PDA

View Full Version : Are the new Fastpass rules in full effect?

mouseketeer mom
04-03-2012, 06:41 PM
If so, I don't know how to tour like the old pro I was!
Are they enforcing the fastpass window for sure now?

faline
04-03-2012, 06:49 PM
I haven't been back since the change but that's my understanding.

We LOVE Disney
04-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Wonder how it's going.

04-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Yes.

AJ Springfield
04-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Oh no!! What are the "new fastpass rules"?? We haven't been since June 2010. I don't follow the WDW blogs much unless I am planning a trip since they just make me miss it that much more.

Strmchsr
04-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Yes. Definitely. They are gently, but definitely, enforcing the rule now.

faline
04-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Oh no!! What are the "new fastpass rules"?? We haven't been since June 2010. I don't follow the WDW blogs much unless I am planning a trip since they just make me miss it that much more.

The new rules are that they are enforcing not only the start time of the fastpasss window but the end time. In the past, they would allow anyone with a fast pass to enter at any time after the start time of the fast pass. Now, they will only allow you to enter during the one hour window noted on your fast pass.

AJ Springfield
04-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Thank you for clarifying, faline. I always liked that little bit of flexibility in the fastpass return policy...but I am sure it was overused and abused. Thanks for the heads up!

floridamom
04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Just got back today, and yes, it is being enforced. We overheard one family being turned away for returning an hour after their window.

Allenfow98
04-04-2012, 07:40 AM
How strict are they being. I can see if its a matter of hours or even 30 minutes. But are they cutting it off exactly at end time. Is there any leeway for even 1 minute late? Just curious.
I am deffinately for the new strict following of the times i was just wondering if there is a couple minute grace period or zero tolerance.

Strmchsr
04-04-2012, 07:45 AM
How strict are they being. I can see if its a matter of hours or even 30 minutes. But are they cutting it off exactly at end time. Is there any leeway for even 1 minute late? Just curious.

The official policy is that you can enter 5 min before your posted time and up to 15 min late. So, yes, there's a little grace period, but not unlimited like it used to be.

jaredkari
04-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I actually think this is a good thing. Fastpass lines are at times just ridiculous! Like after parades you were better off to get in the stand-by line. I think by actually enforcing the end time that the fastpass lines will actually feel like fastpass lines. :mickey:

zipadeedoodah
04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
I actually think this is a good thing. Fastpass lines are at times just ridiculous! Like after parades you were better off to get in the stand-by line. I think by actually enforcing the end time that the fastpass lines will actually feel like fastpass lines. :mickey:

Agree 100% !:thumbsup:

Allenfow98
04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
The official policy is that you can enter 5 min before your posted time and up to 15 min late. So, yes, there's a little grace period, but not unlimited like it used to be.

Wow..i did not know about the 5 minutes before. Is that a new exception to the new enforcement of the rules. We ALWAYS had to wait until our window started, we never had a cast member that let us through early. Even when we were a couple of minutes early, we were always asked to step aside and wait.

Strmchsr
04-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Is that a new exception to the new enforcement of the rules.

Yes. The 5 min before/15 min after are new rules that were put into place with the whole change last month.

mariak
04-04-2012, 10:29 PM

I don't get it. We've NEVER had a problem with this. We've never waited more than 15-20 minutes in a fast pass line and I think that does feel like a fast pass line considering the regular lines are usually an hour or more wait. Now we may not even be able to ride some attactions because the FP return time could possibly be at the same time as dining reservations...then what if all fast passes are gone by the time you finish eating? I think this is horrible! I don't thinkthe old policy really had that much of an effect on fast pass lines but now, we'll probably have to stick to one park and counter service in order to utilize the Fast Pass system. I'm very disappointed! :(

WDWdriver
04-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I worked the FastPass return position at a major AK attraction today. Almost without exception guests were returning within their windows, and without complaint. I turned away only one group who were late beyond the 15 minute grace period. Another late group was allowed to use their FP because they had been delayed by a down time at another attraction. Our FP line was quite manageable all day with no unexpected surges.

IMHO the new rules are working just fine, and there are very few questions or complaints.

disneynarula
04-05-2012, 03:50 AM
IMHO the new rules are working just fine, and there are very few questions or complaints.

Thanks for the informed update!!!

Strmchsr
04-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks, Ron. That's great to hear, especially during this very busy week.

We LOVE Disney
04-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Another late group was allowed to use their FP because they had been delayed by a down time at another attraction.

If you are late due to this reason (ride being down, you get stuck on a ride or whatever), do you have to prove it? Or does the CM call the other ride to verify that, yes indeed, the ride was down for a period of time? I'm just curious as to how this all works.....

WDWdriver
04-05-2012, 10:24 AM
If you are late due to this reason (ride being down, you get stuck on a ride or whatever), do you have to prove it? Or does the CM call the other ride to verify that, yes indeed, the ride was down for a period of time? I'm just curious as to how this all works.....

In this case we already knew that Dinosaur had experienced a down time. But, yes, if there is any doubt we can call to verify an attraction down time or an unusual delayed seating at a restaurant.

In another case a family member arrived at the end of the FP window to tell us that the rest of the party was on the way, but was moving slowly due to an elderly person in the group. That was a smart thing to do, and they were all allowed in when they arrived late. The new rules are in place, but the CMs still have a lot of discretion as to when they are enforced.

WDWdriver
04-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm bumping this up to confirm that the new FastPass return rules are in effect and are being enforced. You MUST return within your FP window plus a 15 minute grace period. Only a few exceptions are possible, and reasons for late returns can be verified by the CMs.

Mrs Bus Driver
04-08-2012, 09:21 AM
In this case we already knew that Dinosaur had experienced a down time. But, yes, if there is any doubt we can call to verify an attraction down time or an unusual delayed seating at a restaurant.

In another case a family member arrived at the end of the FP window to tell us that the rest of the party was on the way, but was moving slowly due to an elderly person in the group. That was a smart thing to do, and they were all allowed in when they arrived late. The new rules are in place, but the CMs still have a lot of discretion as to when they are enforced.

Just want to add 3 things.
1. Disney has the right to enforce their own rules, as long as we all play by the same rules I am all for it. :number1:
2. I read the above post and thought how cool:D. I don't mind Disney bending the rules for something like the elderly family member (Please I don't want to hear about possible abuse, usually it's not as bad as people think:thedolls:).
3. Remember folks when you are at Disney you are on vacation, don't stress about what the other guy is doing. Just focus on you and yours and enjoy your vacation. :mickey:

AuntLaura
04-08-2012, 09:36 PM
We were at WDW March 30 - April 6 and found the fast pass rules seem to be having a positive effect. The fast passes no longer "sell out" quickly in the AM. We noticed this for TSM at Studios. One day at MK, we found that you could get a FP at Buzz for one hour later. I wonder if people are using the fast passes more judiciously, rather than grabbing them assuming they can use them anytime. I think the change is positive.

Melanie
04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Ron, thanks so much for taking the time to fill us in on how things are working. I'm glad to hear all the positive!

MrPeetrie
04-09-2012, 03:53 PM
We were at WDW March 30 - April 6 and found the fast pass rules seem to be having a positive effect. The fast passes no longer "sell out" quickly in the AM. We noticed this for TSM at Studios. One day at MK, we found that you could get a FP at Buzz for one hour later. I wonder if people are using the fast passes more judiciously, rather than grabbing them assuming they can use them anytime. I think the change is positive.

This has me very encouraged for our upcoming vacation. Hats off again to the CMs handling the change-over!

ThanxForNoticin
04-09-2012, 05:41 PM

You know, I thought the same thing. I hope that if folks are more aware of the fact they might not be able to get back to an attraction at the proper fastpass time now, that they might skip grabbing those extra fastpasses - which could make the overall fastpass system more effective.

Aurora
04-10-2012, 10:43 AM

You know, I thought the same thing. I hope that if folks are more aware of the fact they might not be able to get back to an attraction at the proper fastpass time now, that they might skip grabbing those extra fastpasses - which could make the overall fastpass system more effective.

I'm no expert, but I don't see how the new FP rules would have that great of an effect on when the FPs run out at popular attractions, since you never could just go from one place to another and grab FPs. You always had to wait at least two hours or the start of that FP time before getting another.

Or are people who used to save them for later just foregoing the FPs altogether?

ThanxForNoticin
04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm no expert, but I don't see how the new FP rules would have that great of an effect on when the FPs run out at popular attractions, since you never could just go from one place to another and grab FPs. You always had to wait at least two hours or the start of that FP time before getting another.

Or are people who used to save them for later just foregoing the FPs altogether?

And you might be right!! It's probably really, really overthinking it. But if folks who used to "collect" FPs early in the day (without any regard for the return window) now have to be aware of valid return times, it's likely to affect their decision to take some FPs. And to get even deeper into "overthinking it", folks who grab a FP in the morning will now be more likely to be taking time enjoying that attraction during the morning hours instead of running off for other FPs for use later.

I wonder if the Disney Institute could create a 3-day course on the science of the Fast Pass!!

In so many ways, this creates a conversation that's rather silly. In my opinion, FP is a great option to help with some planning during the day. I'm personally glad they are enforcing the return times - it's just something we've always done anyway. But is it going to be a huge change for us? Not at all. And for folks who say they'll need to completely change their planning and might miss some attractions now that they are enforcing the FP return times? I would just say the stand-by line is always an option. It's how most of the guests enjoy most of the attractions.

brownie
04-10-2012, 04:22 PM

I overheard cast members at Soarin' telling guests that they were giving people a 15 minute grace period beyond the end time on the Fastpass.

It seemed to me that there were a lot of groups of people trying to use their Fastpasses prior to the start time. I had to wait several times when I was there March 31-April 1 for cast members to explain the Fastpasses to people and tell them to come back during their assigned times.

BigRedDad
04-16-2012, 08:15 AM
I agree with the rule. WDW needs to start enforcing rules altogether. Now, people can plan far more efficiently. You know before getting the FP when it is due. If you cannot plan to make it there in time, then don't get them.

The best FP policy I have experienced is US. Unfortunately, WDW is far too big to enable that front of line access. Maybe WDW can start to do something similar based on the resort you are booked in: Values get front of line access to X; Moderate X and Y; Deluxe X, Y, and Z.

MNNHFLTX
04-16-2012, 10:07 AM
The best FP policy I have experienced is US. Unfortunately, WDW is far too big to enable that front of line access. Maybe WDW can start to do something similar based on the resort you are booked in: Values get front of line access to X; Moderate X and Y; Deluxe X, Y, and Z.Whoa, let's not go there.

Back to the topic at hand--I am glad to hear that people seem to be dealing with the changes in a positive manner. I wondered if some would give CM's a rough time, but it sounds like that isn't happening.

Aurora
04-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Whoa, let's not go there.

:) :thumbsup: :eek:

WDWdriver
04-16-2012, 02:42 PM
--I am glad to hear that people seem to be dealing with the changes in a positive manner. I wondered if some would give CM's a rough time, but it sounds like that isn't happening.

It does happen sometimes, Beth. One of our young college program gals was yelled at for several minutes by a woman who was four hours late and shouted that she had been coming to WDW for years and had always collected FPs to use later in the day. She then demanded an exception because she was a frequent guest. Our young CM stuck to her guns and told me later "right, I'm going to make an exception for her after she ranted at me?" The woman stormed off with her embarrassed husband in tow. LOL

MNNHFLTX
04-16-2012, 03:54 PM
It does happen sometimes, Beth. One of our young college program gals was yelled at for several minutes by a woman who was four hours late and shouted that she had been coming to WDW for years and had always collected FPs to use later in the day. She then demanded an exception because she was a frequent guest. Our young CM stuck to her guns and told me later "right, I'm going to make an exception for her after she ranted at me?" The woman stormed off with her embarrassed husband in tow. LOLGood for her for sticking to her guns. People shouldn't be rude like that. :shake:

Aurora
04-16-2012, 05:12 PM
She then demanded an exception because she was a frequent guest. Our young CM stuck to her guns and told me later "right, I'm going to make an exception for her after she ranted at me?"

Good for her for sticking to her guns. People shouldn't be rude like that. :shake:

Boy, if I were a CM and someone said that to me, it would be REALLY hard for me not to laugh in their face. :crazy: