PDA

View Full Version : package res to room only res

lyle21
03-16-2012, 02:16 PM
i currently have a package reservation and i would like to change it to a room only reservation. is this hard to do? do i just call disney up and change or will this be difficult? will i lose room? i figure i could just call now, but you guys are more informative! plus i'm puting it off, worried it might be a pain.

CleveRocks
03-16-2012, 10:07 PM
In doing this, you'll be making a new room-only reservation and then cancelling your package. They'll make sure you can get the room-only reservation you want before cancelling the existing package reservation, so there's no risk of losing your room.

But if you're going during an insanely crowded time, where your room category/resort is completely sold out, then they won't be able to do that. They'd have to cancel the existing reservation and then you'd have to hope that the room is still in inventory a minute or two later when they book the new reservation. [It's very unlikely this will apply to you.]

Don't worry, they'd ask you if they can do this before they'd actually do it.

A more likely possibility, if going during a crowded time, is that if you booked the package at a discount you might not be able to retain that same discount.

The other thing that will be necessary is you'll need to make a new deposit. The room-only deposit is the equivalent of one night's room rate plus tax. They can't just apply your existing $200 deposit from your package reservation ... that deposit will be refunded to you through the original means of payment, and it can take a few days or longer.

Also, if you are fewer than 45 days from your arrival, you'll pay a penalty (I believe it's $50) to cancel your package reservation. But as long as you're 45 days or more, then you don't forfeit any of your package deposit.

But if it's important to you to switch your type of reservation, go ahead and do it. It'll be a few minutes on the phone, no problem.

Janmac
03-18-2012, 02:30 PM
IF the CM on the phone doesn't seem to have experience or know-how, don't hesitate to ask to leave the pkg in place, make an excuse - kid is tearing down the house (or whatever) - and call back. The next CM is probably more knowledgeable.

Just recently I have had two different CMs give me inaccurate info.

Jan