PDA

View Full Version : Toying with upgrading from PO-R to the Poly- should I?

Lizzy
03-26-2012, 09:22 AM
We are going May 19-20 and staying overnight just the one night. We are spending both days in the MK- taking it slow since I have 3 kids, and the younger ones are 4 and 17 months. We are planning on driving over in the morning, requesting early check in, enjoy the pool for a few hours until our room is ready, then getting dressed and heading to the MK. We will stay at MK until about 8:30 pm, and head over to the Poly for our reservations at Ohana.

The problem with POR is, after Ohana, we will have to go back to MK and get a bus to POR if they are still running by the time our dinner is done, or take the bus to DTD and then go back to POR from there.

I heard the monorails will be down during that time. Since it is only one night and probably the only time I will ever be able to afford a stay at the Poly- should I go for it? I think it would be easier there than at POR.

Do all the room as the poly have the sofa? the reason we went with POR is because we requested a murphy bed room. My boys, 13 and 4 will not share a bed. One of them could sleep on the couch if they are truly in every standard room. We are bringing our on Pack N Play for the baby.

BrerGnat
03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Yes, I believe all Poly rooms come standard with a daybed. Although, I have seen some pictures where there is a lounger chair instead of a daybed. However, the majority have the daybed.

I think for one night, if you plan to do MK for both days, the Poly is worth it over POR. If it's not a huge deal, financially, then go for it! It makes sense, especially since you plan to dine at 'Ohana.

Although the monorails won't be running during the day, there are still the boats, ferry, and buses.

floridamom
03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
If you can swing the cost of the upgrade, I think you will get a lot of benefits for it, especially since you are only staying one night. The pool there is wonderful, and I do believe all the rooms have the daybed.

Are you sure the monorail will be down? My understanding is that they were down in March for a few hours during the day. There is also boat service to MK, which is very nice, and you will much closer to the park than of you stayed at POR.

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Since you're there for a limited time, I would stay at the Polynesian.

I thought the monorails were suppose to be up and running (not closed for construction) in late March or early April??? Am I missing something?

SBETigg
03-26-2012, 10:08 AM
The boat launch is still pretty great, even if the monorail is down- much faster and easier than busing from POR. If time is money, and you don't have a lot of time, I think the upgrade makes a lot of sense. The Poly is fantastic, and you will feel more like your whole trip is around the MK, where you want to be this time. Every Poly room I have been in has a day bed plus two queen beds. Also, feels like a lot more space to spread out in than the POR rooms.

Lizzy
03-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys. It's not hard to convince me, but I am just worried if the cost will be worth it. It sounds like it will be. For conveinence and time sakes. :mickey:

Lizzy
03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
I also forgot that we could walk to the TTC to get a bus back to POR. But the MK closes at 10:30. And the buses only run an hour after MK closing. It may be cutting it too close for our comfort.

The FL resident rate for the room that night, is not really all the cheap. So I just really need to think on the price. I have already paid a little less than half for my POR room. hmmmm

mydisneygirls
03-26-2012, 11:04 AM
The room will be plenty big enough for all of you. The sofa is more like a futon. Check out the rate using the 30% off code (non-Florida resident). I think the rate is cheaper.

mom2morgan
03-26-2012, 11:19 AM
For the ages of your kids, the fact that you are doing only MK, and the fact that you are only staying one night, I would TOTALLY go with the Poly. It is a splurge that you won't regret, and not a huge budget breaker since it is only one night. Best part is being able to easily come back to the hotel anytime you want during the day...we've DONE that at POR, but with such a short trip and such little kids, it would take so much time out of your vacation just to travel!

minnie-mouse
03-26-2012, 11:53 AM
I would absolutely go with the Poly! You will thank yourself after. One night is not much time, and you don't want to waste a minute waiting for busses. Plus, since you are having dinner at the Poly that night, it makes sense. With children that young, the convenience of Poly is so worth it.

Aurora
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Add another to the list of staying at the Poly. I know it's expensive, but the amount of time you will save going to and from the MK, especially in the morning, as well as peace of mind so you can enjoy your dinner at Ohana's, is worth it. Otherwise you will be constantly watching the clock to make sure you won't miss that bus to back to POR.

Then the next morning, you can wake up and be right across the lagoon from the MK! And as others have said, it's just for one night.

You won't regret it. The worst that can happen is that you will want to stay there again. :mickey:

COG
03-27-2012, 02:08 PM
DON'T STAY @ the Polynesian!

You'll be spoiled forever and won't want to stay anywhere else.

Go for it anyway for all the reasons from previous replies.
:blush:

Mickey'sGirl
03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
For one night and with three kids, I would absolutely stay at the Poly if I could swing it financially. Perhaps contact Magical Journeys to find out if there is a Florida Resident's rate?

buzznwoodysmom
03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Given your situtation on this particular trip I'd totally upgrade to the Poly. I think it would definitely be worth it.

Fastpasssteve
03-28-2012, 03:09 AM
It sounds like you need to make every moment count. You don't want to waste a lot of time on buses. Go with the Polynesian.

The boat launches don't take as long as you'd think. They go from the Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian to the Polynesian...and then back to the MK. So...getting to the MK from the Poly is very fast!

:lei:

Lizzy
03-28-2012, 09:43 AM
I totally did it! I made the upgrade. The FL resident rate was a just a few dollars cheaper than the spring discount codes. I am just trying not to think about the amount of money overall I am spending. But I just said I am doing this for ME! My kids will enjoy any hotel. My Boyfriend is along for the ride on this one, as he took us on the last mini vacation. So I decided so that I can enjoy the trip more- for all the reasons you fabulous intercotees mentioned I did it. I knew you would talk me into it! Thanks everyone! Less than 2 months and counting! :thumbsup:

AJ Springfield
03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
First off, I love both hotels!! If I were in your shoes I would book the Poly-- for ease and ambiance. I was surprised at how much easier life was in 2010 when I didn't have to worry about the buses to Epcot and MK. It would also be nice if one parent and the older kids would want to run over to MK while the baby naps. The buses are convenient, but not time efficient when compared to the boats. You will love it-- the only downside is that you won't want to go back to moderate after you experience the Poly. Yes, the couch is available and ample for your needs.

AmandaChan
03-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys. It's not hard to convince me, but I am just worried if the cost will be worth it. It sounds like it will be. For conveinence and time sakes. :mickey:

that's what i'm thinking, por and pofq have longer drive times than most of the other resorts. i'm sure you'd enjoy either one, but if i was only going for a couple days might as well go all out and make the most of it.

goofy-4-disney
03-28-2012, 05:29 PM
You will not regret your choice to upgrade to the Poly. With the amount of time saved on transportation and the ease of transportation, that alone will offset the increase in cost. Less time traveling to the park means more time in the park, which means you'll get more value out of the ticket prices. The Poly is a great resort and I hope your group has a great trip!

mickeys_princess_mom
03-28-2012, 10:26 PM
I totally did it! I made the upgrade. The FL resident rate was a just a few dollars cheaper than the spring discount codes. I am just trying not to think about the amount of money overall I am spending. But I just said I am doing this for ME! My kids will enjoy any hotel. My Boyfriend is along for the ride on this one, as he took us on the last mini vacation. So I decided so that I can enjoy the trip more- for all the reasons you fabulous intercotees mentioned I did it. I knew you would talk me into it! Thanks everyone! Less than 2 months and counting! :thumbsup:

:high5:

Lizzy
03-29-2012, 08:51 AM
I am super excited now. I had the little guys watch Lilo and Stitch last night. Just for excitement purposes. Abby (17 month old) was dancing to the hawaiian rollercoaster song like nobody's business. PJ (4 year old) loves this movie.

Yes, this was the right choice I think. I can't wait to post my trip report! :D

Mickey'sGirl
03-29-2012, 09:10 AM
I was just thinking ... you will be able to get a pack and play at the resort if you do not want to bring your own. We always just took our own bedding to use.

Lizzy
03-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Yes they do offer a pack n play, but I think we will bring ours. She may not sleep well in a strange place as it is, so having something that is "home" to her may help

mydisneygirls
03-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Looking forward to reading your trip report!!!!!

missastrocat
04-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Another thing you can do depending on the time that MK closes is to go to the beach and watch the electrical water parade (if it's still going on)... It usually went on after the fireworks show... I loved watching it go by and play the music.

Great decision and have a blast!:mickey: