PDA

View Full Version : Just been made redundant after 22 years

Zawadi
04-03-2012, 01:38 PM
After starting this job back in 1990, I was told 4 hours ago that I'm being made redundant and will be out by the end of April.

Oh well time to make the initial step on the next path of discovery. Wish me luck!

Ian
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. Having gone through this more than once myself, I can definitely sympathize.

I will say, however, that (as pollyana as it sounds) it really is true that every cloud has a silver lining. Every single time I've been "moved on" from a job, I've always ended up in a better place and most often sooner rather than later.

For example, back in November I was let go from my old agency. I literally got a job offer the next day at a bigger agency, for more money, closer to home, with a better team around me. A few months later and I'm happy as a clam not to be at my old place.

I'm sure the same thing will happen to you. It can be scary, but look at it as an opportunity and not as a bad thing. :thumbsup:

faline
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Good luck with your job search!

badkitty
04-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Oh no! That is just awful. I'm so sorry. :( Here is some pixie dust to hopefully cheer you. :tink:
22 years is a long time to dedicate to a company and then get laid-off. :fit:
Good luck on your next adventure. :surf: I hope you have an easy time getting started on your new path.

TinkerbellT421
04-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Wow, that is awful, and especially an awful way to tell someone you are laying them off. :(

I agree with Ian, may seem like a bummer now, which it is, but once you find a new job somewhere else you will see what a good thing it was.

I always say, things happen for a reason.

Good luck with the new job search! :thumbsup:

Lizzy
04-03-2012, 02:25 PM
That must be heartbreaking after so many years. But keep your chin up and I hope that something bigger and better comes along right away!

btharvey
04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Having been there, number one to remember is to not take it personally. Number two, is to set up or open up those job accounts on the job boards. Number three is to get the recommendations from existing management. Number four is to take at least two days off. You deserve it.

When you get the next job, put off the start date (if you can afford it) at least one week ... two if you can. Enjoy the vacation when you have a job again!

Finally, you are, too, worth it! It's their loss, and they're too cheap, too stubborn, or too misguided to know this. But it happens.

"No one ever went broke by overestimating human stupidity. Somebody, somewhere will rise up and claim the privilege."

Wolf
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Good luck in the next adventures heading your way!! Crossing my fingers for a easy transition onto a better path! :number1:

laprana
04-03-2012, 02:41 PM
That's terrible news, but like others have said, hopefully it will lead you to something bigger and better! Sending lots of :pixie::pixie: to you as you start your job search. I whole-heartedly believe that when one door closes, another one opens and it will lead you to better things. Best of luck with everything! :hug:

vicster
04-03-2012, 03:46 PM
After starting this job back in 1990, I was told 4 hours ago that I'm being made redundant and will be out by the end of April.

Oh well time to make the initial step on the next path of discovery. Wish me luck!

Gotta love the loyalty...

MNNHFLTX
04-03-2012, 05:53 PM
I can imagine what a shock this was after so many years on the job. :(

Best of luck in your job search, and a fresh new start!

Ian
04-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Having been there, number one to remember is to not take it personally. Number two, is to set up or open up those job accounts on the job boards. Number three is to get the recommendations from existing management. Number four is to take at least two days off. You deserve it.Good advice, although I would say number two is network, network, network.

99.9% of getting a job is about who you know not what you know. I haven't gotten a job in the last decade without knowing someone on the inside. Set up lunches, dinners, breakfasts, tea and crumpets ... whatever invite they'll accept, but get out there and work the phones!

TheVBs
04-03-2012, 07:09 PM
How awful. I'm really sorry! :( I hope something wonderful comes your way soon!

BrerGnat
04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Bummer. Good luck finding something else soon! I agree about the "blessing in disguise" thing. Hope it ends up this way for you too.

BriarRose0708
04-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Good advice, although I would say number two is network, network, network.

99.9% of getting a job is about who you know not what you know. I haven't gotten a job in the last decade without knowing someone on the inside. Set up lunches, dinners, breakfasts, tea and crumpets ... whatever invite they'll accept, but get out there and work the phones!

I am sorry this happened to you. In my "real life" job I am a Career Counselor and can't agree with Ian more! No matter what industry you are in, networking is how people get jobs. These days it's a combination of what you know (academic knowledge), what you know how to do (practical experiences an skills), and who you know (networking!).

If you'd like, I can send you a PM with some links to job search and networking resources I use all the time.

Best of luck! If you are persistent it will pay off!:mickey:

DVC2004
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
So sorry to hear this! Good luck and best wishes.

Jeff
04-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Good luck!

Zawadi
04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Thank you for all of your kind comments.

However, I have news for you...

Today my redundancy has been confirmed for May 07 with a very nice pay off. However, yesterday I got a job offer (after a 4.5 hour interview) to start on May 14.

Things have certainly worked out well for me :D

NewDVCowner
04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
That's wonderful news! Congratulations!

mickeys_princess_mom
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Today my redundancy has been confirmed for May 07 with a very nice pay off. However, yesterday I got a job offer (after a 4.5 hour interview) to start on May 14.

:high5: :mickey:

Ed
04-24-2012, 10:38 PM

WONDERFUL !! Obviously, you made a very good impression on your new employer.

And.... you get a week off between jobs to kick back and relax! :vacation:

:wishes:

pianobabe
04-24-2012, 11:37 PM
That sounds great CONGRATULATIONS!!:number1:

The medical center my mother-in-law has been with is going through a "restructuring". After working with them for 42 years, she was called into the administrative offices on Wednesday and told she was out of a job. She is in shock. She was planning on retiring in February, but instead she had to have her office cleaned out by Friday.

laprana
04-25-2012, 09:31 AM

That's great news! :congrats: Best of luck in your new job!! :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
04-25-2012, 11:50 AM
That is great news! See sometimes when one door closes another opens (sorry to sound so cliche!) :)

LVT
05-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Wow, you work fast. Great news.

badkitty
05-05-2012, 12:20 PM

Awesome! Congratulations. A nice payoff and a job right away! You deserve it! :woohoo: