PDA

View Full Version : My Dining Plans....what do you think?

WDWRox
03-31-2012, 08:18 AM
There's just something so exciting about each step of the process of planning a WDW trip. I've already got our hotel/tickets, etc.... booked for our trip at the end of September. Just a few minutes ago I finished making our table service dining reservations. Aside from a few of our must-eat spots (Coral Reef dinner, Crystal Palace breakfast), the other 5 places are pretty new for us and I'd like some opinions on these places:

Rainforest Cafe (AK -lunch)
Sci-Fi Diner Theater (DHS - lunch)
Tony's Townsquare Restaurant (MK - dinner)
T Rex - (DTD - lunch)
Nine Dragons - (EC - dinner)

tinksmom02
03-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Congrats on your ADRs! I agree with you--I think that half of the reason I plan so many trips is because I love the planning stage!!

We did lunch at TRex when it opened and remembered liking it, it was a little bit better the Rainforest Cafe, but there were similarities. I don't know that I'd want to do both in one trip, but if you don't have an RFC near you and have kids traveling with you, they'll probably enjoy it.

Did Sci-Fi years ago, food was meh but the atmosphere is fun. We're trying it again for lunch in August.

MOJoe
03-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Two of your choices, Sci-Fi and Tony's, often get poor reviews for food quality. However, i find Sci-Fi to be one of the most unique restaurants anywhere. The experience is one of a kind, and if you know in advance that you should stick to basic menu items like burgers and sandwiches, you may find this is a must-eat spot too.
Tony's is similar. The setting is nice, and you will be reminded that this is a replica of the restaurant in "Lady and the Tramp". So the coolness factor is there, even though the food is not always top notch. If you expect Disney Italian and not real Italian, then you should be fine.

Don't get me wrong. These are two places i would not hesitate to return too. And i think every Disney fan should try, just for the experience. If the food is great, fine. If not so great, then you can check that place off your list if you so desire.

WDWRox
03-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys. I wanted to try Tony's because we never cared for the Italian food in Epcot and hated Mama Melrose at the Studios. I've watched online clips of T Rex and hope it's not too loud in thereto eat comfortably. I normally have Ohana down during our vacation but not this time.....and that's ok. Animal Kingdom could use another table service restaurant.

Briansmom
03-31-2012, 11:22 AM
We have only been to Tony's on your list. Just as a heads up on the lasagna....if you like lasagna with a good amount of sauce, ask for some extra on the side. Our server suggested this for us as she said it was a little dry without it. I was glad she told me. The atmosphere was nice and they got the entire restaurant to sing Happy Birthday to our DS so that was cool.

sherriepaul
03-31-2012, 02:17 PM
We went to tony's and Sci Fi for our trip last year. First I would not pay my worst enemy to eat at Sci-Fi. The service is beyond horrible, food okay. Tony's was okay, busy and a lot of people crammed into a small space. I would also recommend the Plaza. We went for Lunch, and we had great service, good food, and awesome desserts!!!!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Sci-Fi - it is a restaurant that people here on Intercot either love to return to or will never step foot again in ~ very little middle ground on this one. They have a pretty good hamburger, the shakes are delicious and the atmosphere is great - and I've been there 3 different times and NEVER had bad service even when we went with a group of 14.

Unless I was traveling with children, I would not go to Rainforest AND T-Rex in the same trip, but that's me. And I personally avoid both as they are chains that I can find in other locations.

As for the others, I defer to other intercotees as I've not been to Tony's or Nine Dragons.

LandFan
04-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Sci-Fi has a pretty good reuben too! It's fine for burgers/reubens and shakes. I would not go for "dinner" type fare. It is really neat inside - I would definitely try it - it's fun!

Tony's - not so much :sick: It is sooo cute inside - I just wish they would make the food better! It has sooo much potential!

AmandaChan
04-01-2012, 09:49 AM
There's just something so exciting about each step of the process of planning a WDW trip. I've already got our hotel/tickets, etc.... booked for our trip at the end of September. Just a few minutes ago I finished making our table service dining reservations. Aside from a few of our must-eat spots (Coral Reef dinner, Crystal Palace breakfast), the other 5 places are pretty new for us and I'd like some opinions on these places:

Rainforest Cafe (AK -lunch)
Sci-Fi Diner Theater (DHS - lunch)
Tony's Townsquare Restaurant (MK - dinner)
T Rex - (DTD - lunch)
Nine Dragons - (EC - dinner)

The only thing I can tell you is do not get the ribs at Sci Fi.

mommy2maddi
04-02-2012, 10:11 AM
I know that Tony's in MK gets mediocre reviews but it's one of our favorites! We had the eggplant parmigiana and it was the best ever!! The tiramisu for dessert is to die for!! I read about it in a WDW planning book that said it is underlooked so we tried it and are glad we did!!! :mickey:

amorillo
04-02-2012, 10:21 AM
We did rainforest cafe years ago... the food was good... but i'm another one of those... "why eat there with so many amazing choices at WDW?" :blush: (and yes, i agree AK really needs a few more TS choices)

Sci-Fi, we really enjoy. We've been there several times and will go back in the future... atmosphere alone, it's worth a try.. i love the chili!

We tried Nine Dragons on our last trip. And all of my four picky children enjoyed the meal!

I can't comment on the other two restaurants, we have yet to check them out... although we will be checking out Tony's on our upcoming trip!