PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent

Dyanna
03-21-2012, 10:23 AM
We are traveling to WDW this coming Oct & taking friends with us consisting of 2 adults 1 child & 2 under age 3 (the free ones). The are staying with us in a 2 br lv at BLT free of charge as were the DVC members for 7 nights. Our guests whom have been to the world 6x before and always traveled during the 'free' dining promotion with their value resort room. They are now complaining that its going to cost them almost $3k to travel with us. (airfare, park passes & DDP) I have told them that there really is no Free dining that its already built into the price of the package but they still have a hard time believing this. Did a comparison & by them staying with us they save $343 n change so whats to complain about! We are starting to regret taking them with us for the fact they prob think we are screwing them. They have mentioned that they cant understand why we would want to be DVC members when you can get free dining as non members. They just dont get it! Yes it would be nice to get a discount on the DDP for being DVC members other than the 10% off certain restaurants mostly at lunch which does not benefit us at all as we do CS for lunches & TS for dinner.

Ian
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
They do understand that there's no guarantee of free dining right? Yes it's nice when it's offered, but if the economy comes back strong at some point in the future it will go away and they'll be paying full price for food and accomodations, while your accomodations will most likely already be paid for.

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-21-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm not too familiar with free dining or advantages of DVC but as an outsider, your friends should be grateful that you are letting them bunk with your family for FREE. That is really generous of you guys. I personally would want to offer you $$$ or buy some of your meals to show my appreciation.

I guess if I was in your shoes I would just remind them of their options: stay with your family for free and pay for everything else, or they can stay elsewhere and pay for it and get on the dining plan, and y'all can meet up at the parks. Kindly let them know whatever they decide is fine with you.

Like you, I am a little worried they may complain the whole time about how much everything costs and kill the buzz of your vacation. I sincerely hope it works out!

dizneydeb22
03-21-2012, 11:03 AM
And don't forget, DVC members are now eligible for the Tables in Wonderland card. This gives you 20% off food and alcohol at many WDW table service restaurants and some quick services for you and up to 9 people in your party. DIsney advertises that you save up to 20% when you choose the dining plan and that does not include alcohol.

We are HUGE fans of the dining plan, but more for the convenience than saving money. We just became DVC members and are taking our first trip in August. We are going to try the TIW card and then compare to how we've done on the DDP.

And just like Ian said, the free dining plan is not guaranteed. They change the dates each year.

Hope you enjoy your trip! Don't let anyone ruin your time. One of the greatest things about Disney is the variety they offer! For one person the DVC is a blessing, another may find it doesn't work for them. That's why there are choices.

DVC2004
03-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Probably they are not taking into consideration that air is up this year. That is probably the biggest expense they are paying considering some of the smaller kids won't be charged for park tickets. That is always going to be a factor in any vacation. Either you fly or drive, but you pay either way. You still gotta get there!Also, as the kids get older, it will cost them more because they will have to pay child's, then adult's , ticket prices. And you are correct that free dining isn't free, they room is rack rates, etc.

We took my sister's family several years ago- similar situation, they stayed for free with us in a 2 BR at SSR but had to pay their own air, tickets, food etc. My sister had never taken her family before but heard from several "know it alls" that she worked with about different things. She complained to me on the plane ride home that she would have preferred to stay at Port Orleans, we picked expensive restaurants (even though she picked with me and I told her what to budget to pay for it, they wer restaurants she wanted like Ohana, Chef Mickeys) etc. I was offended...I would never dare say anything to someone if I was staying in their room for free. I told her I was sorry it wasn't good enough for her (SSR). Of course, has she been back on her own dime since? No. :mad:

buzznwoodysmom
03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
I think at this point I might kindly tell them that they are more than welcomed to stay at a value resort and hope for free dining if they feel that works better for them. If it were me I'd worry that this could be a sign of what I'd be listening to for the entire vacation. I'd let them know that I would have no hard feelings if they choose to go their normal route, value room, free dining (if it's offered). You've been very kind in offering for them to stay FREE at BLT, and I'd hate to see your vacation going down the drain because they complain the whole time. Nothing magical about that!

MizMissy
03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm sorry your friends' attitude is putting a damper upon your vacation. You are obviously more tolerant than I am because my reaction to the complaining would have been "I'm paying for your accomodations, do you expect me to pay for your meals and travel expenses also?"

Is it too late for you to change accomodations or offer other more grateful friends to join you for vacation? If they are complaining about a free place to stay because it means they have to pay for meals, perhaps you should offer to them that they are welcome to make (pay for) their own accomodations to take advantage of free dining and that maybe you can still meet each other for dinner during the vacation?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
03-21-2012, 11:35 AM
I'd start with not so kindly pointing out that BLT ain't no value resort. You are on the monorail, you can walk to Magic Kingdom, you have fine dining, you have boat access to other resorts, and on and on. They are getting incredibly more value, they can get to Epcot (and by extension DHS) and Magic Kingdom without ever stepping foot onto a Disney bus, can't say that about the values.

And again I would pound into their head, there is no such thing as free dining. For the past couple years when free dining has pretty much been an ongoing promotion, there has also been pretty much an alternative room discount that could have been taken. So your friends paid more for a room then they needed to in order to get "free" dining.

Just tell me when you want us down there, I won't complain:D

MickeyMousse
03-21-2012, 11:39 AM
They are lucky to have friends like you that are nice enough to extend such a courtesy like accomodations at BLT to the, FREE!! I agree with previous posts, maybe you should just suggest that they change their ressies to a value resort and hope the free dining is available. Let them go on their dime. You know that even now they're putting a damper on your trip, can you imagine how it will be while you're there??? :thedolls: And enjoy the extra room in your villa. :thumbsup:

elmjimmlm
03-21-2012, 12:04 PM
It would be great to have someone to stay with for free...Is there really a difference if they get free dining and have to pay for a room? You are giving them a much better deal in a much more expensive place...Where would the problem be here? That's like getting a promotion for a free room...It's still a "win" in their favor...
We usually get a pin for free dining and it's a good discount for us since we are a family of 5...This year we are paying out of pocket after adding up where we want to go and pricing each meal...I would suggest to them to look it up and see the difference...They may be shocked by the difference unless they eat dessert with every meal like you get on the DDP...
With it being BLT, I'd bring a cooler of lunch meat to eat for the week just to stay there!!!

zipadeedoodah
03-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Wow...if it were me, I would be seriously considering spending my vacation with them. As previously stated, this may be a warning of what a week's vacation will be like. I have taken a vacation to wdw with "complainers" before, and let me tell you, it only took once to not do it again. It takes all the magic away. "why do we have to get to the restaurant 15 min early...don't we have reservations?" "Is this ride REALLY worth standing in line for 30 min?" "These buses take a long time to get to the parks". It gets old really fast.

I hope it works out for you!

Dyanna
03-21-2012, 01:08 PM
I too hope it works out. Its 7 months out & I should not have to feel stressed about my trip to WDW. They are also the type of ppl that dont make dining reservation ahead of time because "what if it rains the day you want to go to MK & you have reservations for dinner" my reply was we get our raincoats on & go to the park. We plan each day of our trip in advance where they plan it day by day depending on the weather. They like to take it easy & spend time at the pool etc then go to the parks in the afternoon/evening when we like to go to the parks for the entire day as that is what we are there for. We can go to the pool when were at home why do I want to sit at a pool on vacation? Yadda yadda yadda you get my point.

BrerGnat
03-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Your vacation styles don't seem compatible at all.

I think it's time to reevaluate your plans and perhaps forgo the room sharing option. You need to be honest with each other from the get go. Have a talk about whether it is REALLY best for you to travel and stay together vs. just meeting up a few times during the week.

They sound like a major buzzkill to me.

floridamom
03-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Your vacation styles don't seem compatible at all.

I think it's time to reevaluate your plans and perhaps forgo the room sharing option. You need to be honest with each other from the get go. Have a talk about whether it is REALLY best for you to travel and stay together vs. just meeting up a few times during the week.

Ditto.

While there is no comparison between the values and BLT, they may be the type of people who don't spend much time at the resort/don't appreciate the difference. Honestly, their kids may even prefer the theming of the values to the subtlety of BLT. This seems like a good point at which to exit gracefully from the plans to stay together: "We want you to have the kind of vacation you want, so please go ahead and make your own resort plans (and hope for free dining) and we can meet up when convenient."

Now what will be interesting is if no free dining is made available for your dates, they realize the real value of what you have offered them, and ask to "come back." That will be your call!!

laprana
03-21-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm with everyone else...I think I'd tell them to hit the road and that you'll be glad to meet up with them at some point in the trip. And you might point out to them that Disney is currently offering free dining until Sept. 29, not in October (even though it's possible it could be extened). Vacation time is too valuable to spend it listening to other people complain the whole time. Send them to a value resort and enjoy your expansive BLT villa with just your family! :thumbsup:

mook3y
03-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I'd start with not so kindly pointing out that BLT ain't no value resort. You are on the monorail, you can walk to Magic Kingdom, you have fine dining, you have boat access to other resorts, and on and on. They are getting incredibly more value, they can get to Epcot (and by extension DHS) and Magic Kingdom without ever stepping foot onto a Disney bus, can't say that about the values.

:number1:
Exactly - value resort not even close to a deluxe resort. :nono:

Quadstriker
03-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Sounds like you need new friends imo.

I'll volunteer.

faline
03-21-2012, 06:34 PM
How frustrating!

Somehow, we always seem to be the "treaters" rather than the "treatees" (is that a word?). I would be thrilled is someone treated me to free accommodations at Disney World!

My brother's family was our guests at a 2-bedroom villa at Old Key West a couple of months ago. I worried that they wouldn't like the accommodations or the location (distance from the parks) and/or wouldn't feel it was a good deal as they'd stayed under "free dining" in the past. Fortunately, they were very appreciative of both the free accommodations and the Tables in Wonderland discounts for dining.

DizneyRox
03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
I'd tell 'em to pound sand...

Been burned once using my points for someone else, I don't offer it up anymore. If you want to tag along, go ahead, call 18004DISNEY and set something up. Maybe I'll see you in the parks.

Kairi_7378
03-21-2012, 09:54 PM
The nice thing about Disney is that it appeals to many people with many vacation styles. However, everyone thinks that "their" way of doing WDW is the best! Sounds like that is what is going on here.

I agree with the others that it would be better to tell them that if they are more comfortable, that they should make their own arrangements. (You can always frame it as a "I'd hate to see you feel uncomfortable with the travel arrangements... why don't we just meet for dinner on X and Y day.")

I also agree with the previous poster who mentioned air fare. We have had quite a few posts recently about how much more expensive it is this year.

Aurora
03-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Good grief! Besides the fact that they must be very stingy even to think what they do, saying it to you is beyond rude!

If you insist on keeping these arrangements (although I, like others, think these "friends" should take a hike), then I would make darn sure they understood you are, in fact, paying for their accommodations. Not just because they're staying with you, but because you're using more points (and paying dues on those points) for them to do it! What freeloaders!!

Janmac
03-22-2012, 09:48 AM
At the very least, if you feel you will jeopardize your friendship by cutting them loose - excuse me offering them the option of staying where they are more comfortable - you could rethink the touring while at WDW.

Mention to your friends that you will make ADRs for your family and if they want to make ADRs for the same nights at the same restaurants, here is the phone number and website.

Then, while at Disney, you and your family go your way and let them do their own thing. I have had to say to some family members, this is what we're doing tomorrow; you're welcome to join us or do your own thing, it's up to you.

That reduced the amount of complaining about choices.

Jan

mydisneygirls
03-22-2012, 09:48 AM
I feel so bad for you to be in this position because if they stay with you or get their own room at a value, your friendship will never be the same. If someone offered me a free room, I wouldn't complain about anything...I'd be TOO excited! When we use to travel with family, it was horrible. We had to do everything they wanted until finally I said we are going to do our own thing during the day and meet up for dinner.

I'm not a DVC member (my wish someday!!!) but don't DVC rooms have KITCHENS???? Let them cook their own food and you do your own thing. This will cut down on their $$$$.

Dyanna
03-22-2012, 09:50 AM
They still want to go with us even after putting on paper the comparisons of staying at a value resort & saving a few bucks by staying with us at BLT but I guess they felt like they were getting a raw deal since having to make multiple payments for passes, air Dining instead of a pay one time package deal. I have hid nothing from them & been very upfront but hope that once they step foot into the 2br lv room their appreciation may change. Told them they dont have to follow our schedule & we could just meet up for dinner or otherwise. As being from NY we only get to Disney once a year or every other year & utilize our days by spending all day in the parks when they would rather sit by the pool. I can save money & stay home & do that or if I want pool/beach time go to a beach resort elsewhere. Live & learn :-)

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I'll be looking for an update from you sometime in October! ;)

Dyanna
03-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Not to worry I will update & let ya know if the friendship survived or if they are kissing our feet begging to go back.:blush:

I'll be looking for an update from you sometime in October! ;)

DVC2004
03-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Yeah definitely go separate ways when you are there and you can meet for dinner sometimes or whatever. When we took my sister (similar story to yours that I shared earlier), she has insisted she and her family do everything with us as a group. We didn't really want to because she is just sort of a nervous person and gets really crabby when in crowds, lines etc. As expected, we parted ways by Day 2. She kept freaking out, yelling at everyone and just being a real downer. I felt bad for her husband and kids. I love her, she's my sister, but too much togetherness when you have these different ways of doing things just did not work. We split up and would meet up at dinner, back at the room etc and it worked out better.

MizMissy
03-22-2012, 10:55 AM
They still want to go with us even after putting on paper the comparisons of staying at a value resort & saving a few bucks by staying with us at BLT but I guess they felt like they were getting a raw deal since having to make multiple payments for passes, air Dining instead of a pay one time package deal. I have hid nothing from them & been very upfront but hope that once they step foot into the 2br lv room their appreciation may change. Told them they dont have to follow our schedule & we could just meet up for dinner or otherwise. As being from NY we only get to Disney once a year or every other year & utilize our days by spending all day in the parks when they would rather sit by the pool. I can save money & stay home & do that or if I want pool/beach time go to a beach resort elsewhere. Live & learn :-)

I hope you guys have a great time --- together or separate! If they love hanging out at the pools and resorts during the day, how could they not LOVE being at a Deluxe over a Value resort!!!! Fingers crossed that everything works out well. You really are very generous for sharing your wonderful accomodations with your friends. I hope they wake up and appreciate it soon.

Mendelson
03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Sheesh....best of luck.

A WDW vacation is one that I just wouldn't take with another family - it's not like going to the beach, so credit to you for being generous.

We went with my parents and adult sister about eight years ago and I was quickly disabused of the notion that traveling with family would be fun, sad as that is to say.

We'll maybe consider going with my wife's brother and his family some day, because his wife was in the college program, they "get it," and I was mightily impressed by the itinerary she put together for their last trip. Our styles match up. So after they complete my 146-question Disney vacation questionnaire maybe I'll think about it....

zipadeedoodah
03-22-2012, 12:49 PM
So after they complete my 146-question Disney vacation questionnaire maybe I'll think about it....

LOL! My Sentiments exactly! :mickey::thumbsup:

cuteduck223
03-22-2012, 03:48 PM
and lets be honest...as fantasyland continues to open up, they're not going to be offering as many extended deals. Already this september's dining does exclude certain locations.

mudpuppysmom
03-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah definitely go separate ways when you are there and you can meet for dinner sometimes or whatever. When we took my sister (similar story to yours that I shared earlier), she has insisted she and her family do everything with us as a group. We didn't really want to because she is just sort of a nervous person and gets really crabby when in crowds, lines etc. As expected, we parted ways by Day 2. She kept freaking out, yelling at everyone and just being a real downer. I felt bad for her husband and kids. I love her, she's my sister, but too much togetherness when you have these different ways of doing things just did not work. We split up and would meet up at dinner, back at the room etc and it worked out better.

We did this similar thing a few years back and I have to say that my sister and I are opposites in vacation styles.....my family gets up gets moving and out the door we go until night....my sister and her family, get up late, wander around for a while, eat "breakfast" at 11ish, think about what they want to do, walk around the resort/hotel for an hour discussing what they should do that day -- time for lunch.....you get the idea. I was absolutely NUTS by day 3. My husband told me then and there that we were on our own and if they wanted to meet up with us later in the day (when they started their day he said) -- she could call us.

Best part was.....all the planning I did went out the window the minute we got to Orlando -- she appreciated nothing! I rented the van for the trip and all she wanted was the van, the van, the van to go here and there because they had to "go now" to do something. I gave up the keys and we rode disney transport. It was not worth fighting with her about.

I like several (almost everyone) people agree -- they have their own key to get into the room.....go your way and let them call you when they want your company (or help) -- you will be much saner and have a much nicer vacation -- REALLY you will!! I know people say once they get there they will settle down and enjoy everything but it sounds like you have friends who are not at all appreciative of your generosity -- and if you need new friends....I'll get in the line and stay with you too!! My husband would LOVE to stay at BLT!

Please have a fun and relaxing vacation!!:mickey:

squad51
03-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Can I be your friend? Just take me. I would be a good addition to your touring plans as I am the self proclaimed expert on Disney World. I don't snore (I've never noticed), I don't talk too much, and I will be greatfull for the chance to go back. Take me, PLEASE.:mickey:

faline
03-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I like several (almost everyone) people agree -- they have their own key to get into the room.....go your way and let them call you when they want your company (or help) -- you will be much saner and have a much nicer vacation -- REALLY you will!!

Before we went together, my brother and I talked about this. We agreed that's what cell phones work well for. If they wanted to get a late start, we got up and went. If they wanted to stay at a park longer and ride an attraction for the 3rd or 4th time (when once or twice was good enough for us), we could go our separate ways. We still spent a considerable amount of time touring together and ate most of our dinners together. Other than dinner reservations and which park we would go to on which day, we didn't have any hard and fast plans that could not be altered. And, at the nd of the trip, we even altered the parks with Gene & I going to the park we had planned and my brother planning to hit several parks to get in all their son's favorites before the trip ended.

MaresHappy
03-24-2012, 08:13 AM
I'm right there with the folks mentioning different vacation-ing styles. Maybe their mentioning the value option was their way of (possibly) wanting to un-do the arrangements too? (probably not!) But, you did the right thing by mentioning the option to re-book - which I would mention again when some time passes. I would stay firm on what YOU want to do with YOUR family with regard to your daily agendas, and let them do the same. Don't fall prey to altering your desires to accomodate theirs. Instead, make your days your priority and as folks suggest, announce, invite, and GO! (also don't give up your whirlpool tub - it may be your little oasis of calm :marg: )!!

Dyanna
03-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Can I be your friend? Just take me. I would be a good addition to your touring plans as I am the self proclaimed expert on Disney World. I don't snore (I've never noticed), I don't talk too much, and I will be greatfull for the chance to go back. Take me, PLEASE.:mickey:

If we ever decide to take another family with us it would be someone that likes to do the same plans as us. Sounds like you would fit the bill :-)

I just hope that once we get to WDW that they decide to go with our plans as I know the kids would like to all stay together. The husband just goes with the flow & the wife is the one that wants to 'rest & relax" They are a beach family & we are non beach if you get my point.

Checkers
03-24-2012, 04:15 PM
:mickey:What a great friend you are! We have taken family with us on many occasions but have always made it clear from the get-go that we had our own style of vacationing at WDW and while they were more than welcome to join us, we would want them to vacation the way they wanted to as well. Most times we made out ADRs to dine together a few evenings (TS) or meet up in the parks, etc.

I agree with the others that you can offer them an "out" by telling them that you would not be offended if they want to stay at a Value with the hope of getting Free Dining. I truly believe that they are going to be blown away by BLT as most people are who stay at the Deluxes.

In any case, go and have a wonderful time!