PDA

View Full Version : Dining without reservations?

RedSoxandPatsfan
03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
What are the chances of getting into restaurant without a reservation?

My BiL now wants to do Teppan Edo on 4/20. There only opening was at 8:55 for a party of 7. If we just wnet the day of 4/20 would there be any chance of getting seated as a walk up. We undestand there would be some sort of wait involved, but even when we have resis we always end up waiting 30 to 45 minutes for a table to open up.

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-30-2012, 04:23 PM
If you have a party of 7, I would strongly recommend reservations.

Strmchsr
03-30-2012, 05:13 PM
:ditto: If you can't get an ADR, the chances of a walk-up with a party of 7 are extremely slim. Doesn't hurt to try, but don't count on it.

buzznwoodysmom
03-30-2012, 05:35 PM
With a party of 7 your chances are pretty slim. If your group doesn't mind being split up it might work out. The tables seat something like 9 or 10 people. If there are spaces here and there they may be able to split you guys up. Not sure how enjoyable that would be.

You could also try arriving right before it opens. They may be able to squeeze you guys in at opening, but I personally wouldn't count on it with a party as large as 7.

Good luck!

greengeen
03-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Why set yourself up for disappointment and frustration? Make a reservation someplace that DOES have an opening.

Dopey's Girl
04-01-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't think that it is very likely at you could walk up with a party that large. If you don't get an ADR, I think walking up, even when they first open is going to happen. I traveled with a similar size group a few years back, and we were told walking up with a party greater than 4 wasn't likely.

DANAM
04-02-2012, 06:07 PM
We went with family on our first trip (with the kids) and we were a party of 8. I had difficulty getting tables at a certain times. So the very sweet person who answered the phone suggested splitting the tables up and getting the same times. I had no problems getting 2 tables of 4 AND of the 6 reservations we made only 1 of them did we not sit at the same table. And that one time we were right next to each other just not pushed together. Teppan Edo we waited about 20 minutes and we were seated at the same habachi grill. Just ask normally they are very good about seating you together. Just make sure to mention it to the host. Dont assume they know. Even if it is noted on the reservation.

Horror story we went to DTD with our party of 8 and no reservations. We got on the list at every restuarant in DTD and split up and waited for a table. After 2 and a half hours our name came up at the Italian place (sorry can't think of the name) It was horrible. It was after 9pm and we had 3 kids under 4 with us. Please take what you can get the alternative is not good. Believe me I will NEVER do that again.

Just for reference this was the first week of May.

SBETigg
04-02-2012, 08:27 PM
The third week of April is vacation week for a lot of Northeastern schools, making it a potentially busy time in the parks and in restaurants. Teppan Edo isn't a likely candidate for success with walk-ups. Tokyo Dining might have availability, though, and you can get some of the same food (just not cooked in front of you).