PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi diner........?

olivegirl
03-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Have ressies for Sci-Fi Dine in Theater...looking for some input ...good and the not so good!

E-OR
03-28-2012, 05:09 PM
This is one of those restaurants that seems to get slammed a lot on the boards. Our family loves the Sci Fi and always has one meal here each trip. I actually like the food but maybe I'm just easy to please because there has not been any table service restaurants that I don't like at WDW. We love the theming of Sci Fi. My husband and I can remember the day when Drive In's were where we spent a friday or saturday night with friends "hanging out". The old movie/commercial clips are a hoot. My son who was a film major in college wrote down every one of the names and has slowly managed to watch them all. You'll get nothing but positive comments from this family!

azcavalier
03-28-2012, 05:40 PM
I agree with E-OR. We go here quite often, and have never had a bad meal here. And the servers have always been very fun, making the kids in the front seat (the driver) "pay" for the meal using their park ticket.

I mean, it's not a signature restaurant by any stretch, and you can get tired of the movie loop they show, but it's not a bad meal at all.

TinkerbellT421
03-28-2012, 05:40 PM
If I were you I would go just to experience the atmosphere atleast once. DBF and I ate here once, it was a lot of fun and really cool. The food isn't anything "spectacular" I can't even remember what it was I ate but it was fun and the food was edible just nothing fancy. Picture a typical "drive-in" type food, mostly sandwiches is what I remember. But the atmosphere and fun of it is definitely worth it all by itself.

merlinmagic4
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
I can't wait to eat here in just a couple of weeks!! Looks like fun and WDW is all about the fun for us :)

Quadstriker
03-28-2012, 06:15 PM
It gets slammed a lot on these boards because it's bad. I wouldn't go there if it was free. It's wonderful when you leave a restaurant and immediately start thinking about where you can go get something to eat.

Condensed review I posted in the "what's one place you will NOT eat again" thread.

the food was bad. Not only was the food bad, but the lighting was so low I couldn't even see my food. So... is my steak done properly? I have no idea. Can't see it. Oh well, let's take a bite! BLEEEECH yeah that was pure grizzle I just bit into.

The place advertises that you get to watch old sci fi movies. That's wrong. What you really get are commercials for old sci fi movies. Hey, you want to sit and watch a 35 minute commercial loop while eating? Wow sign me up!

The server we had was quite possibly the most intrusive and annoying person I have ever encountered in a restaurant. He was CONSTANTLY telling everyone what was coming up on the screen in a minute, so that we could take a picture. Dude... GO. AWAY.

Just a miserable place to try and enjoy a meal.

Christine
03-28-2012, 06:20 PM
We like it. The pasta dish is divine!!! The mushroom swiss burger is awesome. Milkshakes?! Yes please! The dip and chips are yummy & fresh. And it's just fun!

To each their own- try it out- you may be pleased!

phlo8810
03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
We love it as well. The milkshakes are great. I always get the reuben which is good and the chips and dip as well.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I have always been one of the people who REFUSED to go back to Sci-Fi. It was the only horrible meal I've had at Disney, just rotten from beginning to end. Eating shoeleather would have been better.

But, I've had a couple of friends come back over the past couple of months and they all really enjoyed their meals, and I notice it is a different menu from when I was last there.

Quadstriker
03-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Eating shoeleather would have been better.

That's a pretty good description of the "steak" I received there.

AllDisney
03-28-2012, 07:39 PM
We have eaten there a few times and always had a nice experience.

It's NOT known for it's steaks..SOOOO, DON'T GET STEAK:thumbsup:

It give it a try, at least once you might just like it!

Mickey'sGirl
03-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Exactly ... it's a drive in burger place!!

Honestly, it's one of our favourite spur of the moment secret grab a fantasic picnic table at the back of the restaurant and enjoy the beautiful air conditioning places in all of Disneyworld! That is ... we rarely make reservations to go there, but always end up eating there. We are happy to sit at a picnic table at the back of the restaurant (and rarely have to wait for one). We have tons of iced tea, the boys have shakes and burgers and my husband and I really enjoy the turkey sandwich with avacado mayo (it's one of my favourite sandwiches anywhere in the parks). Order the food that they are known for ... leave the steaks for the steakhouses! :thumbsup:

WDW&MK
03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
We've eaten there many times. The atmosphere is a lot of fun and the food is ok - not great but not bad either. For me, I have seen the service get worse and worse each time we've been there. The last time was the worst service I've ever had at WDW. The server pretty much ignored us after making us order EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE - including dessert! What kind of a table service meal is that?? She gave us the menu and said when I come back I'll take your order for your entire meal. Then she was sooooo rude to the family across from us. They had small children with them and I felt really bad for them. That is not the Disney way! That said, hopefully that server has found a new calling in life since then.

