PDA

View Full Version : Refining Basket Search--8 and 10 year oldgirls?

mickeys_princess_mom
03-30-2012, 03:59 PM
OK, someone just added a 10 year old girl to the list of Easter baskets they've hired me to put together.....So the 8 and 10 year olds are a little challenge. I taught older ones, and I can relate to the little ladies, but I'm not sure what this age is into. I don't want to get them things that are too babyish, but I am not sure what they would like...Help, please? I would guess neither would care for stuffed animals--probably too old for Barbies, too?

TheVBs
03-30-2012, 04:24 PM
I would say it depends on the child. Lots that age still enjoy playing with Barbies. Monster High dolls are a big thing with girls that are in that age range I think. Or, you could do a basket with things like scented lip balm, nail polish, sparkly barrettes, funky socks, bubble gum and some fun jewelry that's not play jewelry, but not serious jewelry.

mickeys_princess_mom
03-30-2012, 05:01 PM
I would say it depends on the child. Lots that age still enjoy playing with Barbies. Monster High dolls are a big thing with girls that are in that age range I think. Or, you could do a basket with things like scented lip balm, nail polish, sparkly barrettes, funky socks, bubble gum and some fun jewelry that's not play jewelry, but not serious jewelry.

That sounds like it would be about right. It's hard because I haven't ever seen these children, and don't have anything to go on.
:thanks:

NewDVCowner
03-30-2012, 05:02 PM
I'd second the suggestion of makeup type items.

mickeys_princess_mom
03-30-2012, 08:11 PM
I'd second the suggestion of makeup type items.

:thanks: Yep, taking this one. :wave:

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
04-02-2012, 09:55 AM
My daughter turned 11 last month. She absolutely loves gel pens in every different color. And she likes to make her own note cards so she has packs of card stock. She also loves nail polish. More pens and nail polish will find their way into her Easter basket!

sherriepaul
04-02-2012, 10:35 AM
The above ideas are great and I would suggest also if they are in to crafts, either go get a simple sewing project, bead craft, or little scrapbook project. Stores like Joann fabrics have things or Michael's (but that's up in my neck of the woods, not sure what is available by you!)

cer
04-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Also hair things. My daughter would love bows, headbands, brush, mirror.

cer
04-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I also agree with socks and the mismatched ones are very popular around here.

Janmac
04-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I second the gel pens and paper products - Target has the small pocket notepads in the dollar section.

Ten and eleven year olds are so in between. They'll play Barbies with younger kids just fine but then want the make-up, etc. So I 3rd or 4th or whatever the make-up, especially for nails. Maybe little bling things to stick on their nails?

Any little plush animals with clips - like to clip onto backpacks. That would be good. Also anything of the sort that you keep one and share the other with a friend.

Another idea that is big with all kids (including DH :D ) is a small flashlight. And a pocket magnifying glass. My niece just said cheap binoculars. Kids like gadgets. My niece at ten (she's 32 now) liked compasses and any kind of survival kind of stuff. Whistle, etc.

Jan

mickeys_princess_mom
04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
These are great ideas! Thank you all so much! I appreciate the young ladies who chimed in with their thoughts, too! :wave: I actually make hairbows so they're all getting some of those in their baskets.
:thanks: bunches!