PDA

View Full Version : John Carter bombed

Dyanna
03-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Since Disney reportedly stated that it took a 200 million loss on the movie John Carter what effect do you think it will have if any on the theme parks? At least we wont have to worry about a 5th park dedicated to it like the HP movies.

PopPhan
03-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Doubtful that it will have any impact on the parks, unless they had planned any attractions/meets/etc. around the movie or characters.

The losses from this movie will fall under the Media category, not the Parks category.

Of course, with Disney, who knows how they will play the numbers game......

brownie
03-22-2012, 10:12 AM
None, since they're not likely to add anything to parks from a movie that hasn't done well.

Scar
03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
It will have the same monetary effect than had it made $200M. None. Disney only take's profits from the parks to fund other divisions, not vice versa.

Melanie
03-23-2012, 06:50 AM
I'm really anxious to see this movie, as everyone I've read or heard that's seen it really liked it. It's a shame that marketing was the real loser here.

brownie
03-23-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm really anxious to see this movie, as everyone I've read or heard that's seen it really liked it. It's a shame that marketing was the real loser here.

It was good, and I chalk up its poor performance to the trailers and marketing.

like2workout
03-23-2012, 03:09 PM
i just saw the movie for the 2nd time last night - it's a good film!

Fangorn
03-23-2012, 03:37 PM
I saw it on opening night. There were maybe 30 people in the audience. When it was over, everyone was commenting how much they enjoyed it, couldn't wait for a sequel and wondering why there weren't more people there.

It seems pretty clear that the marketing effort was really poor and failed to grab much attention from the public.

But then, it's not the first time a good movie is scuttled by marketing. Of course the reverse happens too - bad movies become hits based on the marketing.

Steve

Dragongirlx
03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
I really enjoyed this film. It was a shame the marketing just wasn't any good.

Kathy Jetson
03-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Our family saw this on Saturday and we all loved it grownups and children. We pretty much had the place to ourselves. I would love it if they would do a sequel but I guess they won't.:(

The Hitchhiking Ghost
03-27-2012, 09:58 PM
But then, it's not the first time a good movie is scuttled by marketing. Of course the reverse happens too - bad movies become hits based on the marketing.
Steve

The original Batman (Micael Keaton) and Titanic come to mind, marketing budgets as huge as the filming budget that took mediocre films and made them blockbusters.

I think JC is doing pretty good internationally, but domestically the receipts have been disappointing, losing out to Lorax and even 21 Jump Street. Too bad, it was a good movie, I saw it at a preview for Disney Visa holders and the crowd reaction was all positive.

I didn't follow the pre-opening hype, but when the budget gets that inflated it's almost impossible to meet expectations financially, then its just a game of pile on.

Gods of Mars probably not looking to good for a sequel.

Quadstriker
03-28-2012, 02:30 AM
The trailer was bad. The marketing was horrible.

The movie is good!

It's an absolute crime that a horrible movie like Avatar makes a ton, while a story with a plot not written by a 8 year old like John Carter bombs because of a horrid marketing department.

What makes Avatar so bad? Well besides being one giant cliche after another, Try this test. Find someone who says they like Avatar. Now ask them to name one character from the movie without looking it up. I have never met anyone who can. Why? Because every character in the film is zero dimensional (yes that's less than one dimensional).

Avatar is everything that is wrong with film today. Forget story. Forget characters. Just put some effects on the screen and lulz your way to profit as people roll in to see the shiny colors. It's no wonder I find myself going to the theater less and less.

The fact that Disney has chosen to associate itself with a soulless film like Avatar makes me sad.

LarryBoy
03-30-2012, 08:17 AM
I liked it too, and I totaly agree with the Avatar statement. It was a pretty movie, but so weak in every other aspect. It's a shame that more people haven't seen JC. It seems everyone who saw it liked it. Do you think this means we won't see a sequel?