I think it is a really fun place to go at least once. The atmosphere can make up for a lot of other faults. Then decide if you want to go back again in the future.

GoldenDreams
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
We've eaten there many times. The atmosphere is a lot of fun and the food is ok - not great but not bad either.

This sums up my feelings exactly! It is a nostalgic favorite for my husband and I. The menus are available online, so you can see if there are things you'd like. If so, you should have a great time. It's a goofy, fun place. Although I think the charm may get lost on younger children. Also if you have really little ones, you should be aware that most booths (cars) have you seated by two's, so that can be an issue for managing little kids.

I hope you enjoy it.

cather74
03-28-2012, 08:59 PM
It is called Sci- Fi Diner! I love steak probably more than the next person but I woudn't get it at a diner. I'd get it at a nice steak house. This place is great! Fun...happy....entertaining. It is a trip in time. I go here every time with my family. I love the moment you walk behind the big wall. It took my brath away when I was little and it still does. And the shakes are to die for! Have fun!:mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Pretty good burger, and fun atmosphere. A must do for my family.

Dopey's Girl
03-28-2012, 10:24 PM
It's an interesting place. Food is so so at best (I have had the burger and a shake. Not the worst, but you can find so much better) the atmosphere is pretty cool. I have never had good service. It's fun to see once, but I'm in no major hurry to go back.

sherriepaul
03-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Went for a lunch with 5 people and it took 2 hours, service was non existent and we left no tip, which we are usually around 20% tippers. Complained about the lack of service to the managers. I believe in our 8 day trip it was the worst experience! Even the kids(7) were getting bored with seeing the same shoes on the screen.

Now for me(35) it was so dark and hard to see what you were even eating. DH said he like the food, but the service is terrible. We will not be going back when we go next.

elmjimmlm
03-29-2012, 11:12 AM
The food is good but the atmosphere is what makes this place...We love eating there just for the experience of it...:mickey:

Tinkerbella16
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
I remember being so excited for this dinner before our trip when we made a reservation for Sc-fi for the first time ever.. out of all of our meals is was our least favorite, from the food to the service to the horrible "sci-fi movies" to the very limited menu options.

The next year, we gave it another go as we were going with different members of our family who wanted to try it.. still did not like it. I think the menu has changed since we were there so maybe its different now, but I gave this place two chances and I won't be going back. To each his own.. a lot of people love Sci-Fi.. its just not the place for us. I will say, the spinach artichoke dip w/ chips was very good, but thats just an appetizer.

SBETigg
03-29-2012, 12:38 PM
I think it's great for sandwiches, burgers, appetizers snacks. I wouldn't go expecting a delicious gourmet meal. But for the basics, not bad. And a lot of fun.

Tygger7
03-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Definitely stay away from the steaks...we knew better, but tried them anyway. They were really bad...and we weren't expecting much. If you stick to the sandwiches & burgers, you should be fine. We love the atmosphere and that's what really keeps us going back.

Quadstriker
03-29-2012, 01:28 PM

I know I was way out of line for ordering what was offered to me on the menu and expecting a quality product.

Belle_0717
03-29-2012, 03:50 PM
I ate there by myself on my business trip. I loved the atmosphere and was impressed with the food, after reading mixed reviews on the boards.

I had my heart set on 50's but when they eliminated the stuffed peppers, Sci Fi had a veggie burger option that was awesome. Also had sweet potato fries!

I'd like to go back with just my DH this trip but I'm sure my kids will love it.

joonyer
03-29-2012, 07:30 PM
We have eaten at Sci-Fi several times, my kids love the atmosphere and theming. We have tried several of the menu items, but we stick to burgers, onion rings (fabulous fresh cut) and the milkshakes. can't go wrong with those, they have always been really good there. The Reuben sandwich too. Other menu items have been hit or miss for us.

Fastpasssteve
03-30-2012, 03:08 AM
I have always enjoyed meals there. Part of the appeal is the atmosphere, so if you don't like dim lighting, a large movie screen, and tables resembling cars at a drive-in, don't go.

Also, picture in your mind's eye what one would get at a drive-in. Steak isn't one of them. So, don't order the steak. The ribs have disappeared from the menu, but there are several other options that look lovely.

Enjoy your meal there!

mdricks
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
I like it in the summer because it is dark, cool and comfortable. Picture counter service with a twist. If you go expecting a TS experience you will be disappointed. Burgers, shakes, kitsch and a nice dark cool room....

Kids in particular (at least mine) seem to appreciate the experience.

:number1:

TexansInNY
03-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Until it begins its second rotation - OK we are done they say - let's go!

:mickey:

datacot
03-31-2012, 04:56 AM
i really like the look of this place, the food is a side attraction, its the themeing i going for, and after many visitis to wdw mgm im jumping in this time, :D

CleveRocks
03-31-2012, 03:29 PM
I just ate there last Saturday night. The only thing that disappointed me is that this was our fourth family trip, it was our first time ever eating there, and I'm disappointed we'd never eaten there before.

WE LOVED IT.

My 12 year old son LOVED the movies, my 9 year old daughter liked them. It was just an overall cool atmosphere.

It was VERY crowded. Even though we had an ADR, we weren't seated until about 45 minutes after we arrived. They were as busy as can be, and yet service was excellent.

I've been eating very healthy the past year or so, which is maybe why I went so ga-ga over the All American Picnic Burger I ordered ... basically, it's a juicy burger topped with two butterflied hot dogs ... talk about decadent and yummy!

I'd definitely go there again.

AmandaChan
04-01-2012, 10:03 AM
We've been here twice, the 1st and 2nd time I just got a turkey club with the melon salad. For being a turkey club, it was good. Although now it says on the menu it's a cucumber salad, but when I went both times I thought it was honeydew and melon salad. DH got a burger the first time, some kind of pasta with shrimp the 2nd time. He always liked his meals.

Brother in law last trip got the ribs, and they were apparently terrible (I didn't try them). But I guess he was really disappointed. MIL I think got the rueben and she didn't complain.

Service was nothing to complain about. I'm sure anywhere, and I mean anywhere you go.. you risk bad and good service. You can never predict those things. Even if a restaurant is notorious for bad service, you could still end up with the best service. etc. The atmosphere is what we like about this place, really. We thought the kids would find it neat when we took the whole family (in laws) and they did like it a lot.

I liked it b/c DS (13 mos at the time) was DUE for a nap, I rocked him in the lobby, by the time we sat down I ate my entire meal with him asleep in my arms. I don't think I could have done that anywhere else. It's always so eerily quiet in there.

MrPeetrie
04-01-2012, 10:30 AM
AmandaChan, this is a hard restaurant to codify. For one, it is unique to anything you'll find anywhere. Disney has recreated the drive-in atmosphere PERFECTLY, where you feel you are outside at a drive-in, watching a horror flick. This has some of their best theming and imagination. For that reason only it deserves to be tried at least once.

But, on the down side, you sit in tables that simulate cars. That means, you don't face your party that's in the rear seat. You either have to turn around to talk to them. Or talk without looking. It's kind of weird.

Also, for some reason, it's very quiet in the restaurant. Everyone speaks in a low voice, just as you'd expect to find in a movie theatre. So, you mostly eat and watch the loop (which is very funny) and ignore your family.

The food was good, but nothing to write home about. We've eaten there a few times and I don't recall anyone stating they can't wait to eat the such-n-such from the Sci-Fi Theatre. We always talk about Casey's hot dogs, the chicken at the Hoop Dee Dodo, etc. There's nothing memorable in the cuisine at Sci-Fi.

So, try it once with an open mind. Have fun.

disneynarula
04-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Our DSs love this place. We always have the burgers or sandwiches and they are fine.
The food will not blow you away. I find this is often the case with the over themed TS. I enjoyed my meal there far better than my meat on a stick at O'Hana. If you are looking for fine dining this is not the place to eat.
We like it and we eat there every trip.

The artichoke dip is good. Last time we went there I got it as my meal!

It is dark. Aren't drive ins supposed to be? It is also true that you sit facing a screen so it is not really easy to talk to others in your party.

ledudes
04-02-2012, 10:07 AM
The food is nothing special, it is more about the atmosphere. My kids like it and I like how quiet and relaxing it seems to feel in there, but if my kids didn't want to go, I would skip it. There are a lot of better food options.

LudwigVonDrake
04-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Sci-Fi is one of my favorites for lunch. The food is pretty good and the atmosphere is awesome :eat:

Mousemates
04-02-2012, 02:54 PM
We last ate there a couple weeks ago and found it to be enjoyable enough...the burgers (we all had one) were pretty good and we had great time...we also requested to sit at one of the tables towards the back of the restaurant where the set up is a little bit different in that you face each other rather than the screen. I suppose you might lose a little of the drive-in atmosphere here, but we were a group of three adults who all enjoy talking over dinner...so it worked out well for us.