PDA

View Full Version : Quickest transportation back to Poly at closing

spoiledraf
03-25-2012, 03:15 PM
At the end of the night after the last fireworks have flashed, there is the mad rush for transportation back to the resorts. We have waited 45 minutes for busses to the Beach Club. This trip we are staying at the Poly for the first time. While I would assume the monorail is the quickest, would the lines be so long as to make the Ferry Boat to the TTC a better option? Is a night trip more intersting than a daylight cruise across the Seven Seas Lagoon? Haven't taken the Ferry since our first trip in the 70s.

SBETigg
03-25-2012, 03:41 PM
You could take the ferry, and that is a good option if your longhouse happens to be close to the TTC. The resort monorail can draw quite a crowd at closing, but not as big a crowd as the Express monorail usually and it never takes us long.

However, the Polynesian also has boats that it shares with the Grand Floridian. We find the boat option to be a great choice. There are usually a few boats running, so when one leaves another is usually not too far behind. The travel order is Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian to the Polynesian and back to the Magic Kingdom. So if you're headed to the MK from the Poly, the boat is especially convenient. But we like it for return trips, too. We usually look at the monorail lines and the boat launch line and try to decide which will be the most convenient option.

Polynesian Dweller
03-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Got to agree, the quickest method back is likely the resort launches. At closing they run more and the longest wait between boats is about 5 minutes. The monorails are a stampede and the ferry stampede can be worse.

jbernardis
03-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Here's another vote for the launches. One thing I really like about them is that they are open to the air- at the end of a hot day it's nice to sit back and have the cool air off the lake blow in your face.

Just so you know, the dock is on the right as you face the lake - below the monorail ramp.

Main Street Jim
03-25-2012, 07:08 PM
:thumbsup: for the launches.

olivegirl
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
No question about it....Resort Launches!!!

phillydan
03-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Agree-launches!

spoiledraf
03-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey thanks everybody. I was under the impression those boats were a bit small to handle the big closing crowd. Apparently I was maistaken. I think the kids will love it as well.

Fastpasssteve
03-28-2012, 02:25 AM
I must agree about the launches. After a long, hot day in the sun with 8,000 of your closest friends standing in endless lines...riding home on a boat with the cool breeze coming off the water is an elegant ending to the day. Destress and decompress on the B-O-A-T. :lei:

mook3y
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
another boat for the resort boats.

We found that the resort monarail had a long line and it emptied at TTC. After that night, we used the boats from then on at closing time and had a much more pleasant experience.

DisneyDog
03-28-2012, 07:17 PM
We have actually walked from MK to the Poly. It wasn't that bad of a walk...and I was 8 months pregnant at the time.

SBETigg
03-28-2012, 07:56 PM
We have actually walked from MK to the Poly. It wasn't that bad of a walk...and I was 8 months pregnant at the time.

How could you walk from the MK to the Poly? There's no connected walkway around the lagoon, and it would be dangerous to hazard the road with all the traffic? Are you sure you're remembering correctly? You could walk from the MK to the Contemporary, but not to the TTC. You could walk from the Poly to the GF, but not to the MK.

Polynesian Dweller
03-29-2012, 12:03 AM
How could you walk from the MK to the Poly? There's no connected walkway around the lagoon, and it would be dangerous to hazard the road with all the traffic? Are you sure you're remembering correctly? You could walk from the MK to the Contemporary, but not to the TTC. You could walk from the Poly to the GF, but not to the MK.

Exactly. You can't walk either direction from MK to the Poly. You can take the launch to GF and then walk to the Poly. We do that a lot and it's pleasant and peaceful. Maybe you are remembering that.

But the waterway prevents the walk to the GF from MK, no bridge. And there is no safe way to walk to the TTC via the Contemporary. The water bridge makes the roadway extremely unsafe and should not be tried.