PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Chair Rentals?

jaredkari
03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
My wife and I are planning to do one more WDW vacation here quick before we have our first child. My wife is just right at the beginning of the stage of things becoming uncomfortable. So I figured I could push her around when we go to WDW in a wheelchair. Just curious, how much is wheelchair rental at WDW??:mickey:

stitchingirl
03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
It's about $10 or $12 per day. At MK it's right near the front gate. At DHS, it's at the gas station just inside the main gate, at Epcot it's on the far left side of Spaceship Earth. Can't remember where AK's wheelchair lot is.

Tink#64
03-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Good question! My DM & I were just having this conversation tonight. She's planning a trip & I suggested a power scooter for her, she's69 & has Neuropathy & has a hard time walking, a power scooter would give her so much more freedom! Does WDW rent those power scooters that I see so many using? I was planning to call WDW myself, but if anyone has any info I'd surely appreciate it! :thanks:

LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney
03-20-2012, 04:57 AM
A couple years ago I rented an electric scooter at AK. Make sure you arrive early if you want an electric scooter. We arrived at the park right after rope-drop and the scooters were almost gone but there were plenty of wheel chairs. I think I paid about $30.00 for the day.

Tink#64
03-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks so much LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney! I wasn't sure if Mom needed to make arrangements from an outside source or what. I'm not sure if she'll be flying or driving so bringing one from home may not be an option. She is mobile, but has a very hard time. I want her to have the best time possible! She just loves WDW and has accompanied us twice to WDW but will be bringing my 4 year nephew for his first trip and my DM will want to go as long as he wants - everywhere he wants! As it should be! :mickey:

Disney4us2
03-21-2012, 02:44 AM
Good question! My DM & I were just having this conversation tonight. She's planning a trip & I suggested a power scooter for her, she's69 & has Neuropathy & has a hard time walking, a power scooter would give her so much more freedom! Does WDW rent those power scooters that I see so many using? I was planning to call WDW myself, but if anyone has any info I'd surely appreciate it! :thanks:

WDW does rent the ECV's. I would consider renting from an outside company. It is less expensive, and she will have the scooter with her at the resort as well. I rented from Apple Scooters back in 12/11 and loved their service. I bring my own with me now, it is just more comfortable for me.

Daisy'sMom
03-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Rent the scooter from an outside source. WDW charges 70, think you get 20 back when you return the scooter. It is high and I feel bad that people that need them are charged so much. Sometimes WDW does not do the right thing.:mickey:

Tink#64
03-22-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm sorry, never meant to hijack this thread! But, I truly appreciate everyone's help. My mother definitely needs a "motor vehicle" :silly: to get around WDW & I know she couldn't handle a regular wheelchair & not being used to using a wheelchair, I know she'd really be self conscious & I think it would just wear her out! Does anyone know, when renting from these outside vendors, do you know if she would need to make arrangements to pick it up (I still don't know if they'd be driving) or if any of these vendors deliver, considering the size of these chairs/scooters? I apologize, I can certainly make phone calls for this info for her, just wondering if any of you have this info from your experiences.

You guys are the best of the best! Thanks to all for your help! :rocks:

Janmac
03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
To the OP, as was mentioned in the stroller thread, ask for a length of stay discount for the wheel chair. My sister didn't find out about this until half way through our stay, when she was renting a wheel chair for her pregnant daughter.

Which was a godsend to her. As you mentioned, she was right at the beginning of things being uncomfortable. The wheel chair helped a lot. Especially later in the day.

Your wife may experience some problems seeing things from a lower vantage point, and feel weird, but she will be way less tired.

Jan

crmark1
03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Apple Scooter will have the scooter at your resort early am on the first morning you reserve it and pick it up the morning after your res. ends. They even came out and replaced one that I was having problems with. All for about $25 a day. I have problems walking and standing and the scooter made our last trip a success.

Tink#64
03-22-2012, 11:29 PM
cmark1, :thanks: so much! Great info! I knew someone here was bound to have experience with this! I'm grateful, thank you! :rocks: