PDA

View Full Version : Problems at Expedition Everest?

MickeysBestPal
04-01-2012, 02:58 PM
The much-discussed "Yeti" at Expedition Everest has been a "mechanical problem" since the soft-opening and AP/DVC previews in late January '06.

So much so that Disney Imagineering has decided to "pull the plug" on this "abomination of an Abominable Snowman" and remove "him" from the ride (at least for the foreseeable future).

"Tech" Headman, the maintenance crew supervisor of EE said he's sorry to see the Yeti go, but it will make for smoother operation of a ride that has already seen a precipitous drop in ridership since it first went "on-line" for previews.

"We're not trying to go backwards here", said Headman, "but the Yeti created a destructive atmosphere."

Many riders who first were lifted by the idea of the Yeti, change their position after a pause for reflection.

We have been both ways on this thing.
The Yeti, as he was constructed, is only a shadow of what we thought he could be, it just when downhill from there in a big way.

We thought the Yeti might just mean the end to the whole EE attaction if we continued in that way.

We want guests to enjoy best attraction experience.

After the dropping of the Yeti, we hope more people will scat back to the queues again.

(Reported by Uno DeAbril)

Main Street Jim
04-01-2012, 03:06 PM
So, the way I'm reading this, is that they plan on completely removing the Yeti from the attraction? Hmmm. This should be interesting, as it's built on a completely separate structure from the ride track and the main show building (there's three totally separate structures). Wonder how they plan on accomplishing this.

eam
04-01-2012, 03:38 PM
The much-discussed "Yeti" at Expedition Everest has been a "mechanical problem" since the soft-opening and AP/DVC previews in late January '06.

So much so that Disney Imagineering has decided to "pull the plug" on this "abomination of an Abominable Snowman" and remove "him" from the ride (at least for the foreseeable future).

"Tech" Headman, the maintenance crew supervisor of EE said he's sorry to see the Yeti go, but it will make for smoother operation of a ride that has already seen a precipitous drop in ridership since it first went "on-line" for previews.

"We're not trying to go backwards here", said Headman, "but the Yeti created a destructive atmosphere."

Many riders who first were lifted by the idea of the Yeti, change their position after a pause for reflection.

We have been both ways on this thing.
The Yeti, as he was constructed, is only a shadow of what we thought he could be, it just when downhill from there in a big way.

We thought the Yeti might just mean the end to the whole EE attaction if we continued in that way.

We want guests to enjoy best attraction experience.

After the dropping of the Yeti, we hope more people will scat back to the queues again.

Should this be upside down?

Melanie
04-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Should this be upside down?

YES!

Be mindful of the day folks. Totally got Main Street Jim!

fielin
04-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Uno de Abril, or First of April in Spanish, he.. Wonder what this might hint at. :secret:

DisneyorBust
04-01-2012, 04:13 PM
That was my first thought too, Happy April Fools! :D

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-01-2012, 06:06 PM
This one got me for a minute too ... I was trying to think the whole thing through, how it would work ... geesh, I need more sleep. :blush:

Main Street Jim
04-01-2012, 06:23 PM
*DUH*

:confused::confused:

That was just...:thedolls::thedolls:...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

:blush::blush::blush:

I can take it :)

BrowncatP
04-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I can't believe they got you Main Street JIm. I almost fell for it.

jbernardis
04-01-2012, 08:20 PM
The irony to me is that in the many times I've been on the ride I've never noticed the yeti. I've looked - just never found it. I'm sure it was right in front on my face.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-01-2012, 08:36 PM
The irony to me is that in the many times I've been on the ride I've never noticed the yeti. I've looked - just never found it. I'm sure it was right in front on my face.

You have to look up when the track "ends". It's more like a shadow type figure. That's if I'm remembering it correctly.

And that was a good joke!

Main Street Jim
04-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Well, two places you can "find" the Yeti:

One is after flying backwards and the train stops, as the track in front of you is flipping over to change back to forward motion. You'll see the silhouette of the Yeti tearing up some track.

The second time is just before you drop out of the mountain. We nicknamed him "Disco Yeti", because currently (I think) it's just fast-flashing lighting (like a disco - if you don't know what a "disco" is, don't ask...LOL...it was a bad decade :) ).

When the attraction first opened, he used to "reach down and grab" at your train as you passed by at 55 mph. Just one hand is about as big as one of the train cars. This thing weighs like 3,000 pounds, and stands on his own pedestal inside the attraction, completely separate from the show building itself, and the ride track.

ImagiAsh
04-01-2012, 10:01 PM
:laughing:

disneynarula
04-02-2012, 08:12 AM
The not so funny thing is how believable this statement is.

Good one! You got me!

PopPhan
04-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Had me going until the third paragraph....

1) The Yeti is a separate entity from the rest of the ride, so it should have no effect on the operation of the ride, and...

2) "A precipitous drop in ridership"....Uh, have you seen any such thing since the ride opened? Yes, some of the novelty has worn off, but it is still a heavily visited ride.

BTW - I had actually forgotten that yesterday was April Fool's Day until I read this!!!!

mommy2maddi
04-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Okay, I was completely fooled!!! I could not for the life of me figure out how they would get rid of the main concept behind the ride...or WHY!!! We love EE-it's one of our favorite rides in WDW. Glad it was a joke, even if the joke was on me!! :mickey:

MickeysBestPal
04-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Had me going until the third paragraph....

1) The Yeti is a separate entity from the rest of the ride, so it should have no effect on the operation of the ride, and...

2) "A precipitous drop in ridership"....Uh, have you seen any such thing since the ride opened? Yes, some of the novelty has worn off, but it is still a heavily visited ride.

BTW - I had actually forgotten that yesterday was April Fool's Day until I read this!!!!

1) The ride would be smoother without the Yeti "ripping out the tracks."

2) Every guest experiences a precipitous drop (more than one) during the ride.

Nearly every statement in the "article" is a double entendre about some aspect of the ride.

;)

WDW-Geek
04-02-2012, 10:38 AM
:badpc: :funny:

#1donaldfan
04-02-2012, 12:06 PM
It is funny that this was a relatively believable story, even though most facts stated seemed impossible....good one !!:mickey:

mom2morgan
04-02-2012, 01:22 PM
1) The ride would be smoother without the Yeti "ripping out the tracks."

2) Every guest experiences a precipitous drop (more than one) during the ride.

Nearly every statement in the "article" is a double entendre about some aspect of the ride.

;)

Very clever!!

Wolf
04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Got me too, I was already distressing on how to break the news about Moma Wolf's favorite ride to her lol Good one!

Super Ninja
04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I knew it was an April's Fools joke immediately. Only the Disney forum goers could be this unbelievably negative to think something like that would happen.