PDA

View Full Version : Drop off points for parks

K8screen
03-28-2012, 08:26 AM
We are staying off property, and on one or two days of our trip DBF might need to drop me off at one of the parks, probably MK, and go somewhere else off property, picking me up late afternoon. We dont want to pay parking fees if possible, as the car will not be parked on property, but I cant think where he could drop me. The toll plaza would be quite a long walk to TTC, (even if I would be allowed to walk it) and the trams early in the morning wont come anywhere close. I thought of going to one of the monorail resorts, is that possible, or is there a better option?

minnie04
03-28-2012, 08:48 AM
There are drop off's at every park. Just drive through the toll area and go to one of the guard gates at the resorts and they will tell you where to go..Or you will see the signs for "drop off" then just follow them..

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
03-28-2012, 09:09 AM
But don't you have to pay if you drive through the toll area? I think you do.

K8screen
03-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Thats what I thought. Thats the problem.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Stay to the far right in the toll area, explain to the toll taker what's going on, you should not have to pay as people (taxis, parents dropping off teens, etc) do this all day every day. There is a drop off area at the TTC.

cfoshe
03-28-2012, 09:28 AM
I do not know if you can go to a resort, because the guard ask why you want in and if you do not have a reason they may not let you through. I would go to Downtown Disney and bus over.

K8screen
03-28-2012, 09:35 AM
I do not know if you can go to a resort, because the guard ask why you want in and if you do not have a reason they may not let you through. I would go to Downtown Disney and bus over.

I dont think you can get a bus direct from DD. I think I read in another thread that you cant do this because people would park at DD to go to the parks.
If what the previous poster said about people going through one side of the gate all the time is correct (and I'm sure you know what you're talking about!) then all is well. Thankyou

BrerGnat
03-28-2012, 09:37 AM
As mentioned, every park has a guest drop off/pick up area. At the toll plaza, just tell them you are dropping off someone. They will probably give you a colored tag of some sort and direct you where to go to do so. For MK, it is the TTC.

Alternately, for MK, you can go to any of the MK resorts. Tell the gate guard that you are just dropping someone off. They will let you go in. I have relatives in Orlando and we visit with them often when we are down. They always are able to drop us off at our resort when we leave property to go eat dinner or something and it's never been an issue. The guards don't ask for proof that you are staying at the resort.

AgentC
03-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Stay to the far right in the toll area, explain to the toll taker what's going on, you should not have to pay as people (taxis, parents dropping off teens, etc) do this all day every day. There is a drop off area at the TTC.

Yes, I have seen people do this. After going through the toll, take the road toward the Contemporary/Poly. Turn left on the road to the Poly, the drop off area for the TTC will be on the right before the Polynesian.

KatrinaJ91
03-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Go to one of the monorail resorts (Poly, Contemporary) and have him drop you there. Then you can just take the monorail.

Epcyclopedia
03-29-2012, 07:30 AM
A quick adjustment of mindset...

Charging for parking is not to cover any operational cost - not staffing, maintenance, upkeep. Nada. It's pure profit for Disney after like an hour of the parking lot being open.

Not that anyone should be running out and trying to scam Disney, but you should not in any way feel like you owe it to them to further line their pockets over it. Internally they don't particularly care either - they regularly just stop staffing the lot at Epcot after 6pm because the park is frequented more regularly by AP holders and CMs (who don't pay to park) than the other parks.

If Disney doesn't care, why should you?

Logistically Disney is more concerned with counting the number of cars coming in than they will ever be with getting all the pennies accounted for.

So, wipe that guilt away - and know, truly and surely, you are allowed to drive in and drop someone off. You don't need to find a back way, side way, or alternate route. Just drive up the normal way and tell the gate person what you're doing. If for some reason you get a gate person who is clueless about their job - it happens - you raise your stink and say "Well who can I talk to about that?" and they'll quickly realize they work at a parking plaza where they regularly don't charge people not to park for far dumber reasons and wave you through.

Don't sweat it, have a fun a trip :)

Polynesian Dweller
03-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Go to one of the monorail resorts (Poly, Contemporary) and have him drop you there. Then you can just take the monorail.

Except that's not as efficient as being dropped off at the MK drop off point especially the Poly. The MK drop off gives options of ferry and express monorail and is simple.

minnie04
03-29-2012, 09:16 AM

I didnt have to pay.. I just went towards the resorts and they tell you or you see the sign for drop off. Its were the taxi's go...You cant get to the parks or there parking lot from this route. There is a way you have to do it were you cant really "sneak" in ya know (not that you were thinking that ), But its set up so you can only drop and go. I sat and waited once and there is a limit on that too..

shadowden
03-29-2012, 11:56 AM
A quick adjustment of mindset...

Charging for parking is not to cover any operational cost - not staffing, maintenance, upkeep. Nada. It's pure profit for Disney after like an hour of the parking lot being open.

Not that anyone should be running out and trying to scam Disney, but you should not in any way feel like you owe it to them to further line their pockets over it. Internally they don't particularly care either - they regularly just stop staffing the lot at Epcot after 6pm because the park is frequented more regularly by AP holders and CMs (who don't pay to park) than the other parks.

If Disney doesn't care, why should you?

Logistically Disney is more concerned with counting the number of cars coming in than they will ever be with getting all the pennies accounted for.

So, wipe that guilt away - and know, truly and surely, you are allowed to drive in and drop someone off. You don't need to find a back way, side way, or alternate route. Just drive up the normal way and tell the gate person what you're doing. If for some reason you get a gate person who is clueless about their job - it happens - you raise your stink and say "Well who can I talk to about that?" and they'll quickly realize they work at a parking plaza where they regularly don't charge people not to park for far dumber reasons and wave you through.

Don't sweat it, have a fun a trip :)

I would say that mindset is way off. It's people like this, who feel they are entitled to things, that are the same idiots who think they don't have to pay taxes b/c its not covered in the Constitution.

I hate entitlement...

Epcyclopedia
03-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Yes, I explained that the parking policy is overly convoluted and not worth worrying about while stating how to deal with the problem in detail.. gee.. i've done so much wrong in this situation.. how ever will I live with myself...?

MNNHFLTX
03-29-2012, 02:51 PM
You are definitely allowed to drop people off at the individual parks and pick them up--I've done it myself a few times. Nothing "illegal" about it. Just explain to the toll booth person and they will direct you where to go.

K8screen
03-30-2012, 03:42 AM
I just wanted to get to the park quickly and legally, and let DBF get away to do his boring stuff! Thanks for all your help. I didnt want to start an argument. Sorry :blush:

Epcyclopedia
03-30-2012, 05:33 AM
I just wanted to get to the park quickly and legally, and let DBF get away to do his boring stuff! Thanks for all your help. I didnt want to start an argument. Sorry :blush:

No worries - you need to just enjoy yourself :) I'm sure none of us are taking this all that seriously.