PDA

View Full Version : Gluten Free Dining

Scrappy2
03-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Do most of the CS resturants have gluten free meals? Is there a list of resturants that have meals that we could print and take with us? I know on TS resturants when I make my ADR to note it and those resturants should not be a problem. I was just worried about the CS.

Strmchsr
03-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Disney is excellent about accommodating special needs diets. Also, check in the special needs forums and you'll see lots of other suggestions about gluten free eating at WDW. In the meantime, email WDW at [email protected] and they'll be able to help you with what you need to know.

redleg96
03-30-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm not any help to you on this one. I was about to post the same question when I saw that you already submitted this topic. I do know there's an Iphone app available for $2.99 that has what we're looking for but wanted to see if anyone had recently re-examined the gluten free options. We're heading back in SEP and not doing the dinig plan and wanted to focus on a few of the quick serve options. I know for the table service locations, you can inform the staff of any allergies and they will accomodate.
Looking forward to any other replies on this topic.

Imalismom
04-01-2012, 01:58 PM
I have sent email to our resident "Figgie" who will be able to answer ALL your questions... she will get here soon... hang tight....

figgie
04-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Hi all, yep, we are gluten free and live near the mouse. We frequent Disney restaurants just because they we feel so safe there (although there was a big mistake made at the restaurant in England at EPCOT that we were not happy about and caused illness). First, you should know that when a guest has an alergy, the chef is required to come out and talk to you. This will even happen at the counter service restaurants. They really don't want you to encounter anything harmful.

I don't have a list of restaurants for you but I can tell you that most have gluten free choices. Most will have gluten free buns for hamburgers and hot dogs and fries will be cooked in non contaminated oil. What's really cool is that even in the water parks, they have gluten free chicken nuggets or fingers or strips or whatever they call them! The chef will come out to the cash register to talk to you. I will also warn you that because they are taking care of you individually, it will take longer for you to get your food. You will be asked to step to the side and you will watch others go by you to get their food while you are starving. Be prepared for it and expect it so you don't loose you cool waiting. It is worth it so you don't get sick, just keep telling yourself that!

If you go to a buffet style restaurant, the chef will walk you around the buffet and point out what is safe and then also offer to make you something else that they can make for you. The hotels also have gluten free offerings even in the fast food courts but remember that the chef will come out and talk to you, it's required. Don't forget to tell everyone you come in contact with that you have food allergies, when you check in, your waiter and the chef who comes to talk to you. If you have a question about what was served to you, ask it! Hey, even the Italian restaurant on Main Street USA has gluten free spaghetti AND MEATBALLS, yum!

redleg96
04-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Below is the response I received from Colleen Callahan from the Special Diets Team/Guest Services at WDW; it outlines some of the Gluten Free options:

Thank you for inquiring about how Walt Disney Parks and Resorts handles special dietary requests.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Food & Beverage team is committed to offering a wide range of options to accommodate Guests with food allergies or intolerances. When booking your dining reservations, please be sure to advise the Cast Member of your special dietary restrictions. If you book online, please make sure you include your dietary restrictions on each reservation. If you have already booked your reservations and you are not sure you included the restrictions, please contact our Disney Reservation Center at 407-WDW-Dine or 407-939-3463. Guests are also welcome to speak to a chef or a manager on duty when arriving at the dining location.

Whether dining at a table-service or quick-service restaurant, Guest food allergy or intolerance requirements will be addressed when brought to our attention. Due to the large volume of meals we serve, vendors and suppliers occasionally swap out product. Therefore, menu items and preparation is often updated.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will use reasonable efforts to prevent the introduction of the allergen of concern into the food through close attention during our sourcing, preparation and handling processes. However, it is ultimately up to the Guest to use his or her individual discretion to make an informed choice regarding whether to order any particular items. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts cannot guarantee that allergens may not have been introduced during another stage of the food chain process or, even inadvertently, during preparation. We do not have separate kitchens to prepare allergen-free items or separate dining areas for Guests with allergies or intolerances.

Most restaurants offer no sugar added, low fat, low sodium, vegetarian or vegan options. Advance arrangements are not necessary for guests with lifestyle dietary requests. Guests can discuss this with their server upon arrival at the restaurant.

Most Walt Disney Parks and Resorts table service restaurants that accept reservations can accommodate Kosher meals if requested at least three days in advance by calling 407-939-3463.

Table-service restaurants that accept reservations at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts can accommodate most food allergies or intolerances.

Common Food Allergies include:

- gluten or wheat

- shellfish

- soy

- lactose or dairy

- peanuts and tree nuts

- fish

- eggs

- corn

If a member of your party has any of the common food allergies listed above, please speak with a chef or a manager on duty when arriving at the dining location. They will be happy to assist with your selection and provide product labels and ingredients for menu items.

The locations listed below have Quick-Service menu items or products that, upon request, may accommodate common food allergy or intolerance requirements.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park:

- Restaurantosaurus

- Flame Tree Barbecue

Disney's Hollywood Studios:

- Backlot Express

- Studios Catering Co.

- ABC Commissary

- Toy Story Pizza Planet

Epcot:

- Liberty Inn

- Sunshine Season

Magic Kingdom Park:

- Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café

- Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn & Café

- Main Street Bakery

- Columbia Harbor House

- The Pinocchio Village House

Most Quick-Service locations in the Walt Disney Resorts are able to accommodate special dietary needs and provide menu items and ingredients upon request.

For prepackaged items, we recommend that Guests read the ingredient list on the label before purchasing any product.

Additionally, most Table-Service locations and Quick-Service locations in the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts offer no-gluten added products for the main menu items with or without prior notice. For instance, if a location has waffles as the main menu item, they will generally offer gluten-free waffles as well.

All our Chefs in our Theme Parks and Resorts are trained to handle allergies and take every precaution against any cross contact. As mentioned previously, due to the large volume of meals we serve, vendors and suppliers occasionally swap out product. Therefore, menu items and preparation are often updated. We stress that you ask to speak to a Chef or Manager when you arrive at each location. They will be happy to assist with your selection and provide product labels and ingredients for menu items.

ledudes
04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
My friend had the same concerns and they were very accomodating.