PDA

View Full Version : PotC

K8screen
03-16-2012, 09:44 AM
I've just been thinking about PotC. Its been a long time since I was there. (going back in June :thumbsup: ), but as I remember, the line for this ride goes downhill quite steeply, and there is that drop near the start, so is most of the ride underground? Or do you go up for part of the queue? Or at the start of the ride?
Silly question probably, but you know how these things stick in your head if you dont figure them out.

PopPhan
03-16-2012, 09:51 AM
I hadn't thought too much about the queue, but I do know that the 'drop' near the beginning of the ride is to take it below the train tracks as you actually go outside of the park 'boundaries' for a good part of the ride.

It actually makes sense that you are walking downhill in the queue to help get you low enough so that the drop on the actual ride is shorter.....

joonyer
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
The "drop" on PoTC is not really a "drop"; at least not when compared to the Splash Mountain kind of "drop". It is quite mild and not very long or steep. It does go downhill though, and if you are not expecting it you may get a mild "thrill". The queue does slope downhill before you get on the boats.

K8screen
03-16-2012, 01:25 PM
The "drop" on PoTC is not really a "drop"; at least not when compared to the Splash Mountain kind of "drop". .

I'm not worried about the drop, I've done it several times, I'm just curious about where the ride actually goes. I hadnt realised it actually went UNDER the railway! Fascinating!

joonyer
03-16-2012, 02:06 PM
If you check on Google earth or maps (or other sites with aerial views), you can see the PoTC building (although you can't see inside of course), but it gives you a general idea of the layout of the train tracks and the PoTC building (actually two buildings connected). I'd love to ride it once with all the interior lights on.

By the way, the train actually tunnels right through Splash Mountain also.

Main Street Jim
03-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Along the same note....the "drop" ("waterfall") is only about 12 feet in vertical height; maybe 30 feet long.

Splash Mountain's drop will plunge you 52 feet at a 45-degree angle :)

Fastpasssteve
03-17-2012, 04:02 AM
Well, one does ride up that conveyor belt to exit the ride after one disembarks the boat. It goes up quite a bit. Hmmmm...

chrim
03-19-2012, 02:59 AM
Keep in mind that the entrance to the PoTC ride is on the "second floor" of the MK (with the first floor being the Utilidors). When you walk down the queue and ride down the waterfall, you are basically going down to ground level. You might be slightly below ground level, but I don't think it is much.

I doubt there are any Utilidors under the ride portion of the PoTC, although there might be under part of the queue and the gift shop.

(I am hoping this reply does not remove any of the magic for anyone. I am just hoping it makes the ride seem more friendly/welcoming.)

dizneydeb22
03-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Keep in mind that the entrance to the PoTC ride is on the "second floor" of the MK (with the first floor being the Utilidors). When you walk down the queue and ride down the waterfall, you are basically going down to ground level. You might be slightly below ground level, but I don't think it is much.

I doubt there are any Utilidors under the ride portion of the PoTC, although there might be under part of the queue and the gift shop.

(I am hoping this reply does not remove any of the magic for anyone. I am just hoping it makes the ride seem more friendly/welcoming.)

I think your reply adds to the magic! I find it fascinating that there are tunnels under the Magic Kingdom! Just one more magical aspect...

phillydan
03-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Think "dip" not "drop".

Ryan Towle
03-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Here's the ride layout. You will see that the narrow area between the two show buildings is where the drop is that leads you underneath the train tracks.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/i19yq8.jpg

joonyer
03-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Cool diagram. Thanks for posting it.