PDA

View Full Version : DVC from Disney versus resale

Kenny1113
03-29-2012, 06:20 PM
We have finally figured that DVC might make sense for us. (I know, probably would have been better off had we decided this 8 trips ago)

As I have been doing a little research I got to thinking. What are the benefits of buying from Disney vs resale?
TIA

faline
03-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Before the rules changed, it was more clear cut. We bought resale because we could could get much more value for our dollar and still had all the same benefits as those who bought directly from Disney. Now that is not the case any more, you need to take a careful look at how you will use your points before making a final decision.

Personally, I'd likely buy resale again - even with the restrictions as I typically will only use my points at Disney stays. By the way, we had a great experience using hte Timeshare Store!

Kenny1113
03-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the prompt response! The timeshare store is who I was considering. I was not aware of any restrictions. What are they?

azcavalier
03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah, what restrictions? We have bought from the Timeshare store twice, and as far as I can tell, we don't have any restrictions. We've used them on property, and was ready to use them for a hotel in Asheville a few years ago, but changed our minds a few weeks from leaving and decided to go back to WDW.

Of course, as long as the restriction isn't, "You can only use your points at your home resort", I don't know why you'd by directly from Disney. Unless that was the only option. In most cases, the only way to get points at a certain resort is to get them from someone else. We bought five years ago into Old Key West, which has been sold out for ages, and then just last fall we bought more OKW points.

faline
03-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Here are the current restrictions - directly from the Timeshare Store:

The real estate interest (Membership) that you purchase through The Timeshare Store, Inc.® will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for the RCI® exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

At the time I bought, my points were/are eligible for all of these options.

Kenny1113
03-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Oohhh. That might make a difference for us. If it worked in our favor financially we had considered using DVC for DCL and or adventures by Disney. Will have to look at numbers and point calculators for those options.

Thanks for this!!! :rocks:

DizneyRox
03-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Those are two of the worst values to use points on. Very bad use of DVC points. You're better off renting them to someone and use the money for a cash purchase of those.

Kenny1113
03-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Perfect! I had thought it would be, just hadn't done the math.

Looks like resale it is then????

MinnieMommie
03-31-2012, 10:04 AM
It is hard to make an argument against resale with the current price differential (even when you factor in closing costs), If you only plan to use the resale points per guidelines that seems to be the way to go. We went directly through DVC but would not likely again. The Timeshare Store looks very appealing. They send out notices of what is newly on the market through them. If you get on that list and view what they have available you will get a good sense of the affordability of resale. :mickey:

Through the looking Glass
04-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Can I make you scratch your head? What if I allready have DVC through Disney and buy resale? If I transfer the resale points into my DVC points will they still be under the new rules or will they just be considered actually DVC sale points?

DizneyRox
04-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Transferred points retain their home resort, so I'd be surprised if Disney didn't cover this angle as well. They covered the park hopper "loophole" before they went with MYW as well, so they usually think these things through.