PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Camera Users

ChipDale2708
03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Last fall I bought a Sony A55 DSLR camera. :photo: May will be my first trip to Disney World using this type of camera. Just wondering from other users what lens you use most for a typical Disney day? I have the 18-55mm and 55-200mm that came with my package, but I am considering purchasing the 75-300mm possibly before the trip thanks to the IRS. This is my first real outing with the camera and I have A LOT to learn about it. :blush: WDW is a great place to have fun and experiment with photography. Any other tips anyone might have will be more than appreciated.

Strmchsr
03-30-2012, 12:15 PM
The two lenses you have will probably do just fine for about any shot you want to make at Disney. If you really enjoy photography I would suggest maybe a wide-angle or a fish-eye for some fun/special shots. Also, I HIGHLY recommend the Nik Software Complete Collection (or at the least Color Efex Pro and Viveza) as that can create some beautiful shots through post production. I'm able to use that package to take some very nice shots and turn them into really magical shots.

c&d
03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
I take both my lenses when we go to Disney. The 200mm and my huge hacking one that goes to 500mm. I prefer my 500mm because I can zoom really well but it's really heavy and so some days I choose the smaller one. For me personally, I hate to carry a camera bag so I just go with the 1 lens.

I also download my pictures to my laptop every night. I have a Canon EOS and I always take the spare battery with me and I have a large memory card in the camera.

John
03-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Pretty much anywhere I go, my Tamron 18-270 has replaced me carrying anything else. It's compact, it covers so many different uses and it shoots great.

Used to take 3 or more with me - don't need to do that anymore :)

azcavalier
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Pretty much anywhere I go, my Tamron 18-270 has replaced me carrying anything else. It's compact, it covers so many different uses and it shoots great.

Used to take 3 or more with me - don't need to do that anymore :)

Agreed. I have an 18-200 Tamron that I love because of the range it covers. I own a 50-120mm lens that is actually a better lens, but you really need something wider than 50mm.

minnie04
03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I have the Nikon D80. I used to take it to Disney all the time, but now that the kids are older I only take it once in a while. I used to take the 18-55 lens with the sun protector to cover the lens from glare. I would take extra sd cards, but really only needed one. I once took over 700 pictures and it was fine. I would bring the 70-300 lens when I wanted to take really far pic's, but man I hated having to change it in the middle of the park. You should be fine with the smaller lens for all the pictures you want to take. I do recommend getting a water proof case they have them on line and they aren't that expensive. This way you can enjoy the rides or if it rains. I would just carry my money, room key, cell phone and maybe a compac (freshen up the makeup)..lol..:mickey:

ChipDale2708
03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Minnie04 - That was my exact thinking; I don't want to be changing lenses in the middle of the park. Since I'm not very experienced with the camera I could just picture a lense crash in the middle of EPCOT! I have two 4 or 8 GB cards and an extra battery so I should be all set w/ that. I'm not traveling w/ a laptop, but have never had an issue in the past. My camera sling bag came with a snazzy rain coat built into it - all set for Splash Mtn! The sun protector is a good suggestion, hadn't thought about that.

A fish-eye would be fun as I have seen photos on line that I love.

Keep the tips coming!!:)

Altair
03-30-2012, 08:25 PM
For dark rides you may want to look into a short fixed lens, such as the 35mm 1.8 or a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4. The faster 1.4 will be alot more expensive though.

Don't forget your cameras "crop factor". For the Sony A55 it is 1.5, which means your 18-55mm lens is really a 27-82mm and your 55-200 is really a 82-300mm lens. :photo: