PDA

View Full Version : Question about Spaceship Earth

CajunDisneyDad
03-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Good morning Cotters :)

I have a question that some of you more senior people might know the answer to. In Spaceship Earth, when you pass in the "Garage" scene where it shows the guys playing with the PC "young people shaping the future out of thier garage" Who is this supposed to be? Is it just some random guy, or is it someone specifically. I know all the other scene's it shows random people. DW and I have debated this for a while. Thanks for any information you can give us

eam
03-12-2012, 07:45 AM
I think it is suppose to be Steve Jobs. This has always been my opinion, but I look forward to seeing what other people think. My friend thinks it is Hewlett and Packard being respresented.

Disney Hungarian
03-12-2012, 07:50 AM
I found this article in a popular computer website. Written by: By Andy Dehnart 02.01.08

"LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida -- When images of a mysterious figure in a Disney theme-park attraction made their way online late last year, bloggers speculated that the unnamed geek in the garage was supposed to be either Steve Jobs or Steve Wozniak.
Instead, the scene that illustrates the birth of the personal computer in Epcot's Spaceship Earth ride depicts neither: It is intended to honor all those who worked in garages to fuel the technology revolution, according to the attraction's designers.
"We all looked at that scene as an homage to ... the innovation (that) happened in garages in California," Disney Imagineer and show writer Pam Fisher said, citing the humble roots of companies like Hewlett-Packard and Apple. "There's a lot of this notion of young people in Northern California (working) on kitchen tables, in garages, making the personal computer possible."

BrerGnat
03-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Uh, okay Disney. A "lot" of young people known for building computers in garages? I know of one famous one. In addition, the actual ride narration says "A garage in Northern California".

It's Steve Wozniak, I'd guess. Steve Jobs did not have the technical know how to actually build any hardware when he was young. That was the other Steve.

They probably just don't want to have to pay anyone specific for using their likeness in an attraction. ;)

DizneyRox
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
I've always thought it was a morph of Jobs and the Woz..

It's totally Apple... Too coincidental that it happened shortly after Jobs joined the board. His arrogance is legendary...

CajunDisneyDad
03-12-2012, 11:58 AM
My guess would have been Steve Wozniak, but I can see how it could have been Steve Jobs, or even maybe one of the other pirates of silicon valley :). Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it!

DizneyRox
03-12-2012, 04:32 PM
... pirates of silicon valley
Excellent movie...

DVC2004
03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Good question! I always wondered that, too. I figured it was Jobs since the affiliation with Pixar.

Polynesian Dweller
03-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Uh, okay Disney. A "lot" of young people known for building computers in garages? I know of one famous one. In addition, the actual ride narration says "A garage in Northern California".

Well, for two more, Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard started in a garage in Palo Alto. HP has preserved it as a museum. By the way, that's a few miles north of the garage in Los Altos.

lindique
03-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I seem to remember 2 audio-animatronics in that garage - was I dreaming? I just assumed they were the 2 Steves.

BrerGnat
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Well, for two more, Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard started in a garage in Palo Alto. HP has preserved it as a museum. By the way, that's a few miles north of the garage in Los Altos.

But did Bill or Dave have a beard and glasses? ;)

Just kidding...I didn't know that about H & P.

Fangorn
03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
But did Bill or Dave have a beard and glasses?

Glasses, yes. Beard, no.

Steve

CajunDisneyDad
03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Excellent movie...

I agree. Even though Steve Jobs didnt care for the movie, he told Noah Wyle that he felt he did a great job playing him. He even invited Noah to play him again at a Macworld conference. Wyle gave the first 5 minutes of Steve Jobs keynote, then the real Jobs "Stormed" out on the stage and told him he was doing it wrong, then introduced him and finished up the keynote.

But back to the movie, it was documenting history. Can you imagine where we might be today if these guys hadnt made the advancements in personal computers that they did... well we wouldnt have intercot lol :)