PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi all, new to the boards! :mickey:

My husband and I are thinking of staying at the GF this upcoming May (17-20) for 3 nights before embarking on a cruise (celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary!). We have stayed in the Sugarloaf concierge before and loved it.

Does anyone know how the construction of the DVC villas is affecting the resort besides the spa? Meaning noise levels, views, and general ambiance? (I sure hope the monorail is back on schedule before May. I would hate to pay monorail resort prices and not be able to use the monorail.)

We are also considering the Polynesian. (We do not have any children yet if that makes a difference.)

I also notice good booking savings via Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, etc., versus booking from the WDW website. How do you usually book? Anything I should be aware of if booking via Travelocity or the like?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments!

SBETigg
03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
If you have noise concerns, I think this is as much an issue for the Polynesian as it is for the Grand Floridian, considering the construction is pretty much between the two resorts. Monorail concerns aside, it might depend on where you're staying within the resorts. The Poly longhouses more central and closer to the TTC would probably be least affected. The GF buildings closer to the MK side of the lagoon and further from the wedding pavilion area will probably be least affected. If you're planning another Sugar Loaf stay, I can't imagine it would be much of an issue. Disney usually does a pretty good job of making sure guests are protected from construction noise and unsightly images.

But if you're really concerned, a safer bet might be to look into staying at the Yacht or Beach Club. We're GF fans, and staying over near Epcot really didn't cut it for us but you might end up loving it. As for booking, we always go through Magical Journeys. They get us the best possible price without any extra effort on our part, and they're fantastic to deal with, very friendly and helpful.

brownie
03-19-2012, 06:56 PM
:welcome:

Belle of the Ball, welcome to INTERCOT!

I'd recommend using Magical Journeys. They'll work to get you the best deal. If something better comes along after you book, they'll do what they can to have it applied to your reservation (no guarantees, though.)

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Thank you so much for recommending Magical Journeys. I wasn't familiar with them until now and plan to do a request with them!

We do plan to be in the Sugarloaf building again so I am not as worried about the construction.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I look forward to chatting with all of you more!

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-20-2012, 03:18 PM
**Update**

Just booked Grand Floridian through Magical Journeys! Karen was wonderful to work with. Thank you so much again for recommending MJ!

SBETigg
03-20-2012, 05:14 PM
**Update**

Just booked Grand Floridian through Magical Journeys! Karen was wonderful to work with. Thank you so much again for recommending MJ!

I'm glad it worked out for you. I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with MJ. I hope you have a great stay, and stick around. We have a lot of fun here. Welcome.

brownie
03-21-2012, 09:18 AM
**Update**

:thumbsup: