PDA

View Full Version : How many miles do you walk at each park in one day?

Alpha Jeanie
03-25-2012, 11:04 PM
My family and I were trying to guess how many miles you would walk in each park while visiting that park for a whole day. I thought that I had read somewhere on some touring plan web site that the average person walked 18 miles during a day visiting the Magic Kingdom. Could this be right?

For all those people out there that have smart phones with pedometers, what is your experience. How many miles do you think that you walk around each park in an average day of visiting that park. (from opening to closing):walk::walk::walk:

Capt_redshirt
03-25-2012, 11:39 PM
my pedometer was saying around 6- 8 miles a day I would say that's more likely

Fastpasssteve
03-26-2012, 01:00 AM
I had heard it is somewhere around 13 miles. I don't know if that is true or not. What I do know is that I always request a room close to a hot tub and one of the quiet pools. Each night after hoofin' it around, I need it.

MrPeetrie
03-26-2012, 02:21 AM
We brought a pedometer once and we averaged about 9-10 miles per day.

twinboyz
03-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Great post:thumbsup:, I've often wondered how much walking we do in a day at the parks. :mickey: 9-10 seems about right. Your adrenaline gets the best of you and sometimes it doesn't seem like you are walking that much.

I sometimes see peeps wearing flip flops and I wonder how their feet can stand it! :confused: I always wear a comfortable pair of walking/running shoes to help my feet make it thru the day!:)

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-26-2012, 11:24 AM
8-10 miles sounds about right; which is a good thing, considering all of the Disney food one must walk off, haha. ;)

MyDisneyworld
03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
We used a pedometer last trip and in the magic kingdom we averaged 3-4 miles a day. At AK and EP it was around 6 miles a day. That is a family of 4 with a 6 and 4 year old. Before we had kids and were new to the park we would average many more miles because we were all over the place. Now we have a little more of a plan to make sure everyone gets there favorite rides in.

Butters
03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
We brought our pedometer and it was around 14 - 16 a day depending on the park

lettripp
03-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Great post:thumbsup:,

I sometimes see peeps wearing flip flops and I wonder how their feet can stand it! :confused: I always wear a comfortable pair of walking/running shoes to help my feet make it thru the day!:)

I usually wear flip flops in the parks... FitFlops to be more precise. I like them because I don't get blisters, if it rains my feet dry fast and my feet don't sweat. I think it all depends on the shoes but yea, some flip flops are great for walking long distances :thumbsup:

On another note, I am probably going to get a Pedometer for our next trip... now I'm curious what our mileage is like!

sonamae80
03-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I usually wear flip flops in the parks... FitFlops to be more precise. I like them because I don't get blisters, if it rains my feet dry fast and my feet don't sweat. I think it all depends on the shoes but yea, some flip flops are great for walking long distances :thumbsup:

On another note, I am probably going to get a Pedometer for our next trip... now I'm curious what our mileage is like!

Yep, I'm a flip flop wearer! I've done both tennis shoes and flip flops and my feet tend to love the flip flops better, by the end of the day! ;) And I totally agree with you on the wet tennis shoes vs quick drying flip flops! ;)

I've already got my pedometer ready for our June trip! Should be interesting! ;)

Dopey's Girl
03-26-2012, 01:49 PM

I'm another flip flop wearer. I have Teva flip flops and they are 100% more comfy than any tennies I have ever owned. They actually have some arch support. Love 'em!

I wore my pedometer last time and in 4 days I walked about 55 miles or so. Gotta remember to pack that for April.

Wolf
03-26-2012, 02:36 PM
We did the Pedometer one time, on average we were 6-8 and hit 12 one day in Epcot. We were shocked.

SBETigg
03-26-2012, 02:47 PM
my pedometer was saying around 6- 8 miles a day I would say that's more likely

I've heard 6-9 miles as well. I think that is more likely.

gottaluvtink
03-26-2012, 03:47 PM
We are open to close people and we used the pedometer last year. We ranged from 14 - 17 miles per day. There is definitely a lot of walking on our trips. We usually hit everything thing in the parks and some things multiple times. Who needs rest? I can do that when I get home! :mickey:

Stu29573
03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
I have always heard that 8 is pretty average. I always use that in my calculations (such as they are). I agree with the post that says its a very good thing due to the amount of food consumed! I usually totally pig out and break even in the weight department. :D

disneymomma2010
03-26-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm another flip flop wearer. I have Teva flip flops and they are 100% more comfy than any tennies I have ever owned. They actually have some arch support. Love 'em!

:ditto:

I think everyone is going to have different mileage. Some people are commandos and stay in the park from morning till close like us and some people go for a little while and go back to the resort and rest. It also depends on what technique you use. Do you start at one end and go all the way around and do things as you come to them? Are do you dart back and for using fastpasses and traveling across the park for something with certain show times and such? It's all going to vary.

Ian
03-26-2012, 07:50 PM
9 miles per day, if my Mom's pedometer is to be believed.

Alaska Disney Fan
03-26-2012, 07:53 PM
I've had a pedometer on my phone for the past 4 visits, we usually average about 14-16 day, the most we ever did was 20, that was with a park hopper, EMH, and 4 kids ranging from 11-14.

JerseyDad
03-26-2012, 09:50 PM
...a typical visit to the MK...with visits to ALL the rides...and all the attractions...will let you amass about 3.5 mile (including the walk from / to the bus stops).

....EPCOT...however...with the World Showcase included...will let you add up almost 5.75 miles (including bus top walks).

....to demonstrate this...go to Google Earth...zoom in on the MK...and select the 'measure' option tool and set it to "path" mode. Then trace your path thru the park...hop into the buildings...shops...rides...and then see what you end up with. It's pretty accurate....

FiggyFan
03-26-2012, 09:56 PM
We average about 10 miles a day. Our typical Disney day starts at opening (frequently early opening) and goes until 1 or 2:00. We then take a pool/room break (we go in August), return to a different park at about 5:30 or 6:00, and go until 9:00 or so.

badkitty
03-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Aren't pedometers distorting the miles when you are on rides?

sonamae80
03-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Are you a fellow Mush wearer?! If so, Hello to my sister Mush wearer! :D Love, LOVE these flip flops! They are fantastic and my feet love them!

I too would think that rides would distort the pedometer reading...but maybe technology has furthered and they are making them different nowadays!?

DisneyDog
03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Can someone recommend a free iphone pedometer that won't eat up my battery life?

CuteAsMinnie
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Can someone tell me that if I walk anywhere from 6-14 miles/day and never touch a burger or fries, why o why do I always gain 5+ pounds while at WDW????:thedolls:

Must be the water!:(

Janmac
03-28-2012, 11:07 PM
I used to regularly walk 6 miles a day. I'm pretty sure our touring style at Disney is closer to that than something like 14 miles.

My phone's pedometer doesn't strike me as much of a pedometer. There's no way to set length of stride, and it seems much more like a timer. I had it turned on one day when I was cleaning up some trash from a construction project and I know I did not walk 3 miles. It just kept counting, even when I was standing still throwing scraps in the wheelbarrow.

As for eating at Disney, our extending family usually have about a third that gain weight and a third that lose weight and the last group are neutral - no gain or loss. I usually fall in the no gain or loss.

Jan

Katzateer
03-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Very interesting -my answer is a lot since I have never kept track.

I wear crocs that seem to keep my knees and feet from hurting and if it rains, no big deal. I can get through the day with some wet clothes since I dress in layers but I hate to have wet feet.

Nascfan
03-29-2012, 04:07 PM
I've always heard the general average is 6 - 10 miles per day. I can get on board with that.

Ms. Mode
03-31-2012, 10:12 AM
I always tell people we walk about 4000 miles a day...that's what it feels like. :thumbsup:

The up side is we can eat all that lovely food and never gain a pound! :blush:

Kairi_7378
03-31-2012, 10:58 AM
We average about 10 a day. One day on our last trip we did 13. I was kind of cranky that night. :blush:

MarkC
03-31-2012, 11:08 AM
I wear a high tech pedometer as part of a fitness program at work that rewards us for walking with gift cards-- a great deal indeed. On a normal day I average about 15,000 steps or 7.5 miles as I'm tall and have a long stride.

A normal Disney day has about 18,000-24,000 steps, but one day last summer I logged 30,430 steps, my all time record. That's 15+ miles in the July heat. Not bad for a 51 year old male.

DNS
03-31-2012, 12:14 PM
We brought a pedometer once and we averaged about 9-10 miles per day.

We did the same and averaged 9 to 11 a day. And we started early and finished late. We tend to take mid day breaks now.

EeyoresBestFriend
03-31-2012, 01:06 PM
It's soooo fantastic to be able to vacation, eat all that wonderful food and still go home in better shape than when we got there!!

I always chalk it up to the Magical Air in the parks!! :D

A Big Kid
03-31-2012, 01:47 PM
For the pedometer crowd, Most likely, your measurements are over-estimated. Each step, your pedometer records a predetermined measurement. That measurement is a "normal" stride. When at WDW normal strides arent always taken; you walk in crowds, go up and down stairs/inclines, walk in cues/lines/turnstiles. All those are shorter than normal strides.

Jillirose
04-02-2012, 01:06 PM
I sometimes see peeps wearing flip flops and I wonder how their feet can stand it! :confused:

Or super high heels......

Gator
04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Based on the size of the parks (cuz I'm interested in that kind of stuff) and what I walk/run at home, I guess that we walk about 8-10 miles each day. That is, unless we're at Epcot. Then it's about 14-16 miles a day. And I can always feel it at the end of an Epcot day. It's why I usually follow up a day at Epcot over at DHS - a small park with lots of sit down shows. Feels so good to sit on those days.

wdwjoe
04-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I have tracked and saved this for our past two trips. This was during the Goofy Challenge, so normally we wouldn't walk 38 miles a day. But, when we weren't running or recovering from the run, we seemed to be around 15-16 miles per day for my wife and I.

5-Jan Arrival, Expo, Epcot 8.72
6-Jan 5k, DHS 13.21
7-Jan 1/2, Expo, MK 24.13
8-Jan Marathon, Epcot 38.27
9-Jan EPCOT 11.54
10-Jan MK 13.76
11-Jan AK, DTD, Run, Boma 15.48
12-Jan MK 15.61
13-Jan EPCOT 14.51
14-Jan MK, Epcot, Depart 8.04

JerseyDad
04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Can someone tell me that if I walk anywhere from 6-14 miles/day and never touch a burger or fries, why o why do I always gain 5+ pounds while at WDW????:thedolls:

Must be the water!:(

...unexplained weigh gain in the Orlando area has been attributed to a phenomenon called the "DW Factor".

...the "DW"..is for "Dole Whip"...not Disney World!! ;)

gottaluvtink
04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
I find it funny that people are insinuating that people who actually used pedometers are lying or something. :confused::confused: Obviously, we all do Disney differently. I'm sure there are some people who walk very little because they are in no hurry and don't care if they don't do everything. Then there are others, who want to make every minute of their trip hitting everything. We walk from open to close everyday on our 7 day trips. After the parks close we walk at the resort, or sometimes head to Downtown Disney. I know other people who spend the majority of their trip at their resorts. Who cares? The question was, how many miles do YOU walk? I guess I don't understand the questioning by some?

dnickels
04-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I find it funny that people are insinuating that people who actually used pedometers are lying or something. :confused::confused: Obviously, we all do Disney differently. I'm sure there are some people who walk very little because they are in no hurry and don't care if they don't do everything. Then there are others, who want to make every minute of their trip hitting everything. We walk from open to close everyday on our 7 day trips. After the parks close we walk at the resort, or sometimes head to Downtown Disney. I know other people who spend the majority of their trip at their resorts. Who cares? The question was, how many miles do YOU walk? I guess I don't understand the questioning by some?

I don't think people are saying that others are lying, they're just saying that pedometers aren't always accurate, and our perceptions of how many miles we walk may be higher than the reality. The average walking speed is about 3.1 mph so just to hit 15 miles you're looking at 5 hours of non-stop walking. No shuffling in lines, no sitting on rides, no watching shows, etc. I know everyone has different touring styles, but if we were all covering as many miles as we think we are, then we'd be a little bit slimmer as a nation. The only way to really know would be for someone to take a surveyor's wheel with them and see what they come up with.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I wear a high tech pedometer as part of a fitness program at work that rewards us for walking with gift cards-- a great deal indeed.

That's cool! Would love to hear more about that! :wave:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-06-2012, 01:34 PM
My family and I were trying to guess how many miles you would walk in each park while visiting that park for a whole day. I thought that I had read somewhere on some touring plan web site that the average person walked 18 miles during a day visiting the Magic Kingdom. Could this be right?

For all those people out there that have smart phones with pedometers, what is your experience. How many miles do you think that you walk around each park in an average day of visiting that park. (from opening to closing):walk::walk::walk:

Great post! Now you have me curious and I'm gonna have to find something to use and check this out for myself! :mickey:

spoiledraf
04-06-2012, 02:25 PM
The accuracy of pedometers is suspect. I'm a UPS man and thought I would try that once. What I quickly dicovered is the vibrations are what activate a pedometer. Just driving down the road was andding steps at a pace much faster than walking. One 2 minute ride on Space Mountain would put more steps into it than an hour of trekking through the park. So ride a couple fast rides, typically the coasters, and you quickly distort any accuracy in those little things.

And your typical length of stride in the crowds I ususally encounter at Disney World compared to when I'm out walking for exercise is likely half as long or less. Especially at the Magic Kingdom. I'm at a much more leisurly pace, and usually have to walk at the pace of a 3 or 4 year old.

Just a thought.

spoiledraf
04-06-2012, 03:08 PM
There is an app on Google Earth that will measure how far the distance is from point to point along a progressive path. I had a starting point in the middle of the Beach Club and followed the walkways from there to the International Gateway and proceded along the UK through World Showcase over to Journey into Imaginations and continued to every attraction and restaurant. After finishing Future World I continued to World Showcase talking a virtual walk around the world. I added "steps" up into every Country from the main walkway and back before going to the next country.I even backtracked a couple times just because thats what I do in real life. I completed my day at Epcot nd walked back to the Beach Club.
Total Distance Walked...4.1 miles
I then "walked" over to Disney Studios along the walkway past Boardwalk and along the canal. I did that park hitting all the main attractions I would do starting with RRC, TOT, Star Tours, TSM and others. I was "exausted" from my virtual day at Disney so I took the boat back to the Light House at the Beach Club.
Total Distance walked...3.36 miles.
For the day...7.46 miles
Thats really more than I usually do in a day but falls into that 6-8 miles category that seems to come up most often.
The 13 + mile days some people think thay do... I'm thinkin not. But if you do it's a great workout and I don't think I would put on any weight with that kind of commando attack. Then again, if I walked that far I wouldn't have tme to stop and eat anything either!

Just a few more veggies in the soup to talk about!

Just for kicks I just did Magic Kingdom. Including the walk to and from the busses, hitting the entire park and adding some back and forth for waiting lines, going back to Space Mountain for my fast pass from in front of the castle and back to to the Crystal Palace for lunch at one point, it all came out to 3.6 miles. I think when you are dodgeing thousands of people in 95 degree heat, it just seems like a whole lot farther and a lot more work.

gottaluvtink
04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Well, I guess the theories are great but when you are calculating walks to only rides and buses, you are leaving out a whole lot of walking. How about shopping? We do a whole lot of shopping, not to mention running back and forth to different parades, going across the park to get to a certain eatery, meeting friends at the front gate after we have already been in a park for 3 hours or so, and then starting all over. I guess if you use direct routes around the parks, yes, it is only the amount you are indicating, but just count my family as those "Commandos" you are referring to. When in Disney, we are on the go! If I wanted to sit and relax, I would go to the beach every year instead of Disney World!

Princess'Mom
04-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Reminds me of many a automobile commercial where they flash the MPG - and then throw in "actual mileage may vary". :)

For many of us, our actual mileage does indeed vary, but I try to look at the big picture - I'm in a wonderful place with my wonderful family creating memories for a lifetime.

VWL Mom
04-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Aren't pedometers distorting the miles when you are on rides?

We had picked up a cheap pedometer before one of our trips. I did notice that both the buses and the rides were adding to the numbers.

I'm not sure about the more expensive ones or those in phones.

Snow's Mom
04-10-2012, 04:53 PM
My guess is 5-7 miles per day. I kept a pretty close eye on my pedometer. Don't think I could have walked 12-18 miles a day like some posters said they did. Whatever we walked, it was my limit for the day!

This included not only the parks, but from the hotel room to the buses and such.

Epcot is on the high end.

TwinPrincesses
04-21-2012, 12:28 AM
This thread makes me feel better--I am training to run a half marathon in May and was worried about taking time off from my normal running 5-8 miles a day. Sounds like I'm going to get more exercise than I thought--I love it. My daughter (20) wears flip flops all day and feels comfortable. I couldn't do that. I love my crocs though!

TikiLounger
04-21-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm a runner too and you I can tell you that you don't have to worry. You'll be walking lots and lots of miles. You WILL get much more exercise than you thought!

Muppet girl
04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
My family and I tried to figure this out from our trip a few weeks ago (we were so excited when we saw this post after our own discussions). We tried to come up with an estimate, and one day we went to Magic Kingdom in the morning (we tried to include our walking to and from the buses), spent the morning walking around the park at least twice, then took the bus back to our hotel (the Dolphin), walked from the Dolphin to EPCOT (all the way to the front of the park and then all around world showcase twice) in the afternoon, then we walked back to our hotel, then walked back to EPCOT from the Dolphin that night - walked same route to front of park then back to world showcase for Illuminations, then walked back to Dolphin Hotel. We figured this, plus any incidental walking around hotel to and from our rooms, pool, etc., must have added up pretty good. We estimated walking at least 10 miles that day.