PDA

View Full Version : The wild success of Toy Story Mania

Aurora
03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
On our last trip in June, we took the conventional advice of how to do Toy Story Mania, and boy, were we glad. We got there before park opening, followed the throngs to the Fast Pass machines, and got our FPs for a return time of almost two hours later. When we returned at that time to ride, the FP machines were covered, having given out all the Fass Passes for the day.

I've thought about that experience a lot while reading these threads and wondered, how can a ride that's almost four years old still be not only one of the most popular rides on property, but arguably THE most popular?

It's certainly not a traditional thrill ride, which tends to draw big crowds, and it's extremely simple. When I first heard the concept, I thought it sounded -- well, to tell you the truth, stupid.

But riding it is really like being a kid again. So at the risk of sounding like a giant Disney cornball, I came to the conclusion that it was just what Walt was looking for: something that parents and children could have fun doing together. Its simplicity and fun is part of its popularity. It's bright, colorful, musical, and interactive, and it's a ride. Kids and adults are on the same level.

Why do you think it's such a great attraction, and why do you think it's still so popular even now?

joonyer
03-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Why is it still so popular?

1) Well as you mentioned, it's FUN. making you feel like a kid is the essence of what theme parks are all about. And if you're still a kid, well, then it's FUN! And it's fun for ALL AGES, more so that than the other all age rides like the older classic dark rides (Snow White, Pooh, Peter Pan, etc.) which appeal mostly just to families with younger kids.

2) Everyone can ride it. Even infants. Even people with bad backs or medical issues. And it's not scary or too thrilling (physically). All of the other WDW attractions with those limitations reduce the number of people that get in those lines. And many families or groups with one of those kinds of people may decide for their whole group skip an attraction if everyone in their group can't or may be afraid to ride.

3) it's relatively slow loading (riders per hour), slower than many of the popular WDW attractions. (About 850 people per hour I think).

Combine those three things = long lines all day, every day.

dizneydeb22
03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
I agree with all of the given answers....I'll offer one more: There really aren't many rides available for toddlers and pre-schoolers at HS. Most of the available things for them to do are shows. When our son was younger, HS was pretty much a half day park for us.

Ian
03-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Well, unfortunately, I'm going to be a bit negative in terms of why I think the lines are still so crazy ... I think it's because there hasn't been anything else new and cool at DHS in over a decade. It's really the only thing that every guest in the park can enjoy together that's worth waiting in line for.

The other reason I would think draws people back is the competition aspect. I think there's a heavy dose of that, "Hey, I can do better! I want to beat my score! I want to beat that guy's score!" going on with TSM.

Stu29573
03-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Ok, at the risk of making someone mad, here is my opinion.

I don't think its a "great" ride. I think its a very good ride, but I wouldn't put it in the E ticket "uber classic" catagory. The theming is ok, but it really doesn't knock your socks off. The ride itself is fairly simple, and there isn't much story to it. So why is it always packed?

I think it has to do with the top three rules of real estate "location, location, location." It is placed in a weak park for families (and a little light on attractions no matter how you slice it). People with families want to ride something together, and TSM is about it at DHS. You put a better variety of attractions in and teh lines will go down to Califonia Adventure TSM levels...

Dopey's Girl
03-08-2012, 04:30 PM
I agree with Ian. It's a really fun ride, but because there has been nothing new or exciting added in a long time at DHS, it feels even better to some.

I love the ride, but refuse to be herded like cattle back there in that narrow alley, so I don't get to ride much. If they ever add anything new to DHS (non thrill ride) that the younger visitors can take part in, it may eliminate some of the chaos back there, and I will venture back to see it again.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-08-2012, 04:35 PM
In my opinion because DHS has some of the least appealing attractions of any of the parks so we skip a lot of things here and like others said they haven't added anything new in a while.

ronandjulie
03-08-2012, 04:36 PM
WDW is expensive and out of reach for many people. People come at dfferent intervals. Some several times per year all the way to once a decade. Some come for their first time. I met peole this weekend that weren't at WDW for their 1st time, yet Mission:Space was new to them. TSMM will be "New" and busy for a very long time. I also agree the TSMM is not an "E Ticket" attraction. There's just not much else to choose from at HS except for more intense attractions like RNR, ToT and ST

linedropper
03-09-2012, 12:16 AM
MO

I dont think it is the competition, And I dont think it is location! I agree it makes me feel like a kid again! It is just a fun ride and I think the simpleness just draws people in! Not over decorated! It is what it is. I thought Buzz Lightyear was great when I went through the first time. Never would imagine Toy Story would come along and make buzz lightyear at MK look like a dinosaur. Perfectly imagineered ride! Just what Walt was looking for!

mechanic
03-09-2012, 02:28 AM
Wow. I was just going to say that space ranger spin is just as good and usually way shorter lines. I do enjoy the 3d effects on mania though.

K8screen
03-09-2012, 03:58 AM
I think it has to do with the top three rules of real estate "location, location, location." It is placed in a weak park for families (and a little light on attractions no matter how you slice it). People with families want to ride something together, and TSM is about it at DHS. You put a better variety of attractions in and teh lines will go down to Califonia Adventure TSM levels...

I rode TSM in California the first year it opened, on 4th July. I got in standby line at 2pm, and was out of ride by 3.30. I would agree with you entirely.

disneynarula
03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
This ride is also very popular at Disney's California Adventure. However at that park there are a good variety of rides to experience. We waited in line for 40 minutes several times. We were there during a fairly peak time of year and most of the ride waits we about that long. There is no Fast Pass option for Toy Story at DLP. This really surprised me. I wonder what the lines would be like at WDW if there were not FP option? Would they still be 90 minutes long?

My DH loves TSM and I know it has to do with the gaming aspect. He is not a big Disney Fan but he wanted to keep riding to "beat his score". He was even willing to stand in the standby line for 90 minutes.

Like some other posters said ... there are not many rides for toddlers at HS. The Great Movie ride and Toy Story Mania are about all there is. IMHO this park is the one that needed a big revamp, not Magic Kingdom. It has some of my favorite rides but is not my favorite parks by any means.

Stu29573
03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
This ride is also very popular at Disney's California adventure where there are a good variety of rides to experience. We waited in line

My DH loves TSM and I know it has to do with the gaming aspect. He is not a big Disney Fan but he wanted to keep riding to beat his score!

My boys loved it too!

But its not nearly AS popular. You almost never hear of Fastpasses running out, for example.

I agree that its a very good ride. (not great, not classic, but very good) My point is that its location adds to its line woes more than anything.

Melanie
03-09-2012, 09:30 AM
But its not nearly AS popular. You almost never hear of Fastpasses running out, for example.

If I'm not mistaken, there is no FASTPASS for TSMM at California Adventure.

Stu29573
03-09-2012, 10:25 AM
If I'm not mistaken, there is no FASTPASS for TSMM at California Adventure.

Ok, that makes sense as to why they never run out (LOL). That also shows the differnt levels of popularity. They don't even think it needs Fastpass at CA.

I'm not bashing TSM. I've ridden it a couple of times and enjoyed it. I just think it doesn't stand up to true classics (read "Haunted Mansion" or "Pirates of the Carribean" or even "Tower of Terror") and I don't think it lives up to the hype.

MOJoe
03-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Ok, at the risk of making someone mad, here is my opinion.

I don't think its a "great" ride. I think its a very good ride, but I wouldn't put it in the E ticket "uber classic" catagory. The theming is ok, but it really doesn't knock your socks off. The ride itself is fairly simple, and there isn't much story to it. So why is it always packed?

People with families want to ride something together, and TSM is about it at DHS.

I agree that TSM is not an E ticket or classic attraction. I once got flamed for saying this on another Disney fan site. :mad: The best i can say about this ride is that it is fun and cute. But for me, it is not worth standing in line for over an hour.
I also agree that there are very few "rides" in DHS that everyone can enjoy. Add to this that TSM is a slow loading, low capacity attraction and you have a recipe for very long lines.

In defense of DHS, this park is highly geared towards live shows. Indy, LMA, American Idol, Little Mermaid, Beauty, and whatever is currently at the Playhouse are all good attractions. So to say that there is nothing to do in this park overlooks what DHS is really all about. There is nothing to do at Animal Kingdom either if you don't care for animals.

MarkC
03-09-2012, 10:43 AM
I just think its a ride that everyone in the family loves, regardless of age. Plus there's that competitive "I beat you" trash talking you get to do or hear at the end of the ride. Its mindless fun no matter how old you are.

Stu29573
03-09-2012, 10:43 AM
I agree that TSM is not an E ticket or classic attraction. I once got flamed for saying this on another Disney fan site. :mad: The best i can say about this ride is that it is fun and cute. But for me, it is not worth standing in line for over an hour.
I also agree that there are very few "rides" in DHS that everyone can enjoy. Add to this that TSM is a slow loading, low capacity attraction and you have a recipe for very long lines.

In defense of DHS, this park is highly geared towards live shows. Indy, LMA, American Idol, Little Mermaid, Beauty, and whatever is currently at the Playhouse are all good attractions. So to say that there is nothing to do in this park overlooks what DHS is really all about. There is nothing to do at Animal Kingdom either if you don't care for animals.

I agree that DHS is actually more about the shows. I can remember (fondly) when it was an actual working animation studio. Back then it didn't really seem to need as many rides, since it was clear that the rides weren't the main attraction. Now, the whole place just seems a little...well...."unfocused" to me. I say if you're going to lose the "real studio" aspect of the park, then at least put in lots of rides. Of course that's a rant for a different day. lol. :D

Jared
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Well, unfortunately, I'm going to be a bit negative in terms of why I think the lines are still so crazy ... I think it's because there hasn't been anything else new and cool at DHS in over a decade.
I would argue that the updated Star Tours counts as "new and cool." It's long overdue, and we can quibble over whether it should actually count as a "new" attraction, but a vast, vast majority of Disney fans have nothing but praise for it. Just last week I rode with a huge Disney fan making his first flight on the new version, he came out saying it was a legitimate E-Ticket. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I do think it's wonderful.

I think this is it. I don't look at Toy Story Mania as an E-Ticket, either, but it's definitely a solid "D." It's one of the most enjoyable attractions on Disney property in my mind, even if it isn't particularly ambitious.

Hollywood Studios is desperate for family rides as constituted. A larger Pixar Place expansion one day would hopefully address that problem. But for now, the lines at Toy Story Mania will stay long because groups with small children simply want something to do! And this, by far, is the best option. Kids adore Toy Story Mania.

Ok, that makes sense as to why they never run out (LOL). That also shows the differnt levels of popularity. They don't even think it needs Fastpass at CA.
Just to clarify, Toy Story Mania is extremely popular at California Adventure. Let's not downplay that. It routinely has lines of close to an hour on busy days, which is perfectly reasonable considering what it is. California Adventure also has a larger and better attraction lineup these days, so there's more to disperse the crowds.

As for the Fastpass situation, that is less about the ride's popularity and more about the philosophical difference regarding Fastpass between Disneyland and World. The California management team has not relied on Fastpass nearly as much as its Florida cousin.

Stu29573
03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Just to clarify, Toy Story Mania is extremely popular at California Adventure. Let's not downplay that. It routinely has lines of close to an hour on busy days, which is perfectly reasonable considering what it is. California Adventure also has a larger and better attraction lineup these days, so there's more to disperse the crowds.

As for the Fastpass situation, that is less about the ride's popularity and more about the philosophical difference regarding Fastpass between Disneyland and World. The California management team has not relied on Fastpass nearly as much as its Florida cousin.

I didn't mean to say that its not popular, I just meant that the wait times are more reasonable due to the bigger variety of attractions.

As far as the "not needing a Fastpass" quip goes, that was meant rather tongue in cheek. :thumbsup:

Jared
03-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I didn't mean to say that its not popular, I just meant that the wait times are more reasonable due to the bigger variety of attractions.

As far as the "not needing a Fastpass" quip goes, that was meant rather tongue in cheek. :thumbsup:
Agreed. Who thought we'd see a day where we're talking about California Adventure having a better attraction lineup than any park?

When Cars opens, can we make a legitimate argument that the best two domestic Disney parks are both in California? I think so.

Stu29573
03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Agreed. Who thought we'd see a day where we're talking about California Adventure having a better attraction lineup than any park?

When Cars opens, can we make a legitimate argument that the best two domestic Disney parks are both in California? I think so.

Very true. Although I havent been to Cali in years, it might be about time.....

disneynarula
03-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Being a huge WDW fan I was surprised how much I loved the California Adventure. My mother was too. We had both hear awful things about the California Parks but they were awesome! I would love to see the Mike and Sulley ride at DHS. It would be a great ride for toddlers too.

BrerGnat
03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I hate that I'm even saying this, but for MY kids, it's popular because...

...it's interactive, in a way that Buzz Lightyear (for example) is NOT. On TSMM, you get to stop and play, and you can see the score immediately on the screen when you hit a target/pop a balloon/ring an alien, etc. On Buzz, you just shoot, but you can't really see where you are shooting, so it's not as satisfying. My son LOVES this ride. It's truly the only ride he really, fully enjoys. And, you know what they say:

"Kids these days." :rolleyes:

MrPeetrie
03-09-2012, 04:06 PM
I must be the only one who thinks the emperor has no clothes.

After all the posts I've read, I was really expecting to be blown away. But after finally riding it, I thought TSM was just a good ride. not amazing. And we had no desire to wait in line and ride it again.

When we return, we will FP it and ride it once. If we miss our window, then we probably won't ride it again.

(I think my expectations were too high.)

Auroring Good Time
03-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Love TSM, I like the competition aspect of it. I won't wait more than an hour for it or any ride. I do agree that DHS needs more attractions. It really is a half day park. We hit the 4 big attractions and then head out.

Another difference with California Adventure, they have a single rider line.

Babe the Blue Ox
03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I prefer to ride Midway Mania late in the day when the masses have gone to the first showing of Fantasmic.

You can often ride it 3 times during the last hour that the park is open, and then have plenty of time to stroll over and catch the late, less crowded presentation of Fantasmic.

The key to these two very popular attractions is to hit them when most visitors are somewhere else.

Super Ninja
03-13-2012, 01:47 PM
This ride is absolutely horrendous. In fact, I'd put it as my least favorite. I'd rather ride the boat at the Land 5 times in a row than ride this.

Why? Because all it is is a huge LCD monitor. Seriously, it's not even a ride. You are looking at a video screen. I don't know if everyone here is to old to have played a Playstation or X-Box, but I can look at "interactive" CGI at home. I don't need to fly to Florida for it.

The Spaceranger Spin ride is far superior, because it has actual sets with props and stuff. I honestly think it's more interactive just due to the amount of targets in the ride. Plus you can actually spin the thing around. Far superior from every angle.

If this is the new direction rides are going on, it's sad. Digital isn't always superior. Even if this is supposed to be a kiddy attraction, it could at least be an actual dark ride or something.

Quadstriker
03-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Digital isn't always superior.

The massive lines would disagree with you in this case.

Super Ninja
03-13-2012, 02:14 PM
The massive lines would disagree with you in this case.

It's not a good ride. Why does it have massive lines? It's the only kiddy ride in the park pretty much. Very easy to understand.

If "rides" are now just playing boring videogames on larger monitors, I think it would be a wiser idea to save money and go camping or something. At least Star Tours actually simulates motion.

Disney needs to add a little something extra that can't be experienced anywhere else. Other wise there will be no reason to go there anymore. Kind of similar to how if evrything is available digital, there's no reason to go to a book store or movie theater anymore. It's cannibalization often, which is not good.

darthmacho
03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
We will be riding it for the first time this year since it was down for a refurb on our 2010 trip. I don't have any idea why it is so popular, or the lines are so long, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

What I do wonder is this: If TSM is so popular, why not duplicate it with the exact same type of ride on the other end of the park? They could give it a Muppets theme and put it right near Muppets 3D, or anywhere in the Streets of America area since it's a lot of space without a true attraction.

Who's with me? :beaker:

Super Ninja
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
We will be riding it for the first time this year since it was down for a refurb on our 2010 trip. I don't have any idea why it is so popular, or the lines are so long, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

What I do wonder is this: If TSM is so popular, why not duplicate it with the exact same type of ride on the other end of the park? They could give it a Muppets theme and put it right near Muppets 3D, or anywhere in the Streets of America area since it's a lot of space without a true attraction.

Who's with me? :beaker:

How about an actual non-LCD screen based attraction based on a classic movie? What about a Godzilla dark ride or something? It could be a neat ride and they could pimp toys at the end of it. Everyone wins. I think the Muppets have enough of a presence at DHS already.

whitney37354
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
I can't figure out why it's so popular. I bought a plug & play game that is identical---no lines to stand in & we can play as long as we like! We did as OP did & still had a good wait in the FP line.

Jared
03-14-2012, 01:46 PM
How about an actual non-LCD screen based attraction based on a classic movie? What about a Godzilla dark ride or something? It could be a neat ride and they could pimp toys at the end of it. Everyone wins. I think the Muppets have enough of a presence at DHS already.
Definitely agree with your point about the abundance of screen-based attractions invading the parks. Live sets will always trump screens. Thank goodness for the upcoming Mermaid ride, which includes plenty of fully articulated Animatronics. Even Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, the premiere theme-park experience in the world these days, relies on screens a bit too much for my taste.

I disagree with your comment about the Muppets, though. An old 3D movie is not enough for this franchise. I would support a Muppet Studios expansion at Hollywood Studios.

I can't figure out why it's so popular. I bought a plug & play game that is identical---no lines to stand in & we can play as long as we like! We did as OP did & still had a good wait in the FP line.
I get where you're going, but do you really think the videogame adequately mimics the attraction? I've done both, and I think the ride is far, far superior.

CuteAsMinnie
03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I think its popularity has more to do with good clean fun than anything else. Everyone loves to remember their happy childhood times, even if it's just for a minute or two.
:mickey:

darthmacho
03-15-2012, 07:14 AM

I'm all for dark rides! Count me in! :mickey:

NJDad
03-15-2012, 07:19 AM
I find the video game and ride to be comparable to watching a POV video of a roller coaster and riding an actual roller coaster.

whitney37354
03-15-2012, 01:27 PM
I find the video game and ride to be comparable to watching a POV video of a roller coaster and riding an actual roller coaster.

It's just not worth standing in line for hours for the ride, IMO. Also, at home I'm not getting slung around in my seat before each new game begins.

Normally we wouldn't stand in long lines for a ride, but we did for Space Mountain just because we had time & for Peter Pan's Flight, because we were doing all of our family's favorite rides, & this one is DD's. As long as you are not in a hurry & have time to kill, knock yourself out standing in line!:thumbsup:

Melanie
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm very happy to report that we were in DHS yesterday, and it's very welcome change how they are now opening the turnstiles around 10 minutes before scheduled opening time and not holding the crowds at the end of Hollywood Blvd. Now it's a more controlled flow back to Toy Story Mania, not the crazy rush that happened after the opening ceremony.

When we got back there to the FastPass distribution, I asked the CM how it was working with the strict return times and he said overall it was fine from the guest perspective and that they'd seen the FP wait times go down from upwards of 30 mins to about a 10 minute wait average. He said it was all very positive.

These two factors make the overall experience more enjoyable for me and let me enjoy the actual ride more. :thumbsup:

Jared
03-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Great to hear, Melanie. When I was there over Martin Luther King weekend, I heard they were opening Toy Story Mania up to 30 minutes before the rest of the park! That may have been a trial sort of deal, but it's clear that Disney is fiddling with the Hollywood Studios entrance procedures. The right people are noticing the problems with this attraction.

NJDad
03-16-2012, 06:33 AM
It's just not worth standing in line for hours for the ride, IMO. Also, at home I'm not getting slung around in my seat before each new game begins.

Normally we wouldn't stand in long lines for a ride, but we did for Space Mountain just because we had time & for Peter Pan's Flight, because we were doing all of our family's favorite rides, & this one is DD's. As long as you are not in a hurry & have time to kill, knock yourself out standing in line!:thumbsup:

I have a kid who doesn't sleep in while at DW so getting there before the massive line starts is not an issue.

Katzateer
03-16-2012, 11:08 AM
I think its popularity has more to do with good clean fun than anything else. Everyone loves to remember their happy childhood times, even if it's just for a minute or two.
:mickey:

I agree! It's fun!! love it but won't stand in line for a long wait.

Super Ninja
03-16-2012, 08:50 PM
I disagree with your comment about the Muppets, though. An old 3D movie is not enough for this franchise. I would support a Muppet Studios expansion at Hollywood Studios.

I honestly think the reason Muppets was given a new movie was to give the 3D movie more relevancy. It probably achieved that much and some more, but I think further investment at the park would be a waste of money.

I think people need to think more outside the box in regards to Disney Hollywood Studio. The emphasis on new attractions I think should be on drawing attention to classic or great movies, not just pimping Disney's own properties.

I get where you're going, but do you really think the videogame adequately mimics the attraction? I've done both, and I think the ride is far, far superior.

Most videogames are better than the attraction. I think that's kind of where it fails conceptually. This is probably only really engaging to children too young to own a videogame system. While that covers a lot of visitors, it also greatly limits the appeal to people probably ages 10-40 or something.

I agree. I'm left feeling rather un-moved by this "ride." This is not the case with basically anything else I can think of at the parks.

Fastpasssteve
03-17-2012, 03:51 AM
I have never seen an attraction that had such broad appeal before. it is STILL amazing. I wish HS would open a couple more attractions that would syphon-off some of the crowds...but to no avail.