PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Acronyms for Things at the Park?

Super Ninja
03-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Just pointing out the obvious, but I think this is getting slightly ridiculous. I mean obviously stuff like MK for Magic Kingdom and DHS for Disney Hollywood Studios is OK, but I don't think we need one for every single attraction. If I say at MK I rode on PTC, HM, SWSA, ISW, PPF, WP, SM, SM, BTR and watched CBJ, HOP, and the ELP. I don't think most people will be able to read and comprehend that as fast as a regular sentence, which kind of defeats the purpose of using acronyms in the first place.

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm new to Intercot and have had a little trouble with some of the acronyms. So thank you for your post!

Maybe someone could make a *sticky* cheat sheet?!

Jim&AngieMarriner
03-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I guess Ive been here to long, I had no problem reading that at all. But then again, being a career Army guy, im used to Acronyms anyway so it might not be that much of a stretch.

SBETigg
03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
There is a cheat sheet at Info Central, but I'll make it easy for you. List of Abbreviations (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp).

But actually, I think you're both newer and in time, you catch on. I tend to avoid using the acronyms because I was an English major and I'm stuck in old habits of typing things out and trying to be grammatically correct. But, for the most part, people on message boards and in texting use the short ways of doing things. Welcome to Intercot! Spend some time here and you'll learn the language. :)

PopPhan
03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
MOST of the acronyms are listed under the Info Central tab...

Abbreviations
-What does it all mean?

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp

Some, like FLE ==>> Fantasy Land Expansion, haven't made it on the list as yet, but you will find the majority under that link.

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Scar
03-22-2012, 10:46 AM
My general rule of thumb is, except for the obvious ones like you mentioned, I'll type in full the first time in a thread, but if we already know what we're talking about, then I'll abbriviate.

EeyoresBestFriend
03-22-2012, 11:21 AM
My general rule of thumb is, except for the obvious ones like you mentioned, I'll type in full the first time in a thread, but if we already know what we're talking about, then I'll abbriviate.

:thumbsup: Agreed.

Sometimes I find the acronyms a bit much myself. I think it just shows my age . . . . :D

btharvey
03-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Maybe someone could make a *sticky* cheat sheet?!
In other words, folks, they know of the reference page, but they'd like to see a 'pop-up' :chip: or a pull-down cheat sheet. Frankly, I'd like it too. What with all the DVC (excuse me, Disney Vacation Club) additions to the traditional acronyms ... and I don't do DVC, personally, so I just say, "... wha ... ?", and other new attractions, it might be a worthwhile addition to the forum powerpack. A pop-up :dale: button or pull-down menu with definitions galore.

I too try to eschew the acronyms when conveying something, though I have been known to talk about DW and DD and how much I enjoy their company at WDW. Especially when we trailered at FW, passed BT to MK, bussed to AK and DSW and had a rolicking good time monorailing to ... EC?! C'mon now ... I haven't seen anyone use 'EC' in a sentence!
:mickey:

Patricia
03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Personally, I like to type it out full on my first use in a thread.. while attaching the acronym in brackets. That way any newbies won't feel left out.

Example: The Evil Dolls (IASW) ;)

To be honest, when a new one pops up such as FLE, I sometimes have to really think about it.

Ah.. Fantasyland Expansion.

buzznwoodysmom
03-22-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't think most people will be able to read and comprehend that as fast as a regular sentence, which kind of defeats the purpose of using acronyms in the first place.

Maybe it's just me but I always felt the purpose was really to be able to TYPE it faster, not READ it faster. Oh and by the way, I had no trouble reading that sentence you used as an example!:blush:

Scar
03-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Oh and by the way, ...Don't you mean BTW?

btharvey
03-22-2012, 12:42 PM
I had no trouble reading that sentence you used as an example!:blush:

"... wha ... ?"

IMHO ... oh, forget it!

:mickey:

Mendelson
03-22-2012, 12:50 PM
I doubt ninjas ever went into a region and complained about the people there speaking their own, native language...let alone super ninjas. :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
I agree that the use of acronyms can get a little out of control on the boards and may be confusing to new members. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. :mickey:

darthmacho
03-22-2012, 03:19 PM

I try to do this too. :mickey:

ShanlovesMickey
03-23-2012, 08:08 AM
I agree! I am new here too & it takes me longer to read something. I sometimes can't figure what the acronym means. Having teenagers in the house you would think I would know more. I try not to use them when I type out something because I am afraid I will use the wrong one!:mickey:

I will be studying the cheat sheet so I can keep up!

Shannon

wdwfansince75
03-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Also, some acronyms change over time...LOL once met "Lots of Love" (used to put it on many letters to my then future wife, who I call "Love" to this day), before it became "Lots of Luck" and morphed into "Laugh out Loud"...but PoTC (or PTC) only means one thing...and MK is carved in stone. Note that when hands are virtually raised, and translations are requested, dozens of clarifying responses are immediately posted.

AXOAlum
03-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I doubt ninjas ever went into a region and complained about the people there speaking their own, native language...let alone super ninjas. :mickey:

I am seriously LOL at this and LMBO! Of course this is the girl who says (in daily conversation) that something is 101 and uses the phrase "we were talking about..." in refernce to whatever Disney podcast I was listening to recently!

I guess I'm just old and used to the abbreviations used here - one more reason I <3 this site - most people understand & speak "my" language :mickey:

joanna71985
03-23-2012, 09:27 PM
I prefer using acronyms myself

Kairi_7378
03-23-2012, 09:46 PM
I noticed on our last trip that I kept referring to the attractions in their Intercot Acronyms, even though I don't use them on the boards much. ("HISTA" in particular confused the heck out of my poor husband.)

wdwfansince75
03-24-2012, 02:08 PM
And as Parmedides would have said, had he spoken in acronyms (and english), "Ttii. Ttinin. Ttiintti. Inti?

EJS-Houston
03-27-2012, 05:59 PM
MOST of the acronyms are listed under the Info Central tab...

Abbreviations
-What does it all mean?

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp

Some, like FLE ==>> Fantasy Land Expansion, haven't made it on the list as yet, but you will find the majority under that link.

If you have to navigate over to a cheat sheet 7 to 10 times just to read one message you're gonna say "to heck with it" and give up. Just sayin'!

LandFan
03-28-2012, 09:59 AM
I noticed on our last trip that I kept referring to the attractions in their Intercot Acronyms, even though I don't use them on the boards much. ("HISTA" in particular confused the heck out of my poor husband.)

Yep, lol, me too!:thumbsup:

Mendelson
03-28-2012, 12:50 PM
And as Parmedides would have said, had he spoken in acronyms (and english), "Ttii. Ttinin. Ttiintti. Inti?

KYSPROI

(Keep your smarty-pants references off Intercot :-))

2Epcot
03-28-2012, 12:55 PM

I'm kind of thee same. Even though I've been on this, and another site for a while. I usually prefer to write things out. I think for me, some of it has to do with my job, which has a lot to do with helping people understand things in a brief amount of time.

AmandaChan
03-28-2012, 05:37 PM
I only got a few of those, and I'm a dummy when it comes to acronyms sometimes. Reading those was like trying to figure out a puzzle. Maybe a cheat sheet would be a little helpful, although I don't really think about it too often.

wdwfansince75
03-29-2012, 02:56 PM
KYSPROI

(Keep your smarty-pants references off Intercot :-))

Sorry I offended you....by the way, I left out an n...

LVT
03-29-2012, 08:49 PM
I sort of like to figure them out. A puzzle person, I guess.