PDA

View Full Version : Disney Parks Green Paint Color?

disnfrito
03-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know what color green disney uses in the parks? I usually see it on the rails or lights outside. I just call it disney green. I'd like to know what it's called and what the color mix is so I can make some and paint a few flower boxes with it.
Thanks

Strmchsr
03-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Disney has a few shades of green. I think I know which one you're referring to, but a good plan for you would be to go to Home Depot. In their paint section they have the Disney colors and can mix up the exact shade you choose. I've been able to use the Disney paint schemes in several of our home improvement projects by going to Home Depot.

disnfrito
03-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks..we have one right here in town.

MrPeetrie
03-26-2012, 02:55 PM
When we took our tour, we were told Disney has its own paint. It's unique to Disney. I don't know if that's still true.

Strmchsr
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
When we took our tour, we were told Disney has its own paint. It's unique to Disney. I don't know if that's still true.

It probably is - Home Depot's Disney paints are officially licensed, which is why they have them and other hardware stores don't.

JerseyDad
03-26-2012, 10:14 PM
....Home Depot...and I believe Lowes...can 'scan' a paint color sample to match whatever you give them. If you have a good quality camera or cell phone camera...snap a few close-ups of the painted object....then print out a close-up of the best photo....take it to the store of your choice...and see what they can do for you.

Scott C
03-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Well not exactly Kentucky, But hi from Evansville.

Thanks
Scott C

Mufasa
03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Disney has a few shades of green.

Even for the common utility green I think you're referring to (sometimes called go-away or no-see-um green) there is not just a single formulation that is used. Even one imagineer talking to another could get confused (which green are you referring to? Because the go-away green on Club 33's door is a much bluer shade than say the green used on the Indiana Jones show building)

Specifying paints, shades and finishes used in the parks has always been a challenge to maintain consistency and standards for attractions.

Sometimes there are internally developed systems (Disney/Hench Color System named after John Hench) or a system like the Plochere Color System might be used to describe a particular color that doesn't match any commercial off the shelf paint color but could be matched and mixed to fit.

And often a shade such as the green might be specific to an attraction so for example the color board for the American Adventure might specify that the terne metal exposed elements to be painted with Disney Color #D-4115 using a low sheen polyurethane enamel (so that would mean nothing to your local home depot/lowes paint department).

Even with attractions that are identical, the fact that it is in Anaheim or Florida will require that the shade be adjusted to account for atmospheric lighting conditions (blue skies in WDW are more intense than the skies in DL), the track of the sun through the sky during the day or even the quality of the light that actually gets bounced and reflected back from the ground.

However a lot of times we will use and specify products directly taken from manufacturer catalogs (and they may be chosen for a specific reason because of their formulation as far as colorants and their fade resistance to the elements or wear as far as things like chalking for exterior paints) so it wouldn't be unusual to see a grey specified to be painted using Benjamin Moore 2126-30 (anchor grey) on an attraction's color board during mock-up.

If an exact match in an existing manufacturer color system can't be found off the shelf than something like the ICI notation is used from which a custom shade can be mixed up.

The ICI system breaks up 8 color families into 99 divisions to describe hue, then there is a number to indicate light reflectance in 100 steps and the chroma/saturation in 1000 steps and would look something like:

70YR 83/140 (a red-orange)

buzznwoodysmom
03-27-2012, 08:23 PM
There is a Sherwin Williams app for the iphone that helps to find colors. I think it's called color snap. You take a picture of the item/color and the app selects a close match. Of course if the green you are trying to match isn't made by SW then the app will just select the color closest to it. I've used the app on a few things around the house and the items that were painted with SW paint were selected accurately. You won't get the exact color of a Disney lamp post if it wasn't painted with SW paint, but SW can select the color that closest matches it in their line of paint. Even if you had the exact color paint it may not appear the same color in your surroundings. Not sure if your looking for an exact match, but if it were me, I'd be happy with a close match. Good luck!

disnfrito
03-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Hi Scott from Evansville. Thanks everyone. I do like the app idea...but we won't be back for over a year. I can wait on the paint.

kemps@wdw
03-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi from Henderson Kentucky and a fellow Disney geek! :mickey:
*********GO CATS*********

Cinderelley
04-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Even for the common utility green I think you're referring to (sometimes called go-away or no-see-um green) there is not just a single formulation that is used. Even one imagineer talking to another could get confused (which green are you referring to? Because the go-away green on Club 33's door is a much bluer shade than say the green used on the Indiana Jones show building)

Specifying paints, shades and finishes used in the parks has always been a challenge to maintain consistency and standards for attractions.

Sometimes there are internally developed systems (Disney/Hench Color System named after John Hench) or a system like the Plochere Color System might be used to describe a particular color that doesn't match any commercial off the shelf paint color but could be matched and mixed to fit.

And often a shade such as the green might be specific to an attraction so for example the color board for the American Adventure might specify that the terne metal exposed elements to be painted with Disney Color #D-4115 using a low sheen polyurethane enamel (so that would mean nothing to your local home depot/lowes paint department).

Even with attractions that are identical, the fact that it is in Anaheim or Florida will require that the shade be adjusted to account for atmospheric lighting conditions (blue skies in WDW are more intense than the skies in DL), the track of the sun through the sky during the day or even the quality of the light that actually gets bounced and reflected back from the ground.

However a lot of times we will use and specify products directly taken from manufacturer catalogs (and they may be chosen for a specific reason because of their formulation as far as colorants and their fade resistance to the elements or wear as far as things like chalking for exterior paints) so it wouldn't be unusual to see a grey specified to be painted using Benjamin Moore 2126-30 (anchor grey) on an attraction's color board during mock-up.

If an exact match in an existing manufacturer color system can't be found off the shelf than something like the ICI notation is used from which a custom shade can be mixed up.

The ICI system breaks up 8 color families into 99 divisions to describe hue, then there is a number to indicate light reflectance in 100 steps and the chroma/saturation in 1000 steps and would look something like:

:dizzy:

Goofy Texan
04-16-2012, 12:22 PM

Specifying paints, shades and finishes used in the parks has always been a challenge...

Thanks for the post. I didn't understand a lot of it, but I do like getting a detailed glimpse of behind-the-scenes Disney. I can see how that green color can be refered to as no-see-um green. Makes sense to paint the non-fun stuff like guide rails a visually disappearing color. Disney's attention to detail always amazes me.

Disneydude55
09-13-2014, 08:01 PM
The paint is called Disapearing Green. It's available from color wheel paints.

09-14-2014, 01:00 AM
B

Katzateer
09-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Hi! I ' m from Evansville too! will need to look at those paint colors and get a little Disney color at our house. Hope you find a match.:thumbsup:

VWL Mom
09-14-2014, 08:01 AM

I believe Club 33 door's color is no-see-um gray, not green. The green is go away green.

TheVBs
09-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Love the paint names! LOL!

Fun idea. I hope you get your Disney green and your project goes well!

Patricia
09-15-2014, 01:17 AM
Club 33 has a brand new door. Now it's more of a light grey.

I've never been a fan of the Disney Green, but it definitely works in the parks. I can see that it would be pretty on a patio planter or window box though. :mickey:

Main Street Jim
09-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Specifying paints, shades and finishes .....You're back! :)

PirateLover
09-15-2014, 09:18 PM
You're back! :)
This is a resurrected thread. The original post and responses were from 2012!

Isabella
09-16-2014, 04:18 PM

I LOVE all the information you shared! I don't understand some of it, but to know the intricate detail that goes in to even the paint choices is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!
:mickey:

Melanie
09-16-2014, 04:22 PM
I LOVE all the information you shared! I don't understand some of it, but to know the intricate detail that goes in to even the paint choices is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!
:mickey:

So miss Mufasa and his awesome details! :(