PDA

View Full Version : How much has cast members rules changed

Peterpanflight
03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
I was a cast member back in 1998. Back then they were very strict as far as your appearance goes. I go to Disney 2x a year and am a DVC member and have noticed changes that back when I worked there certain things were not allowed. Just curious how much things have changed since then.

Epcyclopedia
03-29-2012, 08:21 PM
A ridiculous lot!

I was after you even in the first half of the 00's and I find myself going "D'oh!" over what's acceptable now.

Things that would be terminable or reprimand-able offenses in the past are not even considered punishable at all anymore. Things have seemingly gone very laxed in many areas.

One thing I often refer to that is at Epcot in the early 00's referring to Spaceship Earth as a "golfball" to a guest was a show quality offense that could get you written up. They told you this in training so you couldn't act surprised if it happened.

Now the Walt Disney World website says it and no one cares.

Also, people used to get in trouble all the time for mirrored sunglasses. Now I see them everywhere in the parks. Also, highlighting and unnatural hair colors - particularly on men. Women were allowed to get away with subtle highlights, but if you had chunks you were pushing it in my day and got a talking to.

Now I run into management types with frosted tips. Constantly it seems. Sometimes I feel like they all went to a NSync convention and never grew out of the phase.

Also - management CM's texting in the parks on their cellphones/pdas. Can't say with certainty if those are park issued or not, but I have my suspicions.

Peterpanflight
03-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Yes!!! Also nail polish color, one ring per hand, facial hair...maybe that is why I hated working there back then LOL

Epcyclopedia
03-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Yeah, and if you mention it to current CMs they act like you're crazy.. like your parents who had to walk backwards uphill in the snow to go to school.

I just respond to their current work condition complaints like "Ha! You have a StandeE Mat!! We had fallen arches and stone bruises and we liked them!"

Air vents and lightweight "breathable" fabrics? Kids today, spoiled. Your fellow CM would pass out from standing in one spot in the sun and you'd drag them off stage - across the hot concrete - no fancy StandeE mat! And you'd not call for someone to help you drag them off stage from your NexTel either - noooo, you'd have to get to a park phone, and hope there's a water fountain nearby.

Peterpanflight
03-29-2012, 09:01 PM
I worked at AK in the boneyard. Had to wear knee length jean shorts with work boots...talk about HOT!!!!!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-29-2012, 09:22 PM
You do know that some of the changes - StandE Mat, Breathable Fabric uniforms - those are changes for safety's sake.....not safe to have fallen arches, stone bruises, and CM's that pass out from the heat.

As for the hair color, rings on fingers and other body parts, and highlighted hair - that's a sign of the times. (Not necessarily a good one, but a sign none the less.)

kakn7294
03-30-2012, 01:06 AM
You do know that some of the changes - StandE Mat, Breathable Fabric uniforms - those are changes for safety's sake.....not safe to have fallen arches, stone bruises, and CM's that pass out from the heat.

As for the hair color, rings on fingers and other body parts, and highlighted hair - that's a sign of the times. (Not necessarily a good one, but a sign none the less.)

I have to agree with this. I'm a nurse and it's surprising the number of my co-workers who have visible tattoos, various visible body piercings, and un-natural hair colors (although too bold does still get sent home until it's fixed). I think it looks unprofessional but it's the trends of the times and it's allowed.

disneynarula
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
I was a CM back in 96. I think the CM are starting to look sloppy. It is a sign of the times and not so great. I was perfectly happy to comply with the rules because I wanted to work there so badly. I worked at the Grand Floridian and had to wear these awful high heels and this horrible peach suit. Your hair had to be neat and your makeup had to be tasteful.

I am so surprised not only in the difference in appearance but also in the lack of Customer Service.

I am not saying that all CM are rude... most of them are friendly and helpful. Every once in a while you will come in contact with a CM that seems like they just don't care about their job or the guests.

I can't tell you how many times I faked the "magic" because I realized that when you work at WDW you are part of someone's dream vacation.Everyone has a bad day but as a CM it is part of YOUR JOB to give the impression that every day at Disney is pure MAGIC!!!! I always thought of my first obligation to my job was to bring magic to the guests and all other responsibilites were secondary. The customer service skills I learned at Disney really paved the way for other jobs for me. It really used to mean something.

I think the change might be because there are so many jobs at WDW now there is less competition.

DVC2004
04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Many changes seem to be recent. I worked for Disney not long ago. Earrings (for woman) no larger than the size of a quarter, no excessive highlights or hair color deemed to be "unnatural." I sat with a lady, in her 50's, at Traditions that told me she had been refused entry into class just two days earlier because her hair was highlighted too blond. She had to get her hair dyed darker and enroll for class on another date. She was not happy as she had just had the blond highlights done a few days before that.