PDA

View Full Version : 'Ohana

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
DH and I have a reservation at 'Ohana during our upcoming May trip. This will be our first time dining there. Our reservation is at 9:35 p.m. and MK closes at 10:00 p.m. that night so we're hoping we'll get to see the fireworks show.

Please share your thoughts/comments/advice/etc., about 'Ohana.

mom2morgan
03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
DH and I have a reservation at 'Ohana during our upcoming May trip. This will be our first time dining there. Our reservation is at 9:35 p.m. and MK closes at 10:00 p.m. that night so we're hoping we'll get to see the fireworks show.

Please share your thoughts/comments/advice/etc., about 'Ohana.

It's a favourite of many on this board, including us! Anything in particular you want to know? Basically you sit down and they start bringing the food - a salad, I believe, and a sweet sort of bread (pineapple?) I didn't really like, they noodles and several kinds of meat (a real carnivore's feast, my husband says ;-) and of course the banana bread pudding which is absolutely a slice of heaven (according to me and my girls - my husband just prefers to have more meat for his dessert!). Anything you want more of just ask, and they'll bring it around...in fact we find they tend to bring more of everything as soon as they see you are out, so you have to tell them to STOP bringing more food, LOL

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your response! We booked it because we heard others talk about it but honestly didn't know much about it, ha. DH and I love meat and bread pudding so I think we'll be happy. :mickey:

The experience sort of sounds like a Brazilian steakhouse. Do you pay per person then? Cost? (We are not on a meal plan.)

We also have a reservation at Shula's steakhouse.

buzznwoodysmom
03-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes, you do pay per person. I'm not sure what the cost is these days, but I'd guess at least $30-35 per person, maybe more.

If your ADR is for 9:35 and Wishes is at 10 that night you may get to see it. It will depend on where you are seated. Some tables have a clear view of the castle and Wishes, while other tables are toward the back and don't have any view of the castle or fireworks. They do dim the lights and pipe in the music from Wishes so you'll at least be able to hear it. You could reqest a table at the window when you check in. They may not be able to honor that request, but it's worth a try.

SBETigg
03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
It's not really like a brazilian steakhouse, but I guess you could say there's a similarity with meat on skewers and all you care to eat.There are many courses before the meat skewers, though, and an incredible dessert, so we tend to go for small portions of everything, and we still get really full. Love the atmosphere! And the Lapu Lapu (strong rum drink served in a pineapple).

You're dining late and seating runs late at 'Ohana. I wouldn't count on seeing the 10 pm fireworks with a 9:35 seating. You might just be sitting down, and you might not get a table with a view. If seeing the fireworks is a priority, I would try to change the reservation time to be done eating in time to catch the fireworks on the beach. Also, there's the Electric Light Pageant at 9. If you're staying at the GF, you could catch it there another night, maybe (it passes the GF beach at 9:15). Getting reservations at 'Ohana can be tricky, though, so if you can catch fireworks another time and just hope for the best for your current seating, it might work out.

Shula's is excellent, but very pricey, just so you're aware going in. Prices are typical of most high-end steak houses. My dinner for one there was over $150 (with a good glass of wine and tip).

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks Denise and Sherri! The price seems more than reasonable to me with all the food you get. I will definitely have to try the Lapu Lapu pineapple drink (I also live a good Mai Tai).

In terms of seating, we will try and get a window table and just hope for the best. The fireworks aren't a priority but an added bonus. We'll see what happens and just roll with it!

We dined at Shula's last year and loved it. It was our first "real" dinner as a newly married couple. We'll be going there exactly 1 year to the date!

SBETigg
03-21-2012, 10:58 AM
In terms of seating, we will try and get a window table and just hope for the best. The fireworks aren't a priority but an added bonus. We'll see what happens and just roll with it!

We dined at Shula's last year and loved it. It was our first "real" dinner as a newly married couple. We'll be going there exactly 1 year to the date!

'Ohana is fun. Good plan. I hope you like it. Shula's has good atmosphere for a romantic meal. It's dark and cozy. I'm sure it will make for a very happy anniversary.

elmjimmlm
03-21-2012, 12:17 PM
We have been there several times and my best advice is to come very hungry because you will leave very full!!! :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
03-21-2012, 10:24 PM
We have been there several times and my best advice is to come very hungry because you will leave very full!!! :mickey:

And smiling! Enjoy! It's the first ADR we always make now. :mickey: