PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on the Poly

Disneymom201
03-25-2012, 08:32 PM
We are traveling to Disney this October with our new DS who will be 7 months at the time of our visit :mickey:!!! We have decided that we will stay on a monorail resort due to brining the little one. Also joining us is our older DS's 13 & 9. Our current reservation is at The Contemporary (Tower/Theme Park View). Since we did stay at the CR last year (for just one night), I was thinking of switching to the Poly to try some where new (we have already stayed at the GF). I have read outstanding reviews, but to me The Poly has never "had me at hello!"
How is the MK view? Would you recommended spending the extra money, or do you feel that it is too far away? Is there a preferred building? What has been your experience with their Club Level?
Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!!

2011 Contemporary (Club Level)/Beach Club
2010 AKL (Surprise vacation for the DS's)
2009 WL
2008 GF
2005-2007 Off Property

FiggyFan
03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
When DS was young, Poly was our favorite resort. While it is hard to argue with a Theme Park view at Contemporary, we stayed there for our honeymoon (garden view, wing room) and didn't love the resort theming as we do the Poly. While Contemporary has the option of walking to MK, Poly has easy walk to either MK monorail or Epcot monorail. We found that the quiet, torch-lit walkways between Poly buildings were a great place to end the day and relax DS to sleep.

The beach at the Poly is a great place to watch the electric water pageant. There is a nice view of the MK's castle from the beach area - again, I would wager that it is not as good as from a Contemporary Theme Park view room. What I enjoy is the view from Poly of the entire 7 seas lagoon - resorts, monorails, steamboats, and MK as part of the panorama. This is especially true from a small raised point just to the right of the Poly beach as you face MK. It is a great spot to start (or end) a day, and doesn't seem to get many visitors.

Oh - did I mention that Captain Cook's at the Poly has a Dole Whip machine?

2Epcot
03-25-2012, 10:32 PM
I've stayed at about 10 different resorts on the property. The Contemporary was the very first one I stayed at, the Poly was the most recent one where I've stayed.

It is hard to beat the view from the Contemporaneity. The resort to me just is WDW. I think that is why it was my first choice when we started staying on property many years ago.

As for the Poly, you don't stay there for a view of the Magic Kingdom. You stay there for a view of the resort. The atmosphere at the Poly is wonderful, and you really feel transported. Great restaurants as well there.

Being in the center of the transportation makes is nice because it gives you so many choices. I don't think you can go wrong at either resort, it just depends on what your mood is at the time.

mydisneygirls
03-25-2012, 11:27 PM
If you've never stayed at the Poly you're missing out on something. This is my favorite resort and the atmosphere is what's makes it. And, as I've said on here before, the Poly is more kid friendly that either the GF or Contemporary. It gives the feel of being in Hawaii. Of all the resorts we've stayed at, my DDs love the pool, especially the volcano slide. I've stayed both in Garden View and Club Level and would recommend both. As far as it "being too far way," not at all. The ease of just walking to the monorail (especially with a stroller) is worth the money. Let's just say that if I won a trip to WDW, my first place to stay would be the Poly...second would be WL!!! I think you and your kids will absolutely love it.