capacity or entertainment for the guests... Or how about Disney management doing a study (before outsourcing the mousekeeping) that mousekeeping didn't have to actually vacuum the rugs in the hotel rooms???? All in the name of.... SAVING A BUCK...

Man, I can go on and on and on about the short comings in WDW.... And only management is to blame... And those people who feel entitled to have EVERYTHING open or else their vacations will be ruined can be tossed in there too...

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2012, 01:54 PM

But the problem is, cost goes up, quality and quantity goes down... Can you really justify Disney raising ticket prices 5% when they cut half the meet and greets or stage shows or remove attractions with no replacements???

Can you justify selling a $5.00 tee shirt for $40 bucks??? I can't...

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
What you call being honest comes off as negative, and you won't find much support for your attitude on things around these parts. The main draw of Intercot is that it is very different than other message boards in that the moderators go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome and create a family friendly environment. Very little flaming occurs, and when it does, threads are often shut down.

Yes, some things DO come up time and time again, and that is the nature of message boards; however,having been a member of this board for almost 10 years, I really have not seen these topics come up very often. And, if you weren't referring to this board, then you shouldn't have posted about it here. I would venture to say the vast majority of Intercotees do not often venture over to other boards because we don't enjoy the atmosphere.

This statement in particular bothers me: "Hearing middle-aged adults crying for more Muppets in DHS I think is worse though." Sorry, that's not being honest, that's snark. I am one who wants to see Disney do more with the Muppets. Do they justify a land-NO! A big new attraction-NO! At least not at this point, but it's fun to speculate. While I may have made references in other posts to the original plan for 20 years ago, I personally have not called for it to be dusted off and reinstated, and don't know anyone who really believes that would happen :confused: And for the record, I think it's also out of line to include attacks on age. You can be as young as 13 to post on these boards, and I know for a fact we have posters in their 70s, so you really have no idea about someone's age... and unless I die at or before 50 (knock on wood) I am not middle-aged :cool:

I'm 37, soon to be 38 and would LOVE more Muppets in DHS... In fact, I think they should just make a section Muppet Studios, complete with the Great Muppet Movie Ride and Swedish Chef Cafe...

Anyway, I just want to point out that I am a member on many different Disney fan sites... I do so because 1) many other sites provide better insider information, 2) report Disney or theme park news faster, and 3) allow pictures in threads so members can actually SEE the progress being done on projects.. However, I read Intercot and post here more because the fan community is better and more mature... Intercot does not have the trolls popping up all over the place unlike other sites... Intercot does not have members who engage in flame wars just for kicks... On Intercot you can express your opinion and engage in civilized debate unlike other sites where you are shouted down and eventually run off... And on Intercot, if we want to, we can actually post negative comments on Disney without the thread being deleted or our accounts banned... Trust me, there are Disney back side kissing forums where you dare bring up how pathetic it is that WDW cannot fix the yeti after 6 years, and you'll be flamed, run off and eventually banned...

I give the mods and John here tons of credit for giving us plenty of rope to hang ourselves... :) And I also give them credit on their podcast where they are NOT afraid to mock something silly WDW is doing or even bring up how bad a decision is...

TheVBs
04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
SuperNinja, the point(s) you want to make seem very important to you. However, if you're unable to communicate them in a tactful, respectful (no name calling/gross generalizations) way, then you'll never get people to see your point of view. Communicating something in an adversarial way only polarizes the situation and makes it argumentative. That's doing a disservice to what you hope to accomplish. If you would like people to genuinely take your point of view into consideration, and maybe even change a couple of minds, then I would seriously consider taking a step or two back and re-evaluating how you're communicating things here.

Super Ninja
04-05-2012, 02:55 PM
They don't?? Disney doesn't read the fan forums??? Proof??? How about Disney shutting down a few of the smaller sites due to forum content??? How about Laughing Place being a ghost town since Disney laid the smack down on that site owner for people posting certain things about the inner workings of Disney, especially about the social media??? Disney MOST CERTAINLY DOES read internet fan forums... To believe otherwise is either 1) trolling for an argument or 2) hidden Disney social media agenda or 3) blindly following the pixie dust.... Which one are ya???

And ya, you are right, Disney pixie dust brigade, those who snort the pixie dust as a drug, the foaming at the mouth fanbois who think DISNEY IS PERFECT AND CAN DO NO WRONG drinks too much of the Disney social media kool aide....

And i don't need a wake up call... I have seen the slow demise with my own eyes...

Ohh and something else you need to understand, certain things are leaked by Disney on purpose to gauge fan reaction.... Jim Hill has been used, as has others, who have admitted to being used by Disney... Why??? To gauge fan reaction...

Do I find it believable that Disney shut down forums due to leaking information? Sure. That's common place for companies to go around trying to protect their intellectual property like that.

Do I think it's believable there are hidden spies on the forums that will see the thread with 10 replies about the missing dog in the Land, and then report it to the appropriate corporate entities, causing the thing to actually be fixed? Nope. And I think anyone who believes that is totally out of their mind.

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Do I find it believable that Disney shut down forums due to leaking information? Sure. That's common place for companies to go around trying to protect their intellectual property like that.

Do I think it's believable there are hidden spies on the forums that will see the thread with 10 replies about the missing dog in the Land, and then report it to the appropriate corporate entities, causing the thing to actually be fixed? Nope. And I think anyone who believes that is totally out of their mind.

Truth of the matter is Disney DOES read forums... Maybe Phil "I Can't Wait Until My Next Bonus Check So I can Buy Another Escalade At The Expense Of Unsuspecting Guests" Holmes or maybe Meg "I am completely over my head with running Disney theme parks to Disney standards" Crofton don't actually sit there reading the sites, but bet your bottom dollar people who work for them do... And they do it to gauge reaction from fans on EVERY topic whether it be the yeti not working (disgraceful they can't find a fix after 6 years, better yet, won't pony up the money for it) or having the FLE being too girly (and yes, the fan revolt DID lead Tom Staggs to can Jay Rasulo's mess of the expansion even though he won't come out and actually credit the fans)... Disney is well aware of what is said on forums, well aware of what the fans think and if the fans care... And in some cases, when the negative (TRUTH) comes out, people who never ost seem to come out of the woodwork to 1) start fights in hopes of getting threads shut down and 2) post utter nonsense to drown out the TRUTH... Yes, some of those people are sent out by Disney to shout down the truth tellers... Maybe not all, but some are... But go on believing Disney does no such thing..

Oh as for the IP issue, no that isn't why sites were shut down... Sites were shut down over forum content, ie BAD OR NEGATIVE (actually TRUTH) reports about the condition of WDW... You know like how if Jungle Cruise does not get its much need and 8 years over due refurb, well, a new swamp may actually pop up over in Adventureland and Jungle Cruise will become Jungle Walk Through since the "rivers" will be drained of water...

And if Disney was really so concerned over their IP, explain how Lou Mongello can offer $400 walking tours of the MK or any other WDW theme park... Isn't THAT stealing Disney IP since, you know, they offer their OWN tours???

Super Ninja
04-05-2012, 05:07 PM
And they do it to gauge reaction from fans on EVERY topic whether it be the yeti not working (disgraceful they can't find a fix after 6 years, better yet, won't pony up the money for it) or having the FLE being too girly (and yes, the fan revolt DID lead Tom Staggs to can Jay Rasulo's mess of the expansion even though he won't come out and actually credit the fans)...

Disney would be idiotic to take criticism from an incredibly small amount of extremely biased forum goers that seriously. I really think some of these forum goers have gassed their selves up so much they can't see how ridiculous some of these ideas are on their face value. I don't need to visit a forum for 10 years to come to that conclusion.

The FLE expansion was changed due to Universal Studios attracting more boys with Harry Potter. It's pretty obvious. Thinking bashing in a non-official forum thread with probably less than 50 people factored into an extremely major decision about a park that sees millions and millions is just utterly ludicrous. The online WDW fanbase also utterly hates Avatar land, and I absolutely grantee you that will factor absolute no where into it getting built or not getting built.

Again, my point, using existing established channels that are recognized through out the corporate world to get things fixed you don't like makes sense while arguing for the existence of complex forum conspiracy theories really doesn't. Some of these people don't use those channels I think because they're either lazy, don't actually care as much as they say they do, or care more about complaining to feed off a negative forum fandom ecosystem that is built around tearing things down. Just my opinion.

And in some cases, when the negative (TRUTH) comes out, people who never ost seem to come out of the woodwork to 1) start fights in hopes of getting threads shut down and 2) post utter nonsense to drown out the TRUTH... Yes, some of those people are sent out by Disney to shout down the truth tellers... Maybe not all, but some are... But go on believing Disney does no such thing..

This just seems like extreme paranoia.

Melanie
04-05-2012, 05:29 PM
The OP is a formerly banned (under several usernames) member. With that said, this thread is now closed and we're moving on! :mickey